What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (February 2020) FAA AD - Superior Air Parts Crank Shaft

Interesting, can you share the source of that information? But it doesn't surprise me...my engine builder says there are a limited number of companies producing crankshafts for Lycoming, Superior and ECi.

Dave

ECi was acquired by Continental Motors and now Continental manufactures them.

Last week I emailed Bill Ross at Superior, spoke with the FAA's engineer and called AOPA as well.

Nothing new from Superior - they disagree with the AD and Bill says they're working with the FAA. The FAA engineer says the AD is working its way through the FAA's AD alimentary canal (my words, not his :)). He left me with the impression that it will go forward as-is but nothing is certain until posted to the Federal Register.

Disappointingly, AOPA had nothing to say even though they previously asked for an extension.

ds

Last edited:
Last week I emailed Bill Ross at Superior, spoke with the FAA's engineer and called AOPA as well.

Nothing new from Superior - they disagree with the AD and Bill says they're working with the FAA. The FAA engineer says the AD is working its way through the FAA's AD alimentary canal (my words, not his :)). He left me with the impression that it will go forward as-is but nothing is certain until posted to the Federal Register.

Disappointingly, AOPA had nothing to say even though they previously asked for an extension.

ds

Hi Dave. Any new info on the matter? I've tried phoning Bill yesterday, but couldn't get through - might have been too early.

Good evening JP,

Unfortunately, I don't have any better information...sorry! I know it's frustrating. This has been going on for months now and I decided to forge ahead on my own path.

Happy to tell you more via PM or email - rv701ed at gmail.

Cheers,

Dave

Does anyone have any updates on this?

I've been flying my airplane as normal during this, which means lots of formation, some acro, and a few multi-hour cross countries here and there.

New FAA AD - Superior Air Parts Crank Shaft

It looks like the FAA has finally issued it’s final AD decion on IO-360/O-360 SAP manufactured crank shafts built between 2014 to 2016 in Superior and Lycoming engines. It requires removal of affected crank shafts within 25 operating hours of the effective date of the AD (January 15, 2021) at an estimated cost of $15k each. The FAA says there are 192 crank shaft assemblies sold by Superior Air Parts (SAP) with 115 installed in certificated aircraft and 77 installed in experimental aircraft.

It is my understanding that ADs do not apply to experimental aircraft but if my engine was included in this AD then I personally would want to comply. Fortunately, my engine was assembled with a crank shaft manufactured before this AD’s affected dates so its easier for me to say this. I also confirmed my crank shaft as being outside this affected manufacturing date range and serial number with SAP.

However for those who have engines with crank shafts within the effective dates then all I can say is once again 2020 is proving to be a very sorry COVID year.

It is my understanding that ADs do not apply to experimental aircraft but if my engine was included in this AD then I personally would want to comply.
The applicability of ADs to E-AB aircraft is a hot topic. Rather than reignite it I'll just say that legalities aside, an insurance company would take a justifiably hard look at paying out for an accident caused by a failure of one of these crankshafts.

But I agree with with you about complying and unfortunately I *was* affected. :( I'm glad you weren't! :)

Dave

Last edited:
For those who can't access the body of the AD I've pasted it's "applicability" text here. So sorry for those affected - this is very painful. 2020 is the year that just keeps on giving... :(:rolleyes:

This AD applies to the reciprocating engine models identified in paragraphs (c)(1) and (2) of this
AD with a Superior Air Parts, Inc. (SAP) crankshaft assembly, part number (P/N) SL36500-A20 or
P/N SL36500-A31, with serial numbers 82976-01; 82976-02; SP12-0003 through SP12-0089,
inclusive; SP13-0034 through SP13-0150, inclusive; or SP14-0151 through SP14-0202, inclusive;
installed.
(1) With SAP crankshaft assembly, P/N SL36500-A20, installed:
(i) SAP Model IO-360-series and O-360-series reciprocating engines.
(ii) Lycoming Engines (Lycoming) Model IO-360-B2F, IO-360-L2A, O-360, O-360-A2A, O360-A2D, O-360-A2E, O-360-A2F, O-360-A2G, O-360-B2A, O-360-C2A, O-360-C2C, O-360-
C2D, O-360-C2E, O-360-D2A, and O-360-D2B reciprocating engines.

