What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Finishing kit before choosing engine...

rsr3

Well Known Member
Hi everyone.

I’m about to place an order for my finishing kit, but as yet haven’t decided what engine I’m going to put in it. I’d like a new M1B, but if a cheaper second hand engine comes up in the meantime is there a best option for finishing kit that would fit any engine? For example should I order the cowls for the carved engine with the scoop?

Anybody been down this road before?

Thanks

It is possible to remove and add the scoop. It is also possible to add and remove the horizontal induction sump to an engine - the "Superior" sump is probably better than the Lycoming version. Clearly horizontal induction needs fuel injection. The only downside is money and time. Can't remember what else might be affected.

Horizontal vs Vertical

Very little difference in the kit as far as the 360 is concerned. Horizontal vs Vertical will be the big one. Scoop or no scoop. The rest is small parts you can easiely order later.
There are a few other differences driven by type of induction and location of governor. You may want to delete controls till you know. Mixture, Throttle and Prop are expensive cables.

Thanks chaps, all useful. The choice of engine mount could be problematic too, maybe?

Mount

Thanks chaps, all useful. The choice of engine mount could be problematic too, maybe?

Most Lycoming use the Dynafocal. I would be careful about buying an engine requiring a Lord mount. Only issue with the Dynafocal would be if you buy a 320 and want to use the longer RV9 mount. That would change the cowl. Some builders do it and use a Sam James cowl. The idea is to move the CG forward.

Great - thanks! It’ll be a 360 of some flavour, so dynafocal it is.

Thanks everyone.

The other thing I can think of off the top of my head is the carburated/fuel injected decision drives different boost pumps and boost pump locations.

Back