What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Flight Simulator to buy?

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Seeking the cumulative knowledge of the group. Please advise as to which Flight Simulator I should buy. Want to 'pre fly' my cross country and shorted flights with the FS. Also need to 'fly' my training routes while using modern EFIS in a moderately slow aircraft. I will be training for my PPC in an ELSA. I'm building an RV-12. Thanks in advance.

X-Plane

For now still on X-Plane 10. Been with X-Plane since beta 9.0, really like it over the others have tried in the past.

Mike

Last edited:
X-Plane 11 is a great sim for doing exactly what you want. I've done the same thing, where I'd fly a route in the sim the night before the actual flight. It helps get familiar the routes, terrain, airports, etc. You can sync your tablet/EFB to the sim as well. I know Foreflight is supported and others. I used Foreflight myself and it works just as if you were actually flying. I've seen many types of EFIS in the sim as well, depending on aircraft. It seems there are so many free and premium aircraft and equipment combinations out there, you should be able to find what you want.

I also second the upcoming Microsoft FS2020. It looks amazing. Having started with FS98 22 years ago when I first started training, it will be fun to see how far its come!

Having started with FS98 22 years ago when I first started training, it will be fun to see how far its come!
FS98? I kicked off with MSFS 4.0, then upgraded to 5.0 and 5.1. :D

Those were the days, when you could set the headwind to 60 knots and hover, but the instant your mainwheels touched down, your groundspeed went from 0 to 60 instantly! :p

Does anyone have experience with Flight Sim X from Steam? I am looking into loading this with the EAA Virtual Flight Academy on our EAA Chapter's flight sim computer. I understand they have a version for Young Eagles etc. that incorporates Aviore the superhero character for EAA.

FS98? I kicked off with MSFS 4.0, then upgraded to 5.0 and 5.1. :D

Those were the days, when you could set the headwind to 60 knots and hover, but the instant your mainwheels touched down, your groundspeed went from 0 to 60 instantly! :p

I used one of the early versions of FS on an Apple 2 in 1979/1980. Pretty sure it was actually written in the mid/late 70s.

I'm flying DCS - Digital Combat Simulator. Hoping that all my A-10 practice gets me ready for the RV-10. After all, a -10 is a -10, right?

showmy.php

Last edited:
I use Prepar3D. Like you, I use it to pre-fly my cross country trips to become familiar with the area. You need to to get photo realistic scenery and accurate terrain mesh to get the full experience.

Like others mentioned, if you can wait for MSFS2020 you would have all this built in, but that's 3 to 6 months away.

I think so...

...but it's beyond my nerd-level. X-Plane 11, which I got recently while waiting for MSFS2020, does come with a 172 that has an "X-Plane 530" which seems to mimic a Garmin 530 fairly well. Still investigating that.

Can you customize panels in any of these sims to add your equipment?

DCS

I'm flying DCS - Digital Combat Simulator. Hoping that all my A-10 practice gets me ready for the RV-10. After all, a -10 is a -10, right?

showmy.php
Nice rig! I recommend giving VR goggles a try. I'm using DCS World with Oculus Rift and it's impressive. You need a really powerful everything, but with the right equipment it's so close to real flying I sometimes forget I'm in a sim.

I mainly fly taildraggers in the sim since my goal is to stay fresh on the rudder skills. There is a lot of variance! I find the Spitfire is the hardest, P51 pretty easy, same with the Christen Eagle II.

Also, engine failure at X00 feet to see if you can get back to the runway is interesting.

Can you customize panels in any of these sims to add your equipment?

X-Plane = Yes.

Have changed my panel on several of the free down loadable models. Usually you have to use what is available, unless you know how to create your own.

With X-Plane you can design and create your own aircraft, using the included "planemaker", and plot your own airfoils etc..