(2) With SAP crankshaft assembly, P/N SL36500-A31, installed:
(ii) Lycoming Model AEIO-360-H1A, IO-360-B1A, IO-360-B1B, IO-360-B1D, IO-360-B1E,
IO-360-B1F, IO-360-M1A, O-360, O-360-A1A, O-360-A1C, O-360-A1D, O-360-A2A, O-360-C1A,
O-360-C1G, O-360-C1C, O-360-C1E, and O-360-C1F reciprocating engines.

Note 1 to paragraph (c): This SAP crankshaft assembly may be installed as a replacement part
under parts manufacturer approval on the affected Lycoming engines.

Crankshaft ad

I'm one of the lucky "winners". 3 hrs of ground time on my motor.
I spoke with a rep at SAP who told me the powers that be will meet Monday and come up with a plan. Apparently they didn't expect the ad to drop. Looking forward to the response.
Not holding my breath.

Manufacturer Liability in Aviation

Can somebody talk me through how the manufacturer avoids any responsibility here for a faulty part at manufacture?

Seems to me that if a part was proven to be defective from the factory, the producer of that part would be on the hook for replacement costs...similar to automobile airbag recalls etc...

I have been around aviation long enough to realize that this isn't the case with AD's, and I understand when the AD is as a result of fatigue due to years of use...but when it's due to a defect in a new component it seems wrong for the owner to foot the bill.

Correct date?

It looks like the FAA has finally issued it’s final AD decion on IO-360/O-360 SAP manufactured crank shafts built between 2014 to 2016 in Superior and Lycoming engines.

Jim, is that date correct? On page 2 under Background, I read 2012 to 2014.

Last edited:
(c) Applicability
This AD applies to the reciprocating engine models identified in paragraphs (c)(1) and (2) of this AD with a Superior Air Parts, Inc. (SAP) crankshaft assembly, part number (P/N) SL36500-A20 or P/N SL36500-A31, with serial numbers 82976-01; 82976-02; SP12-0003 through SP12-0089, inclusive; SP13-0034 through SP13-0150, inclusive; or SP14-0151 through SP14-0202, inclusive; installed.

Unfortunately, I now have an expensive low-time engine core sitting in my hangar, that was going to be installed on my -8.

Last edited:
S/N

I can’t find a S/N in my engine paperwork (JB Engines, Sebring) . Am I right in assuming it’s buried under the flywheel on the crank flange?
It’s a rebuilt 0-360 (2018) and I believe it has the original crankshaft.
Condolences to those suffering with this...not sure if I’m one.

Cheers

I can’t find a S/N in my engine paperwork (JB Engines, Sebring) . Am I right in assuming it’s buried under the flywheel on the crank flange?

Cheers

I'll go later today and see if the ser# is visible on the prop flange on the one sitting in my hangar. I'll let you know what I find.

If the crank was replaced at overhaul, I'd hope the engine shop included the part# and serial# in the engine log book entry.

Otherwise, consider yourself lucky if you get the prop and flywheel off and find the serial number.

Cheers

Contact JB and se if they have that on file - they should! I have an all-Superior engine that was built by Eagle Engines back when they were in business in Redding (CA), and the paperwork they supplied with the engine (we were the third owners of the zero-time engine) gave me what I needed to call Superior and determine my crank was not affected.

Paul

My Superior kit 0-360 engine was built in early 2015. The engine serial number from the data plate is all that Superior needed a couple of weeks ago, to verify that my crank is one of those affected.

Obviously not what I was hoping to find, but I am complying with the AD. Anything less would take a big bite out of the “fun” factor for me.

