Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 07-29-2022, 05:59 AM

Default I got home safe thread. OSH'22

Getting it started since Doug's place holder is still locked:

N174RT got Capt Sandy and I back to Hensley Airpark on Wednesday. We left KOSH about 11am morning without having to wait at 36 for departure. Fuel stop at Burlington Muni (KBUU) for fuel at $5.69/gallon. Short wait for rain shower to pass then departed to the south west, eventually climbed to 11,500 and had a nice tailwing toward TN. including some time with 200kts ground speed. Choose to land at Middlesboro (1A6) to wait for weather to pass in TN, to top the tanks ($6.15) and to have dinner. NICE FBO with courtesy car, showers available, snooze room available. Then short flight back to Hensley (04TN).

Regards,

N174RT (RV-7A) first flight 5/31/11, 2000hrs as of 6/5/22:
Tip-up, Lycon IO-360 EXP, WW 74HRT, AFS 5600T, AF-Pilot, IFD440, SL-30, echoUAT, D100 for backup, CQ1 headsets, CMW E-Lift

Our other riveted aluminum monocoque RV is a 2012 25' Eddie Bauer Airstream

Past aluminum monocoque vehicles:
N601RT (CH601HDS) First flight 5/03, 1550hrs after flying 8 years: 912ULS, GNS430W, SL-30, D10A Sold
1995 Midnight Pearl NSX w/BBSC Sold

EAA Chapter 105 board member 2010->2015
Old 07-29-2022, 06:43 AM

We left Thursday morning - taxied out around 8:15, sat in line to depart 36 for over an hour while the warbirds, DC-3's, trimotor, and other "special" aircraft were allowed to move to the front of the line. We saw the AeroShell team come and go twice, IIRC, plus multiple warbird departures requesting "full length", which doesn't help the flow at all. Perhaps someone could provide a little guidance that on "departure" mornings, the warbird crowd should limit its comings and goings while the rest of the world tries to get home.

Anyway, after that, we headed South over Chicago, and landed at French Lick Indiana for fuel and a potty break (that hour plus hold wasn't helpful). Then we used eyeballs and ADSB to navigate around weather to home base. In route, we saw the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, the home of country music in Nashville, and the NASA Space and rocket Center in Huntsville.

As always, enjoyed it tremendously, and greatly appreciate all those who volunteer - John, Jerry, Toni, Todd, Tom, and a host of others I don't know on a first name basis.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 07-29-2022, 06:54 AM

Default Back Home

Left Thursday AM, went to DeKalb and gassed up and went non stop to home at 11,500 and still had gas for another 1 1/2 hours. Got home to Lancaster SC by flying 15k over the mountains where Kentucky is being hammered by flash flooding. At times we were making 220 mph with the tailwind in our wonderful altitude loving RV-9A.

Had a wonderful time again at HBC. What a great place to be with the pavilion and all our friends and new friends.
Ed
Exempt but happily paid for 2022
Old 07-29-2022, 07:49 AM

Default Thursdays

I observe zero benefit to early go attempts on Thurs if you are camping. I aim NET 10am NLT noon with consistent results but have only 3 hours to fly home, quite a bias.

I hit right side of 36L at 1130am, per my usual flow and it was a total under 2 minutes of wheels stopped during taxi. That was to let an RV restart and rejoin from being pulled off shutdown in the grass.

Coffee at pavillion at 6am, refund booth, then breakfast while planning- thurs had dest clgs to come up and 1 thin line before to clear out. Preflight, break camp, say farewells, pull to alley, turn to alley to not blast anyone (too many do not!) crank n go.

If parked, not camped, with less needed, early go may work.

To turn inside abeam the ATC tower, in formation, warbirders happily want every foot for the guy on the inside of the turn to not feel slow and not run away from anyone outside that can't yet be faster. Maybe they were training or doing photos, maybe they don't care and could have done a stream to a later rejoin. I heard the last of them asking full length as I cranked, and hoped for the best, all smiles at DKB for a hot dog.

When I brought in a C17 during arrivals and leaving in post-airshow window departures, I did zero passes- not because I don't like showing off- I was a demo guy- but because there was a heavy demo team that week, so why clog the pattern for my ego's insatiable feeding attempts?
Old 07-29-2022, 11:31 AM

Default Went smooth

3 ship started engines at 0730, requested 27, and went wheels up at 0800. Eleven hours and three fuel stops later, arrived Seattle area. All went very well. RVs are a great way to cross the country.
Old 07-29-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
We left Thursday morning - taxied out around 8:15, sat in line to depart 36 for over an hour while the warbirds, DC-3's, trimotor, and other "special" aircraft were allowed to move to the front of the line. We saw the AeroShell team come and go twice, IIRC, plus multiple warbird departures requesting "full length", which doesn't help the flow at all.
We had the same issue Kyle. I think the 777 caused the backup on 36. We actually shut down on the taxiway for a while waiting for them to get out of the way. They switched to 36R for a while. The good news is that we had a heck of a tailwind at 17.5k and made good time heading home.
FlyingThe10 On Facebook
FlyingThe10 On Instagram

Last edited by cderk : 07-29-2022 at 12:03 PM. Reason: DR doesnt like the word ****, so changed to heck
Old 07-29-2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post
We had the same issue Kyle. I think the 777 caused the backup on 36.
The triple seven was gone before we lined up. I'm sure it had an impact, but allowing the warbirds to cut to the front of the line was what had the line moving at a crawl while we exited.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 07-29-2022, 01:17 PM

left Friday morning, northeastward… a somewhat longer route home than some

Thanks for pictures (and the rest!) Mickey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	548418D0-92FE-4368-A013-CBE40BB1F6D8.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	28754  

www.aerofun.ch

RV-6.9 #25685, slider, O-360-A3A (carb/dual Lightspeed II), MTV-12-B, HB-YLL owner & lover
RV-4 #2062 HB-YVZ airframe builder
Old 07-29-2022, 03:19 PM

I departed OSH Thursday morning at 7:00am, only one plane to depart on 36L before me so it was a quick launch. Just squirted a low cloud deck north of my route into Minneapolis Crystal.

This morning up a little later for my flight home to Steamboat. Again just dodging low clouds and weather, this time to the south. Flew at 12.5k and I appreciated the small headwind rather than the typical 15+ knots.
EAA #: 561223

Last edited by Strikhedonia : 07-29-2022 at 04:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:39 PM

Hi Chris,

I don’t know if you’ve already discovered this or not, but the KSBS airport is still closed. Stacie put out a new memo a couple of days ago. I’ll also check out your profile and see if I can contact you in another way.