Mike

Last edited:
Wow, my internet is slow. I just started downloading the demo of X-Plane 11 and it said it was going to take 7 hours then a minute later now says 4 hours :D:D:D

Since you have an RV-8, try this RV-8 Sim for X-Plane 11 by AoA Simulations:

https://store.x-plane.org/search_ad...eSize=24&filter=#Manufacturer:AOA Simulations

And you can spin it:

i-FFBjJ7p-640.mp4

I remember when it came out and you told me about them. I'm going to buy a computer just for the SIM because I used to have one running my entire ELITE SYSTEMS from Orlando, Florida https://flyelite.com/basic-atd/ but the computer got stolen. Now I just have the pedals, avionics panel, yoke, throttle quadrant, but no computer. I'm going to see if it's all compatible with current X-Plane or MS software, if not I'll have to talk with them to see how much it'll cost to get a copy of theirs again to set this all up.

The Eilte software is more expensive than X-Plane or MS and it's not as pretty or realistic looking or graphics intensive, but it's FAA certified as a Basic ATD so I can train people and the hours count so it's probably worth it.

Right now I'm just downloading the X-Plane demo to see how it runs on my Mac Pro and see what I'll need to upgrade later on the stand alone SIM computer if I go that route.

Last edited:
Question for the knowledgeable simmers....

I'd love to more-or-less replicate my RV-9A on X-Plane so that I could use it for practicing instrument procedures--obviously without being able to log the time.

The realism of the aircraft's handling doesn't really concern me, because I don't think I'll ever get that right.

I'm more concerned about simulating an aircraft doing RV-9ish speeds with avionics as close to my GRT Horizon EX and a Garmin 430W as possible.

Any recommendations? Right now I've been flying the 172 that comes with X-Plane 11 and it's not bad, but I'm guessing there is something closer out there.

Flew the mentioned RV8 last night on X-Plane 11. Super detailed. I'm in the process of building a 7, so this at least gets me the emp and wings of my plane....

I really enjoyed flying this at OSH and Lake Powell. Have three screens and some peripherals with a seat and 5.1 surround. Turn the bass way up to get the engine rumble feeling in the seat. The avionics very much follow Garmin of different types. Provides some learning opportunities for sure.

Last edited:
Nice rig! I recommend giving VR goggles a try. I'm using DCS World with Oculus Rift and it's impressive. You need a really powerful everything, but with the right equipment it's so close to real flying I sometimes forget I'm in a sim.

I mainly fly taildraggers in the sim since my goal is to stay fresh on the rudder skills. There is a lot of variance! I find the Spitfire is the hardest, P51 pretty easy, same with the Christen Eagle II.

Also, engine failure at X00 feet to see if you can get back to the runway is interesting.

Thanks! It's a homebuilt PC to go along with my homebuilt plane. Recently upgraded the video card from 2 cards down to a single Nvidia 2060 that can drive all 5 monitors. 3 hard drives, 2 solid state drives. 32GB of RAM. i7 processor. Thrustmaster HOTAS, Saitek pedals, and (you can't see it) but a simulator chair, too, with 2 12-plug USB strips hidden below it to power everything. 1600w power supply and a case with enough fans it could double as a wind tunnel.

The monitors are 27 inch, 30 inch, and 27 inch. Used to be 3 x 27, but one died about 9 months ago and I upgraded to a 30. Will do all three at 30 when I need to. The frame is 2 inch PVC pipe, held together by small set screws in each joint so I can take it apart to move it or to change it (like when I enlarged the monitor - had to splice in new pipe an inch or two longer).

The 2 MFDs are 8 inch USB screens I found on eBay mounted to the back of a sheet of aluminum with holes cut out to fit the viewable area, with Thrustmaster Cougars mounted on the front.

Configuring everything to work in concert, especially lining up the Cougars with the USB monitors, probably took as long as I expect my RV-10 avionics install will take. No one could make me a pre-cut panel to my spec for this build.

Thankfully, DCS has some pretty powerful configuration abilities. I was able to program my own configuration files in Notepad++ after much trial and error.

Thanks! It's a homebuilt PC to go along with my homebuilt plane. Recently upgraded the video card from 2 cards down to a single Nvidia 2060 that can drive all 5 monitors. 3 hard drives, 2 solid state drives. 32GB of RAM. i7 processor. Thrustmaster HOTAS, Saitek pedals, and (you can't see it) but a simulator chair, too, with 2 12-plug USB strips hidden below it to power everything. 1600w power supply and a case with enough fans it could double as a wind tunnel.