Jim

The applicability of ADs to E-AB aircraft is a hot topic. Rather than reignite it I'll just say that legalities aside, an insurance company would take a justifiably hard look at paying out for an accident caused by a failure of one of these crankshafts.

But I agree with with you about complying and unfortunately I *was* affected. :( I'm glad you weren't! :)

Dave

I dont have one of the affected engines but I thought this was an interesting paragraph the FAA included specifically stating AD's dont apply to Experimentals or at least their engine.

The costs of compliance with this AD consist of the cost to remove and replace a crankshaft
assembly. The FAA estimates that this AD will affect 115 crankshaft assemblies installed on
airplanes of U.S. registry. This cost estimate does not include 77 SAP crankshaft assemblies installed
on experimental engines since this AD does not apply to these engines.

Jim, is that date correct? On page 2 under Background, I read 2012 to 2014.

Jim,
My bad. The AD says, “ The FAA determined that the crankshaft assembly failures resulted from the manufacturing process at SAP's crankshaft vendor during 2012 and 2014 causing excessive residual white layer of iron nitride forming on the assemblies. ”

Specifically it applies to:
c) Applicability
This AD applies to the reciprocating engine models identified in paragraphs (c)(1) and (2) of this AD with a Superior Air Parts, Inc. (SAP) crankshaft assembly, part number (P/N) SL36500-A20 or P/N SL36500-A31, with serial numbers 82976-01; 82976-02; SP12-0003 through SP12-0089, inclusive; SP13-0034 through SP13-0150, inclusive; or SP14-0151 through SP14-0202, inclusive; installed.
(1) With SAP crankshaft assembly, P/N SL36500-A20, installed:
(ii) Lycoming Engines (Lycoming) Model IO-360-B2F, IO-360-L2A, O-360, O-360-A2A, O-
360-A2D, O-360-A2E, O-360-A2F, O-360-A2G, O-360-B2A, O-360-C2A, O-360-C2C, O-360- C2D, O-360-C2E, O-360-D2A, and O-360-D2B reciprocating engines.
(2) With SAP crankshaft assembly, P/N SL36500-A31, installed:
(ii) Lycoming Model AEIO-360-H1A, IO-360-B1A, IO-360-B1B, IO-360-B1D, IO-360-B1E,
IO-360-B1F, IO-360-M1A, O-360, O-360-A1A, O-360-A1C, O-360-A1D, O-360-A2A, O-360-C1A, O-360-C1G, O-360-C1C, O-360-C1E, and O-360-C1F reciprocating engines.
Note 1 to paragraph (c): This SAP crankshaft assembly may be installed as a replacement part under parts manufacturer approval on the affected Lycoming engines.

Sorry for the mixup.

Any participation at all?

Does SAP at least provide an, at cost new crankshaft? This should provide a good economic run of cranks.

I am beyond devastated. I did research, and according to part numbers and serial numbers, my crankshaft is one of the bad ones. My Barrett-built $30K engine with only 45 minutes of dyno time has to be rebuilt. I was hoping for first flight next summer. The AD goes into effect January 15, 2021 and I understand there is a grace period of 25 operational hours before compliance is mandated. As an experimental builder, I understand that technically, compliance is up to my discretion... but I'm also led to believe that I wouldn't be able to get insurance without AD compliance. I've already refinanced my house to get this **** airplane finished... and now this?! I've got an email out to Barrett to get their advice... but I've got that terrible sinking feeling that after all this money, time and effort... I'm screwed. Badly, painfully screwed. I don't think I'll be able to sleep for the rest of my life.

