What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot Report: Tanis Engine Preheat system

BMW_X6M

I have just installed kit TSP4CYL-2925-115 on my O-320-D2G for colder overnight temperatures here in my new home state of Tennessee.

I found this to be an extremely well made product with very nice weatherpack connectors. I liked this kit with its heated bolts that replace one of the intake pipe bolts on each cylinder, plus a pad for the sump.

I also purchased their mounting kit TU01062 to mount the power plug to the oil dipstick tube. I used a piece of 1 inch heater hose as a grommet around the dipstick tube rather than their method of winding self vulcanizing tape around the dipstick tube. The heater hose slit down the middle worked perfectly as a grommet for the two hose clamps on the power plug bracket.

The wiring was very high quality enclosed in sheathing. I mounted the distribution connector to the engine mount behind the engine baffle using two Adel clamps. I also wrapped the harness to each side of the engine in spiral wrap conduit for a cleaner installation.

The current draw is only 2.1 amps at 120volts for 250 watts. After plugging in overnight, the entire engine and cowling area was at 100 degrees. All metal was warm to the touch. Engine oil was at 100 degrees.

This is an expensive kit which can be used on certified aircraft. I am very satisfied just the same with the quality and the performance of this system.

I used their heating system on all three of my airplanes over a 25 year span. Great Products. I wouldn't trust my planes with anything else. Never had issues.

Roberta:)

I just installed mine in my aircraft and love it. Plugged in overnight and the oil is at 85 degrees on start up. Takes less time to reach 100 now.

I've been using a Tanis system in my RV-14A and it has worked great. I have a Switcheon remote switch so I turn on the heat with my phone the night before I want to fly. When I get to the hangar the engine is nice and warm, provided I remembered to plug the heaters in before I left the hangar after the previous flight!

Back