The monitors are 27 inch, 30 inch, and 27 inch. Used to be 3 x 27, but one died about 9 months ago and I upgraded to a 30. Will do all three at 30 when I need to. The frame is 2 inch PVC pipe, held together by small set screws in each joint so I can take it apart to move it or to change it (like when I enlarged the monitor - had to splice in new pipe an inch or two longer).

The 2 MFDs are 8 inch USB screens I found on eBay mounted to the back of a sheet of aluminum with holes cut out to fit the viewable area, with Thrustmaster Cougars mounted on the front.

Configuring everything to work in concert, especially lining up the Cougars with the USB monitors, probably took as long as I expect my RV-10 avionics install will take. No one could make me a pre-cut panel to my spec for this build.

Thankfully, DCS has some pretty powerful configuration abilities. I was able to program my own configuration files in Notepad++ after much trial and error.

Mike - I sent you a PM

DCS config

I think there is a business opportunity for someone to write a decent config tool for DCS - this was/is the most frustrating part of using this software.

Seeking the cumulative knowledge of the group. Please advise as to which Flight Simulator I should buy. Want to 'pre fly' my cross country and shorted flights with the FS. Also need to 'fly' my training routes while using modern EFIS in a moderately slow aircraft. I will be training for my PPC in an ELSA. I'm building an RV-12. Thanks in advance.

Can anyone compare the latest Microsoft flight sim to X-Plane 11? A friend's son is starting out with flying lessons and asked for a recommendation on a sim. Seems like X-Pane 11 may still be the winner.

Probably not what you want to hear but honestly either will do well for a young person interested in learning. I learned with MSFS 5.0 in the 90s, and it was a great start.

If the system has a beefy video card (Nvidia GTX 1080 or better, or similar for Raedeon), I would opt for Microsoft. The graphics are way cooler, and that will help with engagement.

Neither does flight modeling perfectly. E.g. I understand you can't really spin any of the default trainng planes in either program.

I have both MSFS and X-Plane and as I get more into IFR I can see them fitting into different roles.

* MSFS right out of the box has superior scenery than X-Plane which makes it actually possible to fly VFR by visual reference, using real landmarks on the ground. For familiarizing with a new area or even pattern work I really like it.

* X-plane is much better at simulating avionics, GPS, procedures etc. I’m probably going to be spending a lot more time with x-plane when I work on my instrument ticket.

A lot of it depends on what your mission/expectations are. Even a Class D sim does not completely replicate flying the real aircraft, I think Ben Rich of the Skunk Works said that’s why they’re called Simulators and not Realators, and if you fly a sim too much you risk negative transfer because you’ve trained yourself to fly the sim and not the real airplane.

But if you’re looking for something fun to bang around with, I’d go with MSFS X Steam, and add on some scenery from OrbX, https://orbxdirect.com/. They even have a RV-4 on there. https://orbxdirect.com/product/vansrv4 and you can find other RVs via an easy Google search. https://www.google.com/search?q=msfs+vans+rv&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Here’s an example of OrbX’s add on scenery, my SeaRey in the virtual world and in an OrbX add on for Skagit Airport: https://seareybuild.blogspot.com/2017/07/is-it-live-or-is-it-memorbx.html

FWIW, I’ve been simmming since the days of Atari 400s, I currently run Steam FSX on a 12+ year old home built Windows 10 machine, system is on a 500gb SSD, FSX is on a WD 1tb drive, FS9 is on a second drive 1 tb drive, with a ASUS 1050 card and 16 mb RAM. (I have FS9 stuff I have not been able to replicate in FSX I still like to play with.) I’ve got the frame rate locked at 30fps, max ground detail, zero airborne traffic, light boat traffic (gotta buzz the Puget Sound ferries!), and zero ground traffic. It flys nice and smooth, when I need a break one of my favorite things is to take a RA-5 Viggie add-on aircraft up from outside my hangar and go buzzing around the Sound.

I don’t need to have bleeding edge tech to have fun, take a break from building and just goof around for a bit.

