What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

longer fuel selector lever?

Does anyone know of an aftermarket fuel selector lever that is longer than the one supplied by Vans and will fit on the Vans fuel selector stem? My airplane partner has arthritis and finds it difficult to switch tanks with one hand. A longer handle would provide more leverage.

The RV-10 has an extension on the fuel selector. Send me a PM with your email address and I’ll send you a .pdf showing the parts. To maki to work, you’d need those parts and you’ll need to fabricate a support bracket to take any of the lateral loads that happen when you turn a handle like the fuel selector.

Edit, I re-read the original post, and it sounds like the OP is looking for a longer (bigger) handle, not an extension to lift the height of the handle. I'm sure there is a way to fabricate something, but I'm not aware of a drop-in replacement.

Last edited:
Just a heads up -- historically, there has sometimes been confusion on a long fuel selector handle as to whether the long part is the pointer or the tail. Accidents have resulted from the confusion. Standard practice is that the long part is the pointer to the selected tank.

Lube?

I don't know of a longer lever, but is the valve a bit difficult i.e. stiff to turn anyway? If so then some fuel lube on the spindle should free it up. If it is an older valve that has a brass spindle then replace the whole valve with a new one that has a plastic spindle.

The RV10 extension mentioned became necessary after about 2008, when Vans re-located the valve lower. I’m not sure it is adaptable to a -7.
Have you tried simply lubricating the existing valve/valve stem? When new they aren’t that hard to turn.

Thanks all, for the feedback. Guess the next step is to try to lube the fuel selector shaft. This is a fairly new fuel selector (previous one was sticking when rotated) and it was pretty stiff when new.

Thanks all, for the feedback. Guess the next step is to try to lube the fuel selector shaft. This is a fairly new fuel selector (previous one was sticking when rotated) and it was pretty stiff when new.

More work, but you might consider replacing it with an Andair valve.

Attachments

• Pointer.jpg
    Pointer.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Dan, can you give me a source for the metal handle pictured? Thanks!

That looks like the standard handle that comes with the valve (or came with the 3 valves I have).

If that's what you need (the handle), send me a PM with your contact info and I'll mail you a handle.

Back