What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need help with Oil cooler Hoses

N787R

Engine : IO360-M1B. RV7.

I have hard time attaching the VA-134 hose and AN823-8D to the engine.
There seems not enough space to attach the hose to the the AN832 around here. (right between the mags and below them).

Looking for some pictures to see how others have attached and routed VA-134 to the engine. Page # OP-27.

Thanks

Ben

You'll need a new hose

Getting a picture of this area is really difficult, but you're going to need a new supply hose with a 45 deg. fitting if you have a prop govenor back there. I'm not sure there's any other way to deal with this. Note in the pic, there's no line installed but it does work well.

P6090115.JPG

The fit and direction of the threaded nipple is a very close tolerance for clearance. Also with the connector for the oil pressure line. The pre-engine instruction directions are not very accurate as to direction of the nipple. I had to put a wrench on them and adjust both of them after I had the engine installed. It would pay to install the oil lines prior to installing the engine to ensure fit around all objects. I was just able to put a wrench on them for final adjustment after engine installation but it was scary.

I have the prop control back there and I just had barely enough room to locate the oil lines.

Ben, not sure if you have the governor bracket in place but here is a thought or two. The governor bracket will keep you from making a tight bend if you use the 45 fitting. You will need to rotate it no matter what you do.

The mod shown on my prop gov bracket came from Vans. I did put a reinforcing strip right under the cut. You probably need to know where your oil cooler connection will be since the angle of the 45 determines how smooth the bend in the hose will be through the bracket and back to the oil cooler. Hope that is clear.

A straight fitting will not work as the hose fitting hits the oil filter mount. Use the 45 but clock it down.

The hose in the following picture is not attached to the oil cooler but it really makes a smooth bend back up to the cooler. This is the standard hose that comes with the Vans FWF kit. Obivously, if you want to use a different lenght hose, the path will be different.

Hope this heps.
Bill S
7a Ark still struggleing

[ed. Emailed to me from Mel Asberry (DAR) after he saw these pictures - possible issues...
"I'm concerned about 2 items in these pictures. In the top picture the oil pressure line seems to be clamped to the engine mount very close to the engine itself. There is not sufficient room for flex between the mount and the engine.
The second picture shows the prop cable mount cut away to clear the oil line. Besides leaving too little of the bracket left, it is a possible chafe point for the line. Neither of these is a show stopper immediately but could fail down the road.
Thanks,
Mel"]

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill

Thanks for the pictures.
I had not have thought of cutting into prop control lever. But that would be something that I would consider.

B

IIRC I used a 45 fitting on the engine and a hose (from Precision Hose) with a 45 degree fitting also. No cutting of the prop cable fitting required. Per Dan C's example.

May be doubler

That bracket looks weakened. I know its steel but and the load should not be great, but may be a doubler? Also does the control clear the oil line. Sorry no offense, just a thought, may be a moot thought.

That is a difficult area to access and then provide a good visual perspective of, especially with a cheap digital camera but here goes. The first photo provides context. What the first photo cannot show is the slight clearance cut (accomplished in place with a Pencil grinder) I made in the upper corner of the prop governor bracket so the Van's FWF oil cooler hose would achieve positive clearance with it. The second photo shows just how little material was actually removed. I had to clock the 45 degree fluid fitting at a very precise angle to make it work. Thanks for reminding me...I forgot to touch up that steel part with paint.

Last edited:
Oil Adaptor

You can gain clearance with a 90 degree oil filter adaptor, which is also a nice way to reduce oil spill mess back there when you change the oil filter.

Hans

OK, after all it is an experimental ;-) However, this was the recommedation from Vans and I did say that I welded a brace on the back. See picture below with the brace showing. I promise that it is stronger now than it was before and the oil line makes a nice perfect bend to the oil cooler. I would do it again because in my case the 45 on the 45 would have caused me to have to kink the hose to get it to connect the other end to the oil cooler. I think whatever you can do to keep fluid flows smooth is good.

On the oil pressure line clamp issue,... look close in the picture in the previous post (a couple back) and you will see that the clamps actually have just slid down the hose and are really the two that attach the oil pressure line to the firewall, per plans. I don't have anything attaching the oil pressure hose to the motor mount but it does sorta look that way in the picture.

Hope that helps! But keep on looking cause this is my first ;-) and it could easily be SNAFU and me not know it.

Bill S

Today I ran into the same problem, but on an O-320 with P-mags and an MT prop gvnr.

Rather than cut into the prop govenor arm, the solution I can see is to put a 90 deg fitting on the back of the engine and bring the oil straight up. I can see that will not work on Bill S's engine because he has what I assume is a small altenator on the accesory pad, but otherwise is there a reason not to do this?

Thanks.

Help with the fittings.

My issue is with installing the oil fitting located between the right mag and the oil filter adapter. I'm trying to use a 45 deg fitting. The engine is already installed; I would prefer not to remove anything from the accessory case. Will I be able to get to it with a crowsfoot wrench? (I'd try it but my set doesn't go to 13/16"). If not, what is the easiest way to proceed?

Thanks,
Paige
(O-360 A1A)

I tripped over this one.

Spent the last couple hours wondering how much I was going to have to undo to get my oil cooler line in. Answer: prop bracket/arm/etc. Darnit, at least I know I'm not alone.

Very thankful to have this forum.

For those who have not hung their engine yet, I think you should look at connecting the oil line near the prop governer. Just leave it hanging till way later when you've installed the radiator.

Two 45 degree fittings?

I know this is an old thread but I’m hoping for some feedback. I had to put a 45 fitting out of the accessory case to clear my Casper oil filter adaptor on my O 320E2D. This resulted in too tight of a radius on my new and very expensive integral Teflon fire sleeve hose. Can I add another 45 degree fitting (a male/female flare) to the one already on the accessory case? Are two 45 fitting together okay? I know it would be better to have a new hose made with a 45 on the end, but is it safe to use two 45 degree fittings in tandem?

Hi Tim, you 'can' but you increase the potential leak points, and 2 adapters are a bandaid. Is there a possibility of indexing the cooler fitting at allow a better radius? Post a pic----without it, we are speculating.

Tom

Thanks. I don’t think indexing the 45 fitting will help. I’ve uploaded a pic.

Attachments

• AC00133F-FDE3-4558-AD0E-19CD1B75395C.jpg
    AC00133F-FDE3-4558-AD0E-19CD1B75395C.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Back