Attachments

• AF0F5ED8-62C2-47FD-90F8-969E643D1E7B.jpeg
    AF0F5ED8-62C2-47FD-90F8-969E643D1E7B.jpeg
    605.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 2A85CBD3-EAFA-4346-8C34-C3DAE86A293E.jpeg
    2A85CBD3-EAFA-4346-8C34-C3DAE86A293E.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
G3X

A lot of it depends on what your mission/expectations are. Even a Class D sim does not completely replicate flying the real aircraft, I think Ben Rich of the Skunk Works said that’s why they’re called Simulators and not Realators, and if you fly a sim too much you risk negative transfer because you’ve trained yourself to fly the sim and not the real airplane.

But if you’re looking for something fun to bang around with, I’d go with MSFS X Steam, and add on some scenery from OrbX, https://orbxdirect.com/. They even have a RV-4 on there. https://orbxdirect.com/product/vansrv4 and you can find other RVs via an easy Google search. https://www.google.com/search?q=msfs+vans+rv&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

Here’s an example of OrbX’s add on scenery, my SeaRey in the virtual world and in an OrbX add on for Skagit Airport: https://seareybuild.blogspot.com/2017/07/is-it-live-or-is-it-memorbx.html

FWIW, I’ve been simmming since the days of Atari 400s, I currently run Steam FSX on a 12+ year old home built Windows 10 machine, system is on a 500gb SSD, FSX is on a WD 1tb drive, FS9 is on a second drive 1 tb drive, with a ASUS 1050 card and 16 mb RAM. (I have FS9 stuff I have not been able to replicate in FSX I still like to play with.) I’ve got the frame rate locked at 30fps, max ground detail, zero airborne traffic, light boat traffic (gotta buzz the Puget Sound ferries!), and zero ground traffic. It flys nice and smooth, when I need a break one of my favorite things is to take a RA-5 Viggie add-on aircraft up from outside my hangar and go buzzing around the Sound.

I don’t need to have bleeding edge tech to have fun, take a break from building and just goof around for a bit.

So my questions are:
1) Does the Microsoft Sim support a touch screen monitor
2) if so, can it replicate the touch screen G3X?

I have Xplane 11 and it seems to work pretty well. I'm getting through my private and getting close to finishing up. I think... Anyway I really haven't used the simulator very much. It just doesn't seem like really flying the plane to me. The worst part is the feel of the yoke. I thought about buying one of the Honeycomb Alpha yokes to see if it is better. I do also have a joystick that I purchased to be more similar to my RV-7A. I think this is an advantage to you if you can start with the joystick. I don't want to do that since I'm still flying the C172.

I do think the simulator could be helpful for practicing emergency procedures or similar items where you need to memorize the sequence and develop some muscle memory. Again the problem though is I don't have push-pull controls in my simulator setup so even then it's not quite the same.

As far as practice flying into unknown airports that could be helpful. Sometimes though there isn't that much detail on certain airports so it may not be that helpful either, but at least you can get an idea about the terrain.

I'm sure there are folks here that are much more knowledgeable than me on the use of these simulators so I'm sure my setup isn't optimized. One thing I did find helpful was to setup for a straight in arrival and start the sim about 3 miles out, then go through the landing. I would do 10 of those in a row. That was helpful for me to get the visual picture. You can have the winds set to actual so that helps too.

In summary I would say it is a helpful tool, but its not like real flying spending real $$$, unfortunately. You do need a pretty good computer to get reasonable responsiveness too.

Just me

I have Xplane 11 and it seems to work pretty well. I'm getting through my private and getting close to finishing up. I think... Anyway I really haven't used the simulator very much. It just doesn't seem like really flying the plane to me. The worst part is the feel of the yoke. I thought about buying one of the Honeycomb Alpha yokes to see if it is better. I do also have a joystick that I purchased to be more similar to my RV-7A. I think this is an advantage to you if you can start with the joystick. I don't want to do that since I'm still flying the C172.

I do think the simulator could be helpful for practicing emergency procedures or similar items where you need to memorize the sequence and develop some muscle memory. Again the problem though is I don't have push-pull controls in my simulator setup so even then it's not quite the same.

