What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aeroshell 6 source?

ntspdy

It’s condition inspection and the one consumable I’m missing is a stick of Aeroshell 6. Apparently this item is out of stock at all the regular vendors with one listing a back order of at least 120 days. Does anyone know of a source or have an extra stick they would be willing to sell?

$60 each?! That's some serious price gouging right there...

Yeah - not happy about it.

From what I can tell, Aeroshell 5,6,7,22, etc. are unobtainium -- and no line of sight to getting new stock; Chemtool Factory isn't coming back anytime soon. Switching to lithium based greases appears to be the best course of action. Of course, that requires a tear down/cleaning/overhaul of the item to be re-greased (i.e. propeller assy)

*sigh*

Aeroshell’s parent company has a bulletin posted on their web site, dated 22 June 2022, which says that they have located a different production site, and hope to have inventory for affected greases back to normal levels by the end of 2022. So it sounds to me that they were a bit optimistic with the date, but that aeroshell 5 and 6 are now in production again, but have not yet caught up to demand, leading to the high prices noted.
Related note: I saw a note from Hartzell, which of course I now cannot find, suggesting those operating props with Aeroshell 6 consider changing to Aeroshell 5 for servicing. This requires a placard, “Do not operate prop in temperatures below -40”. The note said Aeroshell 6 was ‘reformulated’ a few years back, and Hartzell is not happy with their operating experience since then (this was part of the reason for the change to Nyco grease). As has been previously posted, Aeroshell 5 and 6 may be mixed with each other, but under no circumstances may they be mixed with the recommended Nyco. BTW, aeroshell 22 is not approved by Hartzell, either.

Thanks for the info. I’ll discuss it with my IA and see what the next steps will be. eBay will not be one of them at that price.

Back