What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Earth x Battery in Battery Box between rudders.

Redbud40

Well Known Member
Has anyone installed an Earth X in the RV 6 battery box that sits on floor between the L and R rudder pedals. If so, did you install venting tubes and where were they routed overboard. ? Thinking of switching, but not real thrilled about drilling a hole in belly skin if that is required.
Red

On some of the other posts on Earth X batteries there are discussions on venting. This is from the installation manual. Just curious what others have done in this case. ?

Attachments

• 484C78AD-E4AA-45CF-B30F-A62C97AB87AD.jpg
    484C78AD-E4AA-45CF-B30F-A62C97AB87AD.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 178
Our 6A has the battery in between the pedals but it's an off brand AGM battery. Hadn't heard about the venting before. Is this needed with all batteries or just Earth-X?

Call Kathy

I have an EarthX battery on my firewall - enclosed in their SS, insulated battery box. I love it. I suggest you contact Kathy at EarthX and discuss your installation location. She will be happy to answer your questions about venting requirements. (My opinion is that it must be their vented model)

Our 6A has the battery in between the pedals but it's an off brand AGM battery. Hadn't heard about the venting before. Is this needed with all batteries or just Earth-X?
I'm not an expert on batteries, but in my SUV, the battery (AGM) is under the trunck floor and is vented.
In the C72R Cutlass, the battery (Lead Acid) is behind the baggage bulkhead and is vented.
The battery behind the baggage area in my 8 (EarthX) is vented.

I believe any battery may produce gas when operated/recharged.
As Tim said, better inquire with EarthX for your installation.

Just to note, the vented Earth-X battery is a different part than the standard earth-X. They don't all come with the vents, the vented version is more expensive. You will also need to modify the mount for the smaller battery.

The RV-6/As tend to be a little tail heavy, the battery is forward of the CG. The weight savings here will shift your CG aft. Just take that into consideration as well.

Last edited:
I'm not an expert on batteries, but in my SUV, the battery (AGM) is under the trunck floor and is vented.
In the C72R Cutlass, the battery (Lead Acid) is behind the baggage bulkhead and is vented.
The battery behind the baggage area in my 8 (EarthX) is vented.

I believe any battery may produce gas when operated/recharged.
As Tim said, better inquire with EarthX for your installation.

Can't get in the minds of designers/builders but from my ancient memory banks:

The venting on lead type batteries enclosures is probably/was originally for H2 off-gassing when charging. It is an FAA requirement and consistent with most Professional Society standards/guidelines/codes/etc. Maybe the codes/standards have not caught up with AGM tech; or the assumption may be that there's no guarantee a more vintage design battery won't be used instead; or an AGM secondary failure mode could still vent H2, whatever.

Anyway for most applications in the world, lead acid batteries inside of secondary enclosures (cockpits here) should have vented containment. Could probably argue around the related requirements/codes and meet compliance; batteries mounted in a vented tail cone that is "sealed" from cabin would be an easy interpretation. EarthX tech (LiFePo) inside of an airframe, especially a cockpit should be vented. The consequences are way more predicable with related catastrophic battery failures.

Hopefully someone here with FAA, IEEE/NFPA or other professional society knowledge regarding the above will speak up. Maybe the code world has caught-up a little with the real world. I'll assume from history that any aviation related standards are not current with recent tech requiring reliance on the OEMs.

Edit = Will say that battery science has been fun to watch lately. Way more advancements in the past few years than the previous decades. If the electrolyte-less, SS battery tech proves scalable (Solid Power being one of many trying to advance this), it will be one more nice step in weight, safety, and versatility.

Last edited:
Light Battery moved CG aft

I once looked at replacing my RV-6 between the rudder pedals AGM battery with an EarthX battery. I dropped the idea when I found what it did to my weight and balance. I lost too much baggage weight capacity. Yes I have a constant speed prop on the nose and that allows for a much better CG range but the loss of battery weight made a negative change for me. I did not like the idea of adding weight to the airplane to bring the CG back to where it is with the AGM battery.

I like the airplane as light as I can get it but reducing weight sometimes is a negative when it moves CG the wrong direction.

Back