I am beyond devastated. I did research, and according to part numbers and serial numbers, my crankshaft is one of the bad ones. My Barrett-built $30K engine with only 45 minutes of dyno time has to be rebuilt. I was hoping for first flight next summer. The AD goes into effect January 15, 2021 and I understand there is a grace period of 25 operational hours before compliance is mandated. As an experimental builder, I understand that technically, compliance is up to my discretion... but I'm also led to believe that I wouldn't be able to get insurance without AD compliance. I've already refinanced my house to get this **** airplane finished... and now this?! I've got an email out to Barrett to get their advice... but I've got that terrible sinking feeling that after all this money, time and effort... I'm screwed. Badly, painfully screwed. I don't think I'll be able to sleep for the rest of my life.

I'm in essentially the same boat. Got an unbelievably good deal on a low time engine earlier this year. Now, its an expensive core.

I've emailed Superior about availability of a new crank. But, I suspect I will be lowest priority for them, on a very very long list.

I have too much invested to quit. Couldn't even come close to recouping a fraction of what I have invested if I parted out. The only way out is to finish the plane. I'll probably rob my rainy day fund to solve this problem. But, for now, the thrill is gone! Its gonna be a few days before I'll be safe to go into the shop.

Its gonna be a few days before I'll be safe to go into the shop.

You got that right. I went to the airport and worked on the sim... didn't help much. Pacing the house (and the internet) like a caged animal right now. At least it's technically not a problem until the aircraft is finished. So, like you, I have to shut it out of my head right now and just do what I have to do.

I feel your pain

I have about 3.3 hrs ground time on my new paperweight. Ready for an AWC inspection. Think I'll get the inspection and then see what SAP is planning on doing. In the mean time consumption of adult beverages will absolutely continue.
danny

Not much to add other than support for you all. Mine is effected as well. We have 4 in my local flying group that are affected. I'm sure RV's represent a large part of the 77 experimentals on the list. I was just working on my condition inspection, guess there's no rush finishing that now for awhile. Time to do some research and see what the options are.

I have a friend with one of these engines which I will be tearing down very soon to deal with the crank.

Some googling reveals that the white layer of a nitrided part can be removed by a process called isotropic superfinishing. Basically this is where the crankshaft is put thru a very fine polishing process. I have seen gears with this process done in racing applications.

It would be worth investigating if this would be a permissible AMOC.

from Post #17 on 02-26-2020 -
"IIRC from the conversation with my engine builder, the crankshaft he replaced (one of the three failures that triggered the AD) had a little under 700 hours on it."

How many hours on the other 2 engines - would be helpful info.

Mine falls in the middle of the serial numbers & has 604 hrs on it, not happy Jan.:mad:

BTW - what's with this BS about certified engines only? In my reckoning a crankshaft doesn't care what aircraft category it's in, so saying the AD only applies to certified aircraft makes no difference - if it's going to fail it will do so regardless. If there are accidents caused by 'no requirement for an Experimental to comply with the AD' then how are the insurance companies going to react ? will they pay up ? IF yes, then I'd want that in writing before flying again.
We pay big money for these engines & to possibly have to pay for a new crankshaft that now appears to have been faulty when built is not a good look, if they happen to fail thousands of hours later then that is a different matter (yes, they do last that long). end of rant.

Last edited:
I just spoke with my DAR and with Rhonda at Barrett. Here's what I know so far: Because my aircraft has not yet received an airworthiness certificate, I am bound by the AD to get the crankshaft replaced before a certificate can be issued; there's no getting around it. Barrett will contact Superior to see what they intend to do about the AD, but she knows they have no crankshafts in stock. She may have other options to pursue; she will call me back and we'll move on from there. My DAR says yeah, it seems like a huge blow (and it is), but it can be overcome and the problem solved faster than I would expect. He still thinks I can be flying by summer if the rebuild can be scheduled quickly. I'll keep you posted.

A close reading of the AD reveals this in the cost of compliance section:

"The costs of compliance with this AD consist of the cost to remove and replace a crankshaft assembly. The FAA estimates that this AD will affect 115 crankshaft assemblies installed on airplanes of U.S.registry. This cost estimate does not include 77 SAP crankshaft assemblies installed on experimental engines since this AD does not apply to these engines."

