What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Talk me into/out of Beringer wheels/brakes

gotyoke

Well Known Member
I don't have more than a couple months to decide. Primary considerations:

• Initial cost ($5k extra, maybe more)
  • Long-term costs (no flats, better brake durability, but they cost more)
  • Maintenance headaches (I understand you don't need to repack bearings)
  • Replacement part availability (what if Beringer goes out of business someday?)
  • Resale value (decades down the road, ideally)
  • They look cool
  • What else?

Since it probably matters, my mission pretty much exclusively has me landing on hard-surface runways with plenty of length in fair weather.

Beringer

I never touched any other brand but here's a few other things to sway the choice.
Beringer manufacturers brakes for motorcycles, cars and a racing division. I doubt they will go out of business.
Beringer masters are adjustable. Easy to install and adjust pedal position.
Beringer brake lines are braided. Simple to make but TS Flightlines sells a full package. I made mine and the lines from parking brake to the wheel are one piece. No Vans connections. Fewer points of failure. If you plan to fabricate your lines, buy a few more "Olives". Mistakes happen. Also buy a few extra copper washers. They are the seals like power steering lines on a car.
I added the Beringer "T" to connect to the Vans reservoir installed FWF.
I did not install the Antilock brake valve. Too many points of failure. Hope it doesn't bite me.
I did not install the two Beringer reservoirs. Too much trouble to fill separately.
Wish I could have deleted the unused items but I got a fabulous deal on the kit. Not disappointed.
Wheels and calipers were simple to install

Approximately 9lbs weight savings mostly due to going to tubeless tires I believe.

Call Aircraft Specialty or meet Steve at OSH who is there now. I was able to get all my deletes for my 14A which helps reduce the cost.

SenseAir

You can remotely monitor the air pressure without removing the wheel pants or cutting a hole in the side of the pants, priceless.

My company maintains several aircraft with Beringer brakes. While they work they are great. The pads are not nearly as readily available as Cleveland, nor are the discs. The discs also take much longer to change. Changing a tyre ideally needs a special press, although they are not difficult to make. The wheels have a large O-ring inside that should be changed at each tyre change.
May be an idea to hold pads and wheel O-rings in stock for the day you need them right away.

Beringer is the best period. Beringer is the most expensive, very expensive. Too much for me to justify. Going with stock rims, brakes. The old saying you get what you oay for? OK fine but I need something round to roll on and something to stop me. The Beringer looks fantastic but they are hidden under wheel pants it takes some of the bragging rights away... Also RV's land slow and are light, so braking is less critical than a fast landing SE retractable hot homebuilt of factory built aircraft. I flew some certified planes that had marginal brakes for weight of the plane. RV's barely need to use the brakes on landing.

Bottom line Beringer does offer value in that there are clearly things that are superior to stock. You have to decide if it is worth it. If money no object order your kit sans brakes and rims and get Beringer. People do it for cars all the time, spend ridiculous amounts of money even though the stock rollers work fine. There are things about stock wheels and brakes I don't like, but nothing good maintenance will not prevent.

Last edited:
I don't have more than a couple months to decide. Primary considerations:

• Initial cost ($5k extra, maybe more)
  • Long-term costs (no flats, better brake durability, but they cost more)
  • Maintenance headaches (I understand you don't need to repack bearings)
  • Replacement part availability (what if Beringer goes out of business someday?)
  • Resale value (decades down the road, ideally)
  • They look cool
  • What else?

Since it probably matters, my mission pretty much exclusively has me landing on hard-surface runways with plenty of length in fair weather.

BIG cost
No flats? I’d like to see that in writing…lol
Beringer probably will stay in business
Resale? You aren’t going to extract the acquisition cost
Yes, they look cool…too bad you won’t see them under the wheel pants

I opted for the matco solution. Very happy with them. They absolutey will stop the airplane, great customer service, and less than 1/3 the cost of beringer.

Pants

I just found another minor issue.
The caliper is a tad proud of the pant. I had to relieve the area and layup a new area. Minor repair.

Back