What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The Petit Jean 2022 Gathering is ON! Sept 16-18

BillSchlatterer

Well Known Member
The 2022 Gathering is ON ON ON. :D We will be gathering on the RV Mountain on Sept 16-18 with an early arrival day on Thursday the 15th. Usual great dinner at Mather Thursday night. Everything else is at the Rockefeller Center or on the ramp. From just hanging with old friends, to walking some amazing nature trials, and even taking a shot at some of those dastardly Petit Jean Trained Balloons with your fighter RVs... it's just going to be an awesome all RV Easy weekend on the Mountain. So yes.. It's all RV and it's happening on the RV Mountain at Petit Jean. Ask around ... a couple hundred of your closest RV buddies and buddettes can't be wrong �� Rooms are already scarce...

img_2022_07_12_115433_01-70503050.jpg

Check out Paul & Beth Duffs video from last year and then book it tonight!

img_2022_07_07_182852_01-59252107.jpg

Video Click Here --> : https://www.youtube.com/embed/ngGA2U6iyZQ

What do I do now :rolleyes: Welllll.... how about you can check out all the details at www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com and use the Reserve My Room process on the Registration Page of the website. For some detailed reading on the RESERVE MY ROOM process you can check out the link to this PDF http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=8274391&da=y

Remember, everything we use has to be hauled up to the mountain so planning is really big for food and transportation. Even if you don't need rooms, we still need you to register so we know you're coming. If you don't do anything else, please fill out the online registration form if you're planning on coming.... and then just let us know if you're not! Click here for the OnLine Registration https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PetitJean2022

We're hard at it... planning, packing, and getting ready just so you can have that special RV Easy weekend on the mountain. All your Petit Jean friends, lot'sa great food, great flying skills :rolleyes: great trails, more green slushies ;), and whatever else entertains you! Hope you can make it to the RV Mountain ... bring a friend, make a friend, leave with a forever friend ....we'll be looking for you...75 miles out :D

Sponsored by EAA 165, Pres. Jerry Homsley and all the Petit Jean Indians! Please let us know if you're coming Thursday, that's always a scramble but we got you covered!

Last edited:
Fall Colors at their peak

Can’t wait for the Petit Jean Gathering on the Mountain! It’s a few weeks earlier this year which means the mountain will be dressed in it’s beautiful fall colors. The hiking trails will be like you have never seen them before. We are expecting well over 100 RVs this year with good weather. And even though rooms are limited (need to reserve one now) we have a great camping area and always room for more tents with onsite bathrooms and showers. Come join the Gathering at the nations largest all RV event. We promise good food, good friends, RV fun and RV easy! 😎
Jerry Homsley, Pres. EAA Chapt 165

Excited to attend our first PJ!

We booked at Mather Lodge when RCC looked full on their site but would switch to RCC if its available.

Excited to attend our first PJ!

We booked at Mather Lodge when RCC looked full on their site but would switch to RCC if its available.

You can't book the RCC directly by yourself (not a hotel per se, but a conference center with lodging). Need to go through the event registration process that Bill mentioned. When the time comes, you will get e group code, call the RCC at that point and give them your payment info.

Rumors

Just to confirm or deny rumors … their may or may not be some larger enemy balloons for the tactically challenged group …. Ughhh Sid 🤗

Plus 1

Just to confirm or deny rumors … their may or may not be some larger enemy balloons for the tactically challenged group …. Ughhh Sid 🤗

Plus 1 for the larger enemy balloons, I would also like to request balloons with affinity or positive attraction for blue and white 3 bladed propellors :D
Figs

Plus 1 for the larger enemy balloons, I would also like to request balloons with affinity or positive attraction for blue and white 3 bladed propellors :D
Figs

Every year, this just gets better and better. It's easy, it's fun, and it is definitely a challenge! Thousands :rolleyes: watching from the campgrounds, Slushies on the ramp for the PJ spectators, and even the odd personal wager :D

img_2022_07_10_092106_01-47612488.jpg

img_2022_07_10_092106_02-56268048.jpg

img_2022_07_10_092107_04-45073879.jpg

Starting to get tight on rooms but always have campground sites available! See first post in this thread for registration details.

Hey ... do we have an RV driver who is also an auctioneer? On Saturday night at Petit Jean under the big circus tent we call our raffle numbers for nice prizes and also auction some other items... we could use a real auctioneer. I’ve done it the last several years and will again if pressed into service, but a real pro would be great.... Any takers out there?
Can’t wait for the Gathering on the Mountain! See y’all there! 😎

Homie

This year is going to be epic! I’ve blocked off my calendar and am counting down the days! Alisha and I had a wonderful time last year, although it was our first year to attend, we were made to feel at home from the start. It’s just a whole lot of fun and RV fellowship! EAA 165 out of Little Rock does an unbelievable job of organizing this event. If you haven’t been you are missing out on one of the best and most fun aviation events of the year.