As far as practice flying into unknown airports that could be helpful. Sometimes though there isn't that much detail on certain airports so it may not be that helpful either, but at least you can get an idea about the terrain.

I'm sure there are folks here that are much more knowledgeable than me on the use of these simulators so I'm sure my setup isn't optimized. One thing I did find helpful was to setup for a straight in arrival and start the sim about 3 miles out, then go through the landing. I would do 10 of those in a row. That was helpful for me to get the visual picture. You can have the winds set to actual so that helps too.

In summary I would say it is a helpful tool, but its not like real flying spending real $$$, unfortunately. You do need a pretty good computer to get reasonable responsiveness too.

During my private, I found the simulator to be useful in learning navigation, magnetic compass turns, and other panel work stuff.
for my instrument, it was invaluable in practicing the approaches first, before the lesson; it saved me a ton of actual flight dollars learning the various approaches, and improving my scan.

OK, have they got one of these puppies that lets you fly an F-18?? And a Cat shot off the carrier??:rolleyes: If so, I'm in.

OK, have they got one of these puppies that lets you fly an F-18?? And a Cat shot off the carrier??:rolleyes: If so, I'm in.

As the previous posters have noted, DCS ( https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/ ) provides the opportunity to simulate carrier operations, tons of other military aviation type operations (including ordnance) and some stunning visuals. It is not really good for VFR orientation, but is spectacular for basic fighter maneuvers (BFM) and long range missle fights. There is a number of add-ons needed to fully enjoy the simulator (like the F/A-18C module or the F-16 module or the "Super Carrier" module), but the basic simulator with some aircraft is FREE. There are also many "free" user supported add-ons (and, also, some pay add-ons that help with enjoyment of the simulator....like TACVIEW...you can review your dog fight manuvers).

It's a complex simulator requiring upper level computer equipment to run well, but well worth the investment of time if you want to do that sort of thing (and can't do it for real). There are many, many "you tubers" that post videos...for some BFM I would refer you to the you tuber called "Growling Sidewinder".

As the previous posters have noted, DCS ( https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/ ) provides the opportunity to simulate carrier operations, tons of other military aviation type operations (including ordnance) and some stunning visuals. It is not really good for VFR orientation, but is spectacular for basic fighter maneuvers (BFM) and long range missle fights. There is a number of add-ons needed to fully enjoy the simulator (like the F/A-18C module or the F-16 module or the "Super Carrier" module), but the basic simulator with some aircraft is FREE. There are also many "free" user supported add-ons (and, also, some pay add-ons that help with enjoyment of the simulator....like TACVIEW...you can review your dog fight manuvers).

It's a complex simulator requiring upper level computer equipment to run well, but well worth the investment of time if you want to do that sort of thing (and can't do it for real). There are many, many "you tubers" that post videos...for some BFM I would refer you to the you tuber called "Growling Sidewinder".
I also find that DCS has very realistic ground handling when using good rudder pedals. I fly with an oculus VR headset, and it feels responsive and accurate. The Christen Eagle II, T-51, and the Spitfire helped me to train my feet to deal with the little wheel at the back.

Ok, All I've got is a little old HP Laptop, with windows 8.1. I know zilch about computers. What do I have to buy to be a Naval Aviator in my F- 18. ( I was a naval aviator once, marines, helicopters, Vietnam. But that was BC, or before computers.)----Also before most of you were born.:D:D
(My RV 8 is the F 4 Phantom I never got to fly in the marines):D:D:D All I need is afterburers----and another 1000 Kts of speed

Last edited:
Just me

Ok, All I've got is a little old HP Laptop, with windows 8.1. I know zilch about computers. What do I have to buy to be a Naval Aviator in my F- 18. ( I was a naval aviator once, marines, helicopters, Vietnam. But that was BC, or before computers.)----Also before most of you were born.:D:D
(My RV 8 is the F 4 Phantom I never got to fly in the marines):D:D:D All I need is afterburners----and another 1000 Kts of speed

I am in the same boat as you. I have not kept up with computer technology. I am still using older gen computer that cant be updated with the latest software. I think it is running COBOL or something.

