What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trig TY91 radio versus MGL V16 radio

PaulvS

Well Known Member
Looking for feedback or pireps from anyne who may have experience with the above VHF comm radios, both of which use a 2 1/4" control head, a remotely mounted transceiver, dual channel scanning and built-in intercom. I am considering which to purchase for installation as the single comm radio in a RV-6A for day VFR use, alongside a Dynon Skyview 10".

I already have a V16 with Vega control head in the aircraft that I currently fly and generally the radio works fine and the control head is easy to see. However, the control head has only two knobs and therefore the user interface is a bit quirky for swapping active and standby frequencies and turning on/off scanning. I've tried to contact MGL via their forum and email and also the local Australian rep and there has been no response at all, unfortunately . Not vendor bashing, but support is an important factor.

I'm wondering if the Trig TY91 may be a better option for the RV, the main concern is it is almost double the price of the MGL radio. I also don't have any direct experience with the user interface or performance or support.

Thanks
Paul.

I’m using a V16 in my little jet, with the round 2 1/4” two-knob head, and yeah…it is quirky to use! Works as designed, it is just a bit unforgiving. Fortunately it is tied to the MGL EFIS, and that interface works pretty well, so I generally use it instead.

Functionally, the radio is good and strong - just wish the control head made a little more sense.

I have the Trig and can only say good things about it. Checking liveatc.net from various places the sound is very good. Support from Trig is good - I sent mine in for a "refresh" just before first flight, and they did it all for a very good price. (OK it was free, but I don't know if that's because I asked nicely, or if that's their policy.) Anytime I've had a question they have been very quick to respond by email and phone. The two-place intercom works fine, but the squelch adjustments are for both headsets, so you will probably get best results from having two of the same type. The was my excuse to buy a new A20, and put the X in the back. :D

That said, many radios, including the Trig, can be controlled from your EFIS. If that's the case with MGL, perhaps it could an option to avoid the limitations on the control head user interface?

Trig, everytime. As mentioned above, the quality is excellent and their service is second to none. Even the cheapest radios are not cheap, spend a little bit more than minimum and you’ll get what you pay for.

I’ve had experience of Microair radios in the past in a club glider (it packed up) and trying to get a reply from Microair to repair it was hopeless. I would never touch them again.

Dynon radio

Hi Paul,

Is there a reason you're not looking at the Dynon/Skyview radio? It is a way off in my build and I am looking at Dynon/Skyview EFIS and figured I would just use their radios and other bits.

Not judging hat you are doing, just trying to learn.

Dynon radio

Hi Paul,

Is there a reason you're not looking at the Dynon/Skyview radio? It is a way off in my build and I am looking at Dynon/Skyview EFIS and figured I would just use their radios and other bits.

Not judging hat you are doing, just trying to learn.

Hi Blake,
That's a good question, I looked at the Dynon radio but it does not include an intercom, so that would be an extra item. Also, there appears to be an ongoing shortage of Dynon radios and intercoms - they are just not readily available. I like the compact round gauge appearance of the MGL and Trig Ty91 control heads, so that is another factor for me. I understand that the Dynon transceiver is actually made by Trig and it is a good unit that has been closely integrated into the Skyview system (there are pros and cons to that level of integration).
Cheers
Paul.

I’m using a V16 in my little jet, with the round 2 1/4” two-knob head, and yeah…it is quirky to use! Works as designed, it is just a bit unforgiving. Fortunately it is tied to the MGL EFIS, and that interface works pretty well, so I generally use it instead.

Functionally, the radio is good and strong - just wish the control head made a little more sense.

Yes! the control head interface is unforgiving and when the workload is high it can be frustrating. The control head hardware can already be wired to two configurable remote inputs, but unfortunately there is no option to configure either input for the scanning function. Perhaps a firmware enhancement is all that it would take?

Hi Blake,
That's a good question, I looked at the Dynon radio but it does not include an intercom, so that would be an extra item. Also, there appears to be an ongoing shortage of Dynon radios and intercoms - they are just not readily available. I like the compact round gauge appearance of the MGL and Trig Ty91 control heads, so that is another factor for me. I understand that the Dynon transceiver is actually made by Trig and it is a good unit that has been closely integrated into the Skyview system (there are pros and cons to that level of integration).
Cheers
Paul.

That makes sense, thanks Paul :)

In the UK Trig is not so expensive. The TY91 is an excellent radio, I have had >150nm range from 9000ft. I have installed cheaper radios (KRT2) and lived to regret it.

I have the Trig and can only say good things about it. Checking liveatc.net from various places the sound is very good. Support from Trig is good - I sent mine in for a "refresh" just before first flight, and they did it all for a very good price. (OK it was free, but I don't know if that's because I asked nicely, or if that's their policy.) Anytime I've had a question they have been very quick to respond by email and phone. The two-place intercom works fine, but the squelch adjustments are for both headsets, so you will probably get best results from having two of the same type. The was my excuse to buy a new A20, and put the X in the back. :D

That said, many radios, including the Trig, can be controlled from your EFIS. If that's the case with MGL, perhaps it could an option to avoid the limitations on the control head user interface?

Thanks Mickey, good feedback on the Trig, as far as MGL control goes I don't think the Dynon EFIS supports their protocol, even though MGL make it available. Ideally, MGL would update the user interface on the control head to be more "industry standard", but there is no indication that is going to happen. :(

Looking for feedback or pireps from anyne who may have experience with the above VHF comm radios, both of which use a 2 1/4" control head, a remotely mounted transceiver, dual channel scanning and built-in intercom. I am considering which to purchase for installation as the single comm radio in a RV-6A for day VFR use, alongside a Dynon Skyview 10".

I already have a V16 with Vega control head in the aircraft that I currently fly and generally the radio works fine and the control head is easy to see. However, the control head has only two knobs and therefore the user interface is a bit quirky for swapping active and standby frequencies and turning on/off scanning. I've tried to contact MGL via their forum and email and also the local Australian rep and there has been no response at all, unfortunately . Not vendor bashing, but support is an important factor.

I'm wondering if the Trig TY91 may be a better option for the RV, the main concern is it is almost double the price of the MGL radio. I also don't have any direct experience with the user interface or performance or support.

Thanks
Paul.

I went with the TY-91 when I bought my S-2E. I wanted to replace both the radio and the intercom. The all-in-one TY-91 solution saved me space and a lot of time and wiring. It works great. I rarely fly with two people but, obviously, when I do the intercom is essential. I used a Sandia transponder and Echo UAT to get ADSB In/Out. Everything works great and was reasonably priced.

The v16 interfaces with sky view fine. It uses the sl30 protocol. The freq push from skywiew works perfect, now. I was one of the first to interface av16 and skyview and found a bug on certain frequencies but they patched the code a day or so after I emails them. The only minor thing is you must adjust volume and squelch and other parameters through the Vega head. I love the v16 skyview combo.

Bob. Burns

Back