What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Double offset back rivet PSA

nohoflyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I went to use my double offset rivet set I had bought from Cleveland Tool to begin attaching my wing skins. When I went to put the set in the gun I could not get the spring/collar to fit at all.

So today I called Annette at Cleveland and she told me to call Bob at Avery Tool (he makes them). Bob said you don’t need the collar! Just hold the set with your free hand and make sure you have some pressure on the set when you pull the trigger or it will go flying.

I never considered you could shoot a gun/set without a collar but there you go.

I take silicone self fusing tape and make a few wraps around the set & rivet gun to hold an offset set in the desired position. I do not guarantee that it will not let the set fly if you trigger the gun without pressure on the material to be riveted. But at least the set will stay on the gun as you move around.

Double Offest Rivet Set w/"Steering Arm"

I make my own - but I always add a "steering arm", both to hold the set in the gun, and to keep the offset oriented correctly.

HFS

Attachments

• Double Offset Rivet Backset.jpg
    Double Offset Rivet Backset.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 192
I've made set retainer "springs" out of steel fencing wire (12 gauge-ish?) I had on hand. All it has to do is keep the set from falling out until I get it onto the work piece. Plus a little trigger discipline to keep from launching the thing across the shop where it inevitably skitters under a bench or cart and falls into a parallel universe never to be seen again.

Back