Attachments

• B51DD1C8-6F5A-4437-8E89-2F91F5102FB4.jpg
    B51DD1C8-6F5A-4437-8E89-2F91F5102FB4.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 176
Hey ... do we have an RV driver who is also an auctioneer? On Saturday night at Petit Jean under the big circus tent we call our raffle numbers for nice prizes and also auction some other items... we could use a real auctioneer. I’ve done it the last several years and will again if pressed into service, but a real pro would be great.... Any takers out there?
Can’t wait for the Gathering on the Mountain! See y’all there! 😎

Homie

You are pretty darn close to a professional....

-Dan

Petit Jean Balloon Bust!

I'm on the hunt. After scoring #1 Loser (ie 2nd place) the first year, and a wash the 2nd time, I do believe this year's Balloon Bust trophy will be MINE this year.

MINE!

Kelli and I can't wait for yet another fantastic PJ gathering on the mountain.

Can’t wait! This is an awesome event. This one’s all about the RV community. No vendors, no forums, no flight time restrictions. Just RV folks and their airplanes having a great time! Wouldn’t miss this without something major keeping me away! Still space I believe.

And Scroll, I’ve installed a turbine fan from a 747 in lieu of a propellor for this year, so you haven’t got a prayer dude!

Last edited:
I'm on the hunt. After scoring #1 Loser (ie 2nd place) the first year, and a wash the 2nd time, I do believe this year's Balloon Bust trophy will be MINE this year.

Once a fighter pilot, always a fighter pilot ;)

But the streamer thing .....

So I think it was Dan Horton that conclusively proved with math and pictures that a balloon could make it through the prop without breaking. :rolleyes: I think he also proved a three blade was better than a two blade so a turbine fan must be better yet!

So man ... you guys went to a lot of trouble to develop like ... Best Excuse 1 for a miss :cool: but yet no one has addressed how that pesky 5 foot streamer gets through ... OK just saying ..... :confused:

So does that E6 calculator have an answer ... Inquiring minds want to know :D

PS ... about 10 rooms left at the RCC

So I think it was Dan Horton that conclusively proved with math and pictures that a balloon could make it through the prop without breaking. :rolleyes: I think he also proved a three blade was better than a two blade so a turbine fan must be better yet!

So man ... you guys went to a lot of trouble to develop like ... Best Excuse 1 for a miss :cool: but yet no one has addressed how that pesky 5 foot streamer gets through ... OK just saying ..... :confused:

Actually, it was Jesse. I agree of course, without reservation or doubt. The math is irrefutable. Or at least sounds convincing.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=165287

Video courtesy of Paul and Beth Duff. Use Tools (the little gear icon) to slow playback to 1/4 speed. Watch the balloons track up, over the canopy, and then back down the turtledeck.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxNGIC8MJorYb-ALzXecuiNgMeX9dWvAID

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

Attachments

• Balloon3.jpg
    Balloon3.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Balloon2.jpg
    Balloon2.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 154
  • Balloon1.jpg
    Balloon1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
But but but ..... the streamer ???

Ok I agree you made them dance and maaaayybbee they got through but what about the 5 foot streamer. I think this might help ... working on them right now :D

bourg%20050.jpg

Be there and try it for yourself .... ;)

I instruct the B777 at American. I'm working the mounting weldment for the GE 90-115 N1 fan on my Lyco IO-360 M1B. It'll totally work. Balloons...fear me.

Attachments

• GE 90-115.jpg
    GE 90-115.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Slats,
In years past, y'all have brought out fantastic local Arkansas barbecue for the Saturday night dinner. What's in store at this year's PJ Saturday dinner?

Slats,
In years past, y'all have brought out fantastic local Arkansas barbecue for the Saturday night dinner. What's in store at this year's PJ Saturday dinner?

Ribs, pulled pork, smoked chicken, and spaghetti for those not inclined to like really really good BBQ :) Oh... and a little Apple or Peach Cobbler with ice cream to top it off. Served with various choices of adult beverages :rolleyes:

It's RV Easy ..... :D

Room Update Petit Jean RV Gathering Sept 16-18

Not sure what's up but it looks like we have 25'ish planes coming in a day early on Thursday the 15th to help! How good is that :) We have folks scattered on Thursday night between Cedar Lodge, Mather Lodge, and a few at the RCC. As usual we will have a great dinner Thursday night at Mather Lodge for the early arrivals. Might even get in some practice balloon runs Thursday afternoon just for fun if the set up goes quick.

We are getting a pretty large group of campers which we suppose is due to the earlier date but have lots more room for tents.

Get it on your calendar, hit the website and please be sure to do the OnLine Registration so that we can plan appropriately for food and transportation. The trails will be great, hopefully the waterfalls should be running well, the museum is open, and the horses have been fed :D

Check out the photos and video tabs .... www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com

See ya on the Mountain :)

Bill

Getting ready.

