What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy scratch

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
Has anyone used the ?Canopy Scratch Kit? sold through Vans to clear up minor scratches in the main and rear section canopy. I have a number of minor scratches in the rear canopy over the cargo area and a few in my forward lift up canopy. If so, how well did it remove those scratches and are there any ?gotchas? to be aware of?

Canopy scratches

I haven?t used the kit that vans offers, but I am in need of some advice on how to polish out some fairly significant scratches in my canopy due to hangar rash. Has anyone tried any specific products that they would recommend, and maybe the procedure that was used?

3 step system by Novus worked on
My gouge I put on canopy.
Directions with system.
Would use on any plexi product.

Boomer

The possibility

Just to prepare you for the possibility...

Story #1:
I had a friend with a scratch in his glider canopy. He sent it to a pro to be fixed.

I came back looking great. Until he flew it. Then he noticed that it had a "fish eye" distortion where the scratch used to be. Evidently, the sanding should have been over a wider area to prevent or at least reduce the effect.

My friend was a bit OCD, so it drove him crazy, until he "accidentally" dropped a wrench on it, so his insurance bought him a new canopy.

Story #2
I have a kit, and took a spare scrap, scratched it, then tried to do the entire process to fix it.

OMG :eek:, the amount of labor involved is insane. I gave up the project at about 1/20th of the way complete and vowed never to try this myself.

Hopefully YMMV... :D

Back