On the one hand, I see SAP's comments about the engines that failed. On the other, the Fed felt strongly enough to issue the AD. Personally, I think you should replace (easy for me to say because my 2007 XPIO-360 isn't involved). I would not recommend using the fact that the AD doesn't apply as an excuse to ignore the possibility of a problem.

Don't be foolish and consider flying with one of these cranks.
I have a friend that is very lucky to still be with us, his low time crank failed in cruise and he managed to glide to an airport.

from Post #17 on 02-26-2020 -
"IIRC from the conversation with my engine builder, the crankshaft he replaced (one of the three failures that triggered the AD) had a little under 700 hours on it."

How many hours on the other 2 engines - would be helpful info.
That info should be in the AD NPRM docket (https://beta.regulations.gov/docket/FAA-2018-1077/document) along with the metallurgical analyses for each failed crank.

HTH

Dave

The person I talked to at Aircraft Spruce this morning said a brand new SL36500-A31 crank is priced at $4,168+ and is backordered 12 to 18 months due to supplier shut downs from COVID.

This is gonna be ugly!

Last edited:
One RVer's experience dealing with the Superior crankshaft AD

My DAR says yeah, it seems like a huge blow (and it is), but it can be overcome and the problem solved faster than I would expect. He still thinks I can be flying by summer if the rebuild can be scheduled quickly.
Good words, Martin. I went through the same stages of grief, denial, resignation...it's no fun at all.

I had just scheduled my airworthiness inspection when the AD NPRM dropped. My DAR and I agreed that if the AD wasn't final by inspection day, we'd press on with the inspection and I'd deal with the crankshaft when the AD became final. From my calls to the FAA, I was pretty sure it would.

After a lot of thinking I decided to not wait for the AD so I bit the bullet, pulled the engine and replaced the crankshaft before my first flight. It was a big financial hit and also a gamble that a final AD would mean some $ (more like $$$$) relief from Superior - here's hoping that happens. Although the risk of failure in the first few hours was small, I knew I wouldn't want to take the airplane down during or after Phase 1. Plus, there's enough risk to be managed while flying a new airplane and from my read of the AD supporting documentation and analysis I wouldn't feel comfortable building a lot of time on the engine regardless of the AD.

The engine pull and delivery to the shop happened over the Memorial Day weekend, a new Lycoming crank (recommended by my engine builder) was installed, the engine came back around Labor Day, and I was in the air on 18 October. IMNSHO, the confidence I had in the engine for that first flight was worth every second and cent it cost to deal with the problem.

HTH

Dave

Last edited:
This website has helped in so many ways in the past... but nothing compares to the help and encouragement gained by hearing the stories of others who have faced and overcome such mounumental obstacles. When it's all done and it's flying safely, I will bask in the warmth gained from working through the pain and knowing it was worth it. Thanks to all who shared... and to DR for giving us all a chance to share. Wheels are turning, progress continues... and now in addition to the dread of all the work that must be done and redone, I'm also thinking of all the things that will be made possible - or easier - as a fortunate byproduct of this unfortunate situation. As I'm fond of saying (cleaned up for this website)... sometimes you can find the diamonds in the dog-stuff.

Lucky me

Contact JB and se if they have that on file - they should! I have an all-Superior engine that was built by Eagle Engines back when they were in business in Redding (CA), and the paperwork they supplied with the engine (we were the third owners of the zero-time engine) gave me what I needed to call Superior and determine my crank was not affected.

Paul

Jimmy (JB Engines) tells me I’m not affected...Lycoming crankshaft.
Relieved,

I wonder if Superior will offer any kind of rebate for homebuilders with XP engines who're replacing cranks because of this, and what the limitations will be.

I wonder if Superior will offer any kind of rebate for homebuilders with XP engines who're replacing cranks because of this, and what the limitations will be.

