What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Minimum skin thickness for NAS1097AD3 (Oops rivets)?

gotyoke

Well Known Member
I'm looking to avoid dimpling platenuts where reasonable, and know about using NAS1097AD3 (oops) rivets in slightly countersunk skin holes for that purpose. What is the minumum skin thickness that would be allowed for this?

How thin is the skin that you are mounting a nutplate on?? The countersink Height of the rivet is 0.029 inches for -4 and .021 for -3.

Unless you want to shave the head after the rivet is installed, the skin
should be no thinner than the head.

A skin thinner than .032 would have a hard time supporting the installation
and removal of the nutplate screw.

The NAS1097AD3 will work fine in .025 skin.

Last edited:
I'm looking to avoid dimpling platenuts where reasonable, and know about using NAS1097AD3 (oops) rivets in slightly countersunk skin holes for that purpose. What is the minumum skin thickness that would be allowed for this?

.025" still worked for me, try it on some scrap, if there is any in a 14 kit.
I must have a dozen, at least, and never an issue, even when requiring no protrusion. Confirming spec dimensions below. CS height .021"

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 10.23.25 PM.png

Last edited:
I countersink 0.025" for NAS1097AD3-x rivets. Cover plate screw holes, etc. There are notes in my work shop showing the head height at 0.021". This contradicts gasman above. Not sure who's right.

I have installed many countersunk in .025 without any trouble and I don't expect that there is any thinner sheet used in RVs that would need to be screwed into.

I countersink 0.025" for NAS1097AD3-x rivets. Cover plate screw holes, etc. There are notes in my work shop showing the head height at 0.021". This contradicts gasman above. Not sure who's right.

Yep. I was looking at -4 spec's.... I need to pay more attention.:rolleyes:

Another rivet that can bee used to install nutplates (when the material is thick enough) is an AN426A-3. It is soft and sets very easy, and drills out nice.

Last edited:
Back