What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PS200B audio panel/radio

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Anyone have any experience with this? Is the 6 watt transmitter enough juice? Thinking about pairing this with a dynon system when I eventually go that direction

Anyone have any experience with this? Is the 6 watt transmitter enough juice? Thinking about pairing this with a dynon system when I eventually go that direction

Power output on range is logarithmic. You will be hard pressed to notice a difference between 6 and 10 watt outputs.

But….
I too was looking at the PS200B to pair with the GTN-650 and full SkyView install. But with the nice TRIG TX-56A NAV/Comm now available, I’ll pair it with the Garmin GNC355. This will save a pot of money, provide the same capability but have and independent NAV/LOC/GS feeding the SkyView.

The only problem is PS Engineering stopped making the wonderful PDA-360EX audio panel. It seems they consolidated on TSO stuff. Now looking for an alternative (other than Garmin). May go with the TRIG offering if not another PS-Engineering.

Carl

Last edited:
That’s what I figured. Right now the plan is dynon pfd, with gps 175. The dealer has me basically talked into the dynon radio, which will require an audio panel, cuz I want a Bluetooth intercom.

The original plan was a gps 175, GTR200B for Bluetooth and intercom/radio, and just a dynon for the PFD standard instruments. Just want the most bang for the buck for IFR, don’t need it crazy as 99 percent of the flying is 30 min or less of acro. I want the ability to fly instrument if I need it.

PSEngineering PAR200B

I just added the PAR200B to my AFS5600 system. I previously had a single Dynon (also with the remote Trig transceiver) and a stand alone AFS intercom. Wiring it into the AFS Control Module made this a relatively easy mod. Running another Com antenna was a pain in the RV8.

Not thrilled with some features. Buttons with multiple functions can lead to multiple pushes to get where you want. Intercom does not have a squelch adjustment, so a headset with mic gain might be mandatory. I had to use the mic gain on my Lightspeed to prevent unwanted intercom opening. It has a remote "Swap" function from Com1 to Com2, but no remote flip/flop to switch standby to primary. And the button to push on the panel is NOT the one with the arrows, but the one with the line next to it. Haven't investigated any of the Bluetooth functions yet.

Once setup correctly, I suspect I'll get used to it. But I doubt I'll ever be a real fan.

Thank you for the feed back, I'm wondering how the trig stuff is. Why was it hard to add a second antenna?

I just added the PAR200B to my AFS5600 system. I previously had a single Dynon (also with the remote Trig transceiver) and a stand alone AFS intercom. Wiring it into the AFS Control Module made this a relatively easy mod. Running another Com antenna was a pain in the RV8.

Not thrilled with some features. Buttons with multiple functions can lead to multiple pushes to get where you want. Intercom does not have a squelch adjustment, so a headset with mic gain might be mandatory. I had to use the mic gain on my Lightspeed to prevent unwanted intercom opening. It has a remote "Swap" function from Com1 to Com2, but no remote flip/flop to switch standby to primary. And the button to push on the panel is NOT the one with the arrows, but the one with the line next to it. Haven't investigated any of the Bluetooth functions yet.

Once setup correctly, I suspect I'll get used to it. But I doubt I'll ever be a real fan.
Hi Jim, thanks for the PIREP. Regarding the intercom trip level, it's important to have the mic no further than 1/4" away from your mouth. The gain adjustment on the Lightspeed is very handy when the cockpit noise is extra loud. IntelliVox hasn't changed since 1997 when we patented it and frankly, it has been very well received.

The top softkey controls what the concentric knobs on the left side do. When " Frq" is displayed, the knobs change Mhz and Khz, when it say "Vol" then the small knob changes the intercom volume and the large knob changes the radio volume.

The top softkey, if held in for several seconds, does get you to a second setup screen, but this is a one-time setup. It allows you to adjust the radio transmit sidetone, and whether the radio will act as a 25 kHz or an 8.33 kHz radio. No other function related to the top softkey.

The middle softkey is simply for storing and recalling frequencies, there are no other functions related to the middle softkey.

The bottom softkey (double arrow graphic) has two functions. A short press swaps the standby frequency to the active frequency. If you press and HOLD the button soft key, it turns on and off our IntelliAudio. IntelliAudio places Com 1 at the 10 o'clock position and Com 2 at the 2 o'clock position.

There are no functions that are not labeled (hidden). Pressing and holding the N2 button (SPR) turns the cabin speak on and off and by pressing and holding the N1 Button (MON) it turns on and off the Monitor function. When this is on, you'll hear both frequencies but when the primary frequency becomes active, the standby frequency is muted.

I hope some of the explanations will make flying behind the PAR200B a bit easier and thank you very much for trusting us with your audio control.

Back