What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Primer - sand now, or leave untouched until paint.

Marlonyoung

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Finishing up a 30 year RV4 project I took over. It was Vari Primed over a decade ago and I have sanded the Vari Prime and have put down an initial layer of acrylic urethane primer. I intended to assembly and fly the aircraft before finish painting. I had a space I could use for a brief period to prime, but it was unheated and sprayed at the low end of acceptable temp. A few runs, and some areas it did not lay down real smooth.

Would it be best to leave the surface untouched until ready to final paint, or is it OK to smooth it out a bit with sand with 400 to 600 grit paper?

Should I do anything to protect the primer, so type of coating?

Thanks

Personally, I'd fly it as is. Later, you can thoroughly clean the aircraft to remove contaminants, then do your sanding to arrive at a clean and freshly "cut" surface for a good paint bond.

If you'd asked earlier, I'd have suggested you not apply more primer to the exterior until you're ready to point.

If you're primer is anything like the Sherwin-Williams primer I used, I'd leave it alone. Mine gave a nice smooth surface that I believe offers more protection than a sanded surface. You'll have to sand it again later anyway; why do it twice?

Back