What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

More cyclo

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
polish_16.jpg

Since I don't have any flying to do, and I finally fixed that big honkin' gap around the nose of the cowling that I've been meaning to get to, I spent a few hours today testing out the various techniques that we've been talking about on VAF and elsewhere wrt NuVite polishing.

As you know, the "Nuvite way" is F7 (orbital), C (orbital) and S (cyclo), but I wanted to see what would happen if I followed the Perfect Polish idea of using the cyclo with the same grade as the wool bonnet in an orbital machine before moving on to the next grade.

It's hard to say whether the results are worth the extra step BUT I like the results. I used a rewashed cotton fleece material with the cyclo machine after the F7 (orbital) and C (orbital), departing slightly from the Perfect Polish in that they didn't see a lot of use in using the cyclo machine with Grade C before moving on to Grade S.

I'm also trying to be more disciplined in using less polish, so that when using the cyclo machine, you don't have a single blanket of polish -- which, to me, is a sure sign you're using too much polish.

One thing I like about this method (even though you go through more cotton fleece), is it leaves MUCH less polish on the aluminum that you have to get off (I use mineral spirits) before moving on to the next grade.

I only did the forward components of the right wing, consisting also of the top of the fuel tank, but I'm going to try the process next back on the fuselage, which has gotten a tad cloudy since I started polishing the plane last November. I still have a slight hope that there's a way I can fly this thing over to Oshkosh for a couple of days (feeling much better the last four days).

Will report back.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks great! I really need to get an orbital polisher... Right now I just have the cyclo, and it isn't quite enough to keep up with oxidation at the rate I polish...

Cyclo vs Orbital

I have been experimenting with different grades and approaches. I would have to agree, F7 buffer followed by F7 cyclo and S cyclo is really quicker and a lot less hassle than the Nuvite approach. That is what I have been doing with the last sections of my preliminary polish.

I have figured out that all polishing is preliminary. No such thing as final...

Michael Wynn
RV 8 Finishing
San Ramon, CA

Cyclo with no polish

I am just getting ready to hang the engine. I was determined to do everything myself and pretty quickly mastered riveting, electrical and other skills but also learned that I can't paint to save myself. So I decided to polish. I used the method described by the OP and as a last step I put a clean section of cloth on the cyclo and give the surface a light buffing with no extra polish applied. I found that this takes away the residual polish from the previous step, is very quick and leaves a much nicer finish.

Regards

Nigel

More therapy last night, and threw in Nigel's advice for good measure. I like it .

IMAG0116.jpg

In this picture, the two panels (top and side) just forward of the static port were repolished. The panels from the static port (near the N number) back have not been (yet). If you look at the reflection of the shop cart, you can see the oxidation that's taken place since I started this late last fall.

There's a slight chance the plane will make it to Oshkosh for a few days so I'm going to warn you in advance: There are going to be sections of the plane that are cloudier than others because I haven't repolished most of it yet.

BTW, that's Wipaire's facility in the background.

Last edited:
Looking great Bob,
Just to rehash in general terms what I think we are both doing.
Coarse rotary, coarse cyclo, clean (mineral spirits for me), fine cyclo. Clean with the cotton rag (this could be on the cyclo, or just with mineral spirits if I have way too much Nuvite on), and then lastly rub with a puffy microfiber towel and corn starch to get the last bit of Nuvite the rags wont get. The corn starch really works great to get rid of Nuvite and also mineral spirit smear.

And my plane looks like a mangy dog :rolleyes:, beautiful polished areas next to the spots I just have not gotten to yet....

Last edited:
Bob you ought to be beeming with pride

More therapy last night, and threw in Nigel's advice for good measure. I like it .

IMAG0116.jpg

In this picture, the two panels (top and side) just forward of the static port were repolished. The panels from the static port (near the N number) back have not been (yet). If you look at the reflection of the shop cart, you can see the oxidation that's taken place since I started this late last fall.

There's a slight chance the plane will make it to Oshkosh for a few days so I'm going to warn you in advance: There are going to be sections of the plane that are cloudier than others because I haven't repolished most of it yet.

BTW, that's Wipaire's facility in the background.

Bob as one of many who followed your trials and tribulations throughout your build and beyond, let me just say that you my friend, are one of my heroes. Keep after it. That airplane is turning in to one prize show piece!

Joe

shine secret???

Wow, that looks great! I really need to get an orbital polisher... Right now I just have the cyclo, and it isn't quite enough to keep up with oxidation at the rate I polish...

Rob, you just have to move someplace where your aluminum isn't trying to turn into a mossy cornfield! :D

..something drier....like, maybe.....Oliver? ( or Texas, Arizona, Nevada.....etc.)

Bob as one of many who followed your trials and tribulations throughout your build and beyond, let me just say that you my friend, are one of my heroes. Keep after it. That airplane is turning in to one prize show piece!

+1!

Waiting for a pic that shows the entire plane.

IMAG0118.jpg

One of the things I noticed last night on one of the polished areas is there is absolutely NO distortion on the aluminum as a result of the polishing process. BUT there is distortion caused by the grain of the aluminum, which fascinates me no end because if you look close, the grain can fill with polish no matter how much mineral spirits and wiping you do. I'll try to get a really close picture but it's a very interesting thing (to me).

By the way, I wasn't interested in polishing and really hadn't thought much about the post-building plan for paint until I saw this at Oshkosh last year.

cessna_195.jpg

Last edited:
Bob,

Try this.

No mineral spirits at all.

Cornstarch only with microfiber cloth.
Don't be bashful with cornstarch it is cheap.:D

Boomer

Back