In addition, with the chip shortage, I am afraid of ordering a custom computer and then having to wait months for the pieces to become available. I think I will just order a $1.5K HP running the best processor, Intel i5; 32Gb RAM and 512 gB harddrive. I hope it has a good graphics card, but I assume a 1.5K computer would.

The yoke and pedals seem to be available so no worries there.

Anybody out there think this wont work?

I am in the same boat as you. I have not kept up with computer technology. I am still using older gen computer that cant be updated with the latest software. I think it is running COBOL or something.

In addition, with the chip shortage, I am afraid of ordering a custom computer and then having to wait months for the pieces to become available. I think I will just order a $1.5K HP running the best processor, Intel i5; 32Gb RAM and 512 gB harddrive. I hope it has a good graphics card, but I assume a 1.5K computer would.

The yoke and pedals seem to be available so no worries there.

Anybody out there think this wont work?

One of my tenants is a computer gamer and a few months ago built his own gaming computer that would put NASA in Houston to shame, yet only spent $1000, so I recommend getting info from someone who knows more than both you and me together and buy what you really need and what will really work great for you. That $1500 computer might be good for many many things but might not be as good for the graphics for example of the sim game you want it to work on. It might be "good enough" but why spend $500 more when you can get exactly what you need for less?

One of my tenants is a computer gamer and a few months ago built his own gaming computer that would put NASA in Houston to shame, yet only spent $1000, so I recommend getting info from someone who knows more than both you and me together and buy what you really need and what will really work great for you. That $1500 computer might be good for many many things but might not be as good for the graphics for example of the sim game you want it to work on. It might be "good enough" but why spend $500 more when you can get exactly what you need for less?

Can you ask your tenant to send me a list of stuff? I am willing to build a computer, after all how hard can it be, I built an airplane. I can make anything fit with a hammer, and make it pretty too with fiberglass and spray cans.

Can you ask your tenant to send me a list of stuff? I am willing to build a computer, after all how hard can it be, I built an airplane. I can make anything fit with a hammer, and make it pretty too with fiberglass and spray cans.

Here is my Computer Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6700 XT OC, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS. My monitor is a 4K TV. You will want good flight controls like a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and MFG Crosswind rudder pedals.

I get pretty good graphics, but even better if you have an RX 6900 XT or Nvidia RTX 3080. Good luck with your build (you'll need an OS and a bunch of other nits).

Here is my Computer Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6700 XT OC, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS. My monitor is a 4K TV. You will want good flight controls like a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog and MFG Crosswind rudder pedals.

I get pretty good graphics, but even better if you have an RX 6900 XT or Nvidia RTX 3080. Good luck with your build (you'll need an OS and a bunch of other nits).

This is the english language????:D:confused::D:confused::D

This is the english language????:D:confused::D:confused::D

Agreed :D:D Just do what I do and look up each one individually and this way you learn about each. Helps when you go to put it together or you might find a teenager neighbor who can put it together with his eyes closed !!

Agreed :D:D Just do what I do and look up each one individually and this way you learn about each. Helps when you go to put it together or you might find a teenager neighbor who can put it together with his eyes closed !!

Exactly. (There is some learning curve...just like building your own airplane.)

I've been "rolling my own" since the 1980's (IBM PC). There is a massive amount of build videos on YouTube. My list is for major components, but you also have to get a case, CPU fan (if not included with CPU), mass storage (like a hard drive), key board, etc.

Sometimes it is just better to go to Newegg or a similar seller site and purchase an assembled computer if you want to move into the simulator quicker. People used to rave about Alienware for simulators, I don't endorse that brand one way or another.

Last edited:
...In addition, with the chip shortage, I am afraid of ordering a custom computer and then having to wait months for the pieces to become available. I think I will just order a $1.5K HP running the best processor, Intel i5; 32Gb RAM and 512 gB harddrive. I hope it has a good graphics card, but I assume a 1.5K computer would.

Here are a few options and one of them is a complete sim for less than the $1500 you wanted to spend. This way you know it's going to work correctly

https://xforcepc.com/complete-flight-sim-packages/xforcepc-packages.html

Worst case you see what cards they're offering and you can compare them with what the $1500 one is using.

Last edited:
Back