What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich 3 Blade Composite Prop. Cleaning

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
I just received my new 3 blade composite prop from Sensenich. I'm curious what people use to clean it. I would hate to mess it up.

Soap and water

…..Pledge, Maguire's cleaner wax etc. Treat it like any other painted surface. I have a Whirlwind Carbon prop, painted front surface.

Attachments

• 82F6EF62-53E3-4A1F-9DC4-9D2466777DF6.jpeg
    82F6EF62-53E3-4A1F-9DC4-9D2466777DF6.jpeg
    651.7 KB · Views: 175
Good timing. My leading edge (Nickel I remember) shows sign of either slight corrosion (Looks like pitting) or bad tarnishing. I've tried to clean it and not a lot of help. Resisted using anything stronger than polishing compound. Any insight? Whirlwind 300 3 blade.

Good timing. My leading edge (Nickel I remember) shows sign of either slight corrosion (Looks like pitting) or bad tarnishing. I've tried to clean it and not a lot of help. Resisted using anything stronger than polishing compound. Any insight? Whirlwind 300 3 blade.

I experienced the same thing when I had a ground adjustable Sensenich. I think prevention is the key in salty Florida. Now that I use pledge after every flight, my prop looks great. No signs of corrosion.

Silicone free wax

I would use a Silicone FREE wax/polish.

At some point your prop will need a repair and silicone is a bxxxx to get off any surface that has crack or is microscopically porous.

Well-l-l-l, since there's always bugs on it, I just use Turtle Wax bug and tar remover. Same thing I use on the leading edges of the wing, wheel pants, HS, VS, and canopy. In the summer, it sometimes takes me longer to clean off the bugs, than what I was out flying--but I'm sure everyone here can relate. I have a Whirlwind also.

Last edited:
Pleadge works great and after the flight a mist of plain water soften the bugs to where you easily wipe it off, than a new coat of pledge.

Too many choices

Any recommendations on the specific pledge variant? I see multi-surface cleaner, multi-surface furniture polish, etc. Some might contain silicone.

Also, how careful do you have to be about what you use?

Lemon pledge furniture polish/wax. Its a durable surface, no big worry on how/what to clean with. I hit my painted WW yesterday with plastic scub brush to remove bugs, then Pledge to remove water-spots.

Last edited:
Bugs off with a 1:30 solution of Simple Green Extreme (not the green stuff), then a squirt of Brillianize plastic cleaner/polish. Just for reference, my plane is wrapped.

Clean the bugs before they dry and shine everything up after. The Brillianze works good on the canopy too.

As always, YMMV ...

Cheers

Back