Not sure the laser will be done in time.

Attachments

• Balloon.jpg
    Balloon.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
We've got family in Hot Springs (KHOT), so should be dropping in for Saturday in "Clifford", the big red RV10.

.50 Cal sounded good but needed birdshot :)

Getting ready.

Not sure the laser will be done in time.

I personally liked the .50 Cal you used last year ;) but the rate of fire seemed a little slow. Hopefully, you can pick it up a little this year. Also might suggest an auto 12 gauge with bird shot might help with those dancing balloons :D maybe put that under the other wing :rolleyes:

I’m gonna need baby holders if I drop by……

Attachments

• 5C432501-DFEB-430E-80D0-973DBB04ADD7.jpg
    5C432501-DFEB-430E-80D0-973DBB04ADD7.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 101
Room Update

We have a couple single rooms and two 2 BR townhouses left. More Campers registered than ever before but always room for more :D. Must be liking the earlier date! :)

See you on the Mountain!

Actually, it was Jesse. I agree of course, without reservation or doubt. The math is irrefutable. Or at least sounds convincing.

https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=165287

Video courtesy of Paul and Beth Duff. Use Tools (the little gear icon) to slow playback to 1/4 speed. Watch the balloons track up, over the canopy, and then back down the turtledeck.

https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxNGIC8MJorYb-ALzXecuiNgMeX9dWvAID

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;)

Hmmmmm..... check that last picture.... seems like it still has a streamer attached but that could be camera angle I suppose :confused::)

Petit Jean Menu

So just in case you were wondering :rolleyes: what's on the menu this year??? Jerry Homsley, Chief Indian Chef Extraordinaire put together this little summary but left out all of the off-menu stuff that lives in MargaritaVille :D Not saying it's something you can't live without ... but you'll be sorry if you try while you're on the RV Mountain. It's RV Easy and the Petit Jean Indians have it all covered so you and your best copilot, spouse, friend, buddy, dog, cat, or significant other other.... can enjoy Petit Jean and all your Petit Jean friends and PJ Repeats :) with very very little (no) effort on your part!

Always fun to check out the videos on the website www.PetitJeanFlyIn.com

2022 Petit Jean Meal List .... always hot, always plenty :eek:

Thursday Lunch......Campground... Hot Dogs, Potato Salad, Chips, Cookies, Cold drinks & Beverages & other Beerverages :rolleyes:

Thursday Dinner...... Mather Lodge (Pay at Lodge) 6:30 pm

Friday Breakfast......Campground 7:30 - 9:00 am Blueberry Pancakes Sausage Fresh Fruit

Friday Lunch.
........Campground 11:30 - 1:30 pm Hot Grilled Sandwiches Fresh Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup Chips Cookies

Friday Dinner......Tennis Courts at the RCC 6:00 pm
Southern Fried Catfish
Chicken Strips
Fried Shrimp
Fries,
Hushpuppies,
Baked Beans & Cole Slaw
Desert (something RVmazing ;)

Saturday Breakfast......Campground 6:30 pm Bacon Sausage Scrambled Eggs Biscuits Gravy Hot Blueberry Pancakes Fresh Fruit

Saturday Lunch...... Campground 11:30 - 1:30 Fresh Angus Beef Burgers Hot Dogs Potato Salad Chips Cookies

Saturday Dinner......Campground 6:30 pm
Southern Bar-B-Que Dinner
Pulled Pork
Chicken
Ribs
Spaghetti
BBQ Beans & Slaw
Desert

Sunday Breakfast...... Campground 7:30 - 9:00 am Bacon Sausage Scrambled Eggs Biscuits & Gravy Blueberry Pancakes Fresh Fruit

And our promise .... it's always good on the RV Mountain and we absolutely guarentee you a very memorable and very special couple of days.
If you come and don't have a great fun time, we will freely and instantly refund a very very small part of your registration fee :eek:

Jerry
Sent from my iPad

Was planning to make this my first trip and I registered online, but I have not received any communication that it was received. Do those who register receive any confirmation?

Was planning to make this my first trip and I registered online, but I have not received any communication that it was received. Do those who register receive any confirmation?

Eventually :eek: We will start putting out updates Friday and Saturday. If you hit Submit, we have it! Glad you're coming. It's going to be a full house!

Bill

PS ... just checked and did not see the OnLine Registration. I assume you are camping. So try this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PetitJean2022 Be sure and hit submit at the bottom.

Last edited:
Other airplane

Bill,
Judie has a partner in our RV6A and she wants me to fly to Petit Jean with her, so he is flying his award winning O-1 Bird Dog to Petit Jean. Please find him a nice place to park. He is arriving Thursday and is willing to work.

Thanks

Back