What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flyleds Controller Location

storkeye

Friend
I've just finished building the flyleds controller circuit board which was awesome fun. It's now ready to be installed in the fuse permanently.

The instructions say under the seat is a good place to mount it using the supplied plastic standoffs.

Has anyone installed theirs there? Are there any gotchas or adjustments needed I should be aware of before I drill the 4 holes for the standoffs?

Or am I over thinking it? :D

Check out Andrew Kilroy's youtube channel. He did it around there in a -14. Might take some google fu to find the right videos.

I've just finished building the flyleds controller circuit board which was awesome fun. It's now ready to be installed in the fuse permanently.

The instructions say under the seat is a good place to mount it using the supplied plastic standoffs.

Has anyone installed theirs there? Are there any gotchas or adjustments needed I should be aware of before I drill the 4 holes for the standoffs?

Or am I over thinking it? :D

Mines under the seat. Working well for me so far.

I put mine here. But no holes in spar pass thru. I made an aluminum plate same size. Put 4 countersunk screws with spacers for mounting the controller to the plate. Then 3M Velcro the plate to the spar pass thru. 2 annuals ago. Inspected at each one. No problems - Has worked fine.
“EZ” to remove for maintenance or change as needed. The plate stays with the controller.

I put mine on the sub panel in front of the instrument panel. It's on an RV8. It seemed easier there. I have a big hole in the instrument panel when I remove my GRT 10.1.

Peek-a-boo I see you

I had installed the access panel kit. Since I have a very simple VFR panel, I didn't need the space on the sub panel for anything else. So, I installed my controller board facing forward so that I could see and access it from one of the access panels.

Ryan

Attachments

• FLYLEDS_Board[1].jpg
    FLYLEDS_Board[1].jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 208
Thinking about wire runs, I put my controller under my seat. That allowed me to use my original strobe cables to all three lights, and the same wires back to the switches up front. I could not find a photo, and perhaps I neglected to take one, but I just installed it where my original strobe controller was.

http://www.rv8.ch/strobe-power-supply-mounting-bracket/

Sorry for the potato camera photos.

20041111212444218_3.jpg

Have exactly the same setup as Ryan in post #6. No problems for more than 100 hours now.

Put mine on side of baggage compartment

Also mounted in the box recommended by flyled folk.

Attachments

• 5DC347E7-5699-4C83-A918-C6486BDBD90B.jpg
    5DC347E7-5699-4C83-A918-C6486BDBD90B.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 207
Consider future access

If you are retrofitting the kit into a flying plane then that will usually dictate where the controller board goes.
If you are wiring from new and have the room I would encourage you to mount the controller board behind the panel instead. That way you don't have to dismantle your plane interior if you feel like changing the strobe flash patterns, for example.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your installation ideas!

Me too

Also mounted in the box recommended by flyled folk.

I used the Flyled recommended box too. mainly because I hate exposed circuits. But I drilled some holes in the top to let the hot air out and keep the strobe resistor from baking.
It is the gray box in the photo. The blue tape is covering the holes during construction.

Attachments

• EDAEA35A-222E-49AA-BE7A-6036667A1B07.jpg
    EDAEA35A-222E-49AA-BE7A-6036667A1B07.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
I used the Flyled recommended box too. mainly because I hate exposed circuits. But I drilled some holes in the top to let the hot air out and keep the strobe resistor from baking.
It is the gray box in the photo. The blue tape is covering the holes during construction.

I just checked the flyleds site and didn't see this recommended box/cover for sale there. Where can one get this?

Hi Mickey

I designed The Works controller board to fit a Hammond 1591XXSSBK box. There is a 1591XXSSFL option with mounting flanges as well.
They can be found at Mouser, Digi-Key etc.

I didn't have a box in mind for The Original kit, but it will fit inside the same one with some DIY hardware.

Hi Mickey

I designed The Works controller board to fit a Hammond 1591XXSSBK box. There is a 1591XXSSFL option with mounting flanges as well.
They can be found at Mouser, Digi-Key etc.

I didn't have a box in mind for The Original kit, but it will fit inside the same one with some DIY hardware.

Thanks Paul.

Thank you

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and pictures it's been a great help. It's amazing to see all the different installations.

Paul - thank you for your flanged mounting box suggestion, for the price I think it's probably well worth using.

I put mine in the recommended project box as well, and installed it under the passenger seat. Additionally, due to the way I chose to orient the box, I had to replace the screw terminal for the light power with a molex connector for better clearance:

Back