What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plugging old screw/bolt holes

ntspdy

Looking to tap into the collective wisdom here. I’m starting a panel upgrade and in doing so there are several holes in the sub-panel separating the forward baggage from the panel. If I was working with steel I’d weld, sand and touch up keeping it as clean as possible but I don’t have the skills or equipment to do this with aluminum.

What is everyone’s preferred method to plug old holes and make it look as nice as possible?

Holes

Looking to tap into the collective wisdom here. I’m starting a panel upgrade and in doing so there are several holes in the sub-panel separating the forward baggage from the panel. If I was working with steel I’d weld, sand and touch up keeping it as clean as possible but I don’t have the skills or equipment to do this with aluminum.

What is everyone’s preferred method to plug old holes and make it look as nice as possible?

Depends on the hole. Big holes should have a section of aluminum riveted over them to maintain structural integrity. I would run a screw in abandoned screw holes.

Screws

I have used flatheads screw and two nested tinnerman washers. Leaves a basically flush appearance and works for small to medium sized holes…

Back