What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0-320-E2D, can it be converted to CS?

The Lycoming 320 engine variant list states it is same as E1A but with fixed-pitch propeller. I read that as solid crank.

Does the E2D usually have a solid or hollow crank?

The O-320-E2D has a hollow crank. It's not the crankshaft that keep it from using a C/S prop. It's the front main bearing and crankcase design.

Darn, I was hoping I could upgrade.

Thanks guys. I guess I will just do a ground adjustable.

You could do a electric constant speed, I have one on my rv9a, works great. Made by MT propeller

E2D Crankshaft

The O-320-E2D has a hollow crank. It's not the crankshaft that keep it from using a C/S prop. It's the front main bearing and crankcase design.
The E2D Crankshaft does not have the cross feed tube required for constant speed use. This crankshaft can be transferred to the long front main-bearing case (with a drain port being drilled into the bearing saddle) but it cannot be converted to constant speed use.

O-320-E2A pictures

Here are four pictures from my O-320-E2A core. I'd like the ability to someday go to CS. Would this be a "hollow" crankshaft? It has tubes in it, and a rear plug. I've attached pictures from the front of the crank, and into the rear of the front journal using a mirror.

I'm more concerned about the case. It is set up for the large bearing (2 pieces total not 4). I've attached photos of both sides of the case. Are the holes / drains in the case correct for CS use?

Attachments

• Crankshaft from front.jpg
    Crankshaft from front.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Crankshaft from rear.jpg
    Crankshaft from rear.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 139
  • 100_1231 (Medium).jpg
    100_1231 (Medium).jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 158
  • 100_1239 (Medium).jpg
    100_1239 (Medium).jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 158
Constant Speed Set Up

Your crank has the cross feed tube and your case has the long front main bearing required for constant speed use. The only thing required for conversion is a plug installed in the rear of the front main cavity. This is much easier to install with the crank out of the engine.
As I recall the engines sold by Vans have the rear plug installed so when they are to be used in a fixed pitch configuration they have you pierce a hole in the rear plug to relieve the pressure so I’d doesn’t push the front plug out. (several threads on this subject here on VAF) Conversely you can get a self taping sheet metal screw and install it with a dab of pro seal to seal the pierced hole and convert back to constant speed use.
In the past I was able to get some custom machined rear plugs that incorporate a pipe plug ( similar to the 200 hp engines) that makes it much easier to reconfigure the cranks.

I was pretty sure the crank and bearing size are ok - it is the case I'm worried about. There is a plug on the outside where the fitting would go, but this kind of made me concerned that there is an internal port that is closed off. You can see what I mean between the dowel pins. Perhaps I'm just worrying too much!

Attachments

• 100_1242 (Medium).jpg
    100_1242 (Medium).jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 121
Constant Speed Oil Port

I was pretty sure the crank and bearing size are ok - it is the case I'm worried about. There is a plug on the outside where the fitting would go, but this kind of made me concerned that there is an internal port that is closed off. You can see what I mean between the dowel pins. Perhaps I'm just worrying too much!

The governor line connects to the case via a 90* fitting to a pipe thread port on the right side case half. This port is on a boss in front of cyl.#1. The port is present in your picture of your case.

Duff

Back