I called today to ask about this. Called a few times. Left a message. No response yet, but I’m sure they are very busy today.

Not sure what was more painful

Finding out my serial number is included in the AD or having to tell my wife. :(

This sucks.

I bought my RV-8 as a project. It had marginal workmanship, but I bought it because it had a beautiful Stein Panel and new Barrett IO-360, neither of which had been installed. I spent LOTS of time fixing things the previous builder screwed up, but despite the fact I built a new tail and replaced the quick-build wings (I kid you not, the flaps had been installed upside down with the hinges on the top skins), I was still dollars ahead, and it’s now a very nice RV.

This AD will drag me behind the power curve - now I would have been better off starting from scratch on my own. Financially, anyway.

I feel for everyone who’s been hit by this AD. 2020 just kicked us square in the balls. Again.

I'll go later today and see if the ser# is visible on the prop flange on the one sitting in my hangar. I'll let you know what I find....

Went to the hangar today. I could not see the serial number on the prop flange. But, I do have proof that at least some of them have the serial number laser-etched onto the rim of the prop flange. The picture is of one of the 3 cranks that failed.

50721177283_922bc0d47d_z.jpg

I read through the 6-pages of AD information contained in the Federal Register Docket. It looks like crankshafts shipped prior to 7/31/2012 are not affected. Also listed are the affected serial number ranges.

There is also a link to the supporting documents, analysis, and photos.

Another one of these cranks here in our 50-hour-old RV-8… Besides the potential cost and loss of use of the aircraft, we're not looking forward to disturbing our engine install.

Another one of these cranks here in our 50-hour-old RV-8… Besides the potential cost and loss of use of the aircraft, we're not looking forward to disturbing our engine install.

That’s frustrating Ed - I’m guessing that you have no wiggle room at all with AD’s in your country either!

a crankshaft AD like this one takes the engine down. I feel sorry for those affected because of the time lost, cost and general PITA. what we do is hard enough and this can kind of stuff and be overwhelming.

I have a friend with one of these engines which I will be tearing down very soon to deal with the crank.

Some googling reveals that the white layer of a nitrided part can be removed by a process called isotropic superfinishing. Basically this is where the crankshaft is put thru a very fine polishing process. I have seen gears with this process done in racing applications.

It would be worth investigating if this would be a permissible AMOC.

If it is done like gears, it goes into a large vibratory tank (like deburring) with specific contact media and a specified chemical etchant. It really does not take that long, on the order of 36 hours. I assume the cranks would have to be repolished and possibly ground if the white layers are changing the bearing surface. This would seem to be a much lower cost path if a vendor set up the process and did multiple cranks at the same time. Maybe good core charge and exchange?

If it is done like gears, it goes into a large vibratory tank (like deburring) with specific contact media and a specified chemical etchant.

Correct. If you read the meeting notes from the FAA/SAP meeting they talk about the polishing process to remove the white layer. Doesn't say how they were doing it. I assume its done the traditional way by putting the crank on a lathe and polishing with a journal polisher. Sounds like they were not polishing the radii very well. The vibratory process would polish the entire crankshaft and in that regard this is much better. The question would be how to test the crank after the isotropic superfinishing process to determine if the white layer still exists, and this would be the basis for acceptable data for doing an AMOC.

The FAA is saying the white layer is the root cause, so if its gone, problem solved.

The other AMOC in my opinion would be to grind the crank M003.

Lycon has been doing cryo treatment on their cranks and I think that would be another good secondary treatment for using these cranks.

Rocket Bob said:

"The FAA is saying the white layer is the root cause, so if its gone, problem solved."

I'm assuming the text after "cause" is Rocket Bob's and not the FAA's

A very prominent engine expert one told me that the border between nitrided area and non-nitrided areas acts as a stress riser and if someone is attempting to remove the affected area, AFTER THE ENGINE HAS BEEN RUN, should probably subject the crank to a commercial X-ray study to see if fracture planes have started.

FWIW

Back