What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Passenger info sheet

cdeggz

Well Known Member
Curious if anybody has a passenger info sheet they provide before flying with passengers to provide information and align expectations. (Searched the forum and did not find anything). Seems there is a lot of info that could be a much to take in.

Curious if anybody has a passenger info sheet they provide before flying with passengers to provide information and align expectations. (Searched the forum and did not find anything). Seems there is a lot of info that could be a much to take in.

That's a great idea - it will be interesting to see what comes up. I do a brief "brief", but I'm guessing 90% goes in one ear, out the other. As I guess we all know, humans learn in different ways, and a physical info sheet could be helpful.

On ingress
-Ask do you have to pee?
-specifically show/demonstrate where to step and where to grab
Once in
-Safety Belt and shoulder harness buckle and unbuckle
-headset on and volume adjust, check they hear me and I hear them
-Canopy latch operation
-Location of canopy break tool
-Location of Fire Extinguisher
-Don’t touch the stick (if installed)
-keep Feet clear of rudder peddles
-Ask Any history of air sickness? If so hand them a sick sack
After run-up
-Ask/verify Cell phone in airplane mode?
-Ask have camera where it can easily be reach?
-Ask/verify Seat belts are tight?
-Ask/verify Are you Ready?
Have Fun

If cross country flight additional checks after run-up
-Ask if have water?
-Ask if have sun protection (sunglasses, hat, sunscreen)

Last edited:
Don't forget
§91.319 (d) Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall --- (1) Advise each person carried of the experimental nature of the aircraft.

Just having the "Passenger Warning" is not sufficient. All passengers must be "advised".

Last edited:
Don't forget
§91.319 (d) Each person operating an aircraft that has an experimental certificate shall --- (1) Advise each person carried of the experimental nature of the aircraft.

Just having the "Passenger Warning" is not sufficient. All passengers must be "advised".

And don't worry - if you have the placard in the right place, they'll ask about it! :D

On ingress
-Ask do you want to pee

-Ask if have water?

Might want to ask this before you get to the airplane....

On ingress
-Ask do you have to pee?
-specifically show/demonstrate
where to step and where to grab
Once in
-Canopy latch operation
After run-up
Have Fun

-Ask if have water?

I'll admit I was dreading what words might come next, for just an instant...

Missing one thing!

I ask all passengers to tuck their shirt tail in and if the barf to do it down the front of their shirt.

Truth or lie!

I've been plugging away on a nice two-sided, 5.5x8.5 card for N12VD that I can provide a passenger, in addition to the verbal briefing and required verbal advisory about the experimental nature of the aircraft. In the spirit of sharing and getting feedback, here's a very, very early draft.

It's format and content are based very heavily on this old one I saw many years ago.

It is important to tell your passengers when they can talk to you and when you have to listen and communicate with ATC. I've taken up some Young Eagles who were very chatty!

On ingress
-Ask do you have to pee?
-specifically show/demonstrate where to step and where to grab
Once in
-Canopy latch operation
After run-up
Have Fun

-Ask if have water?

You make your passengers put their cell on airplane mode? Just curious why?

Formatting not right, but you get the idea

Passenger Briefing & Demonstration—Pre-Start
14 CFR 91.519

1. No smoking
2. Seatbelts – Operate like a car, lap & shoulder on at all times
3. Seat Positions – Adjust and lock
4. Air Vents – Locations; operation
5. Do Not Touch Other Controls/Pedals
6. Tell me if you are not feeling well; Sick Sacks
7. Fire Extinguisher – On floor buy front passenger seat; operation
8. Flotation Device – N/A
9. Exits – (doors, windows, baggage door—operation)
10. Oxygen – Normal & Emergency Use
11. Emergency Locator Transmitter – (in front of passenger, ops)
12. Airplane Radio Use; Emergency frequency 121.5
13. Emergency Kit – Location; Use – N/A
14. Portable Hand-Held Radio
15. Garmin inReach Satellite Communicator – Operation
16. Cellular Phone -Leave on for GPS
17. Evacuation Plan – (generally, stay with/near the plane)
18. Appropriate Clothes for (Un)planned Overnight/Weather
19. How You Can Help?
a. Watch for Traffic!
• On the ground & In the air;
• Clock method (e.g., 2:00 high/low, etc.)[/INDENT]
20. Talking – Sterile Cockpit
a. We can always talk safety (e.g., traffic)
b. Times I need to listen/make radio calls, please be patient
21. Checklists – Standard pilot procedure (all pilots use them)
22. Your Questions?

Mine is similar to the above. I did notice some passengers viewed my thoroughness with concern. My friend Suzanne looked at me and said, “If you told me you were planning to crash this thing… maybe I should get out now!” Ah, feed back is good. I thought my demeanor would take the concern out of the brief.

Now I start with, “I treat this just like going out on a boat… “ For some reason this takes the edge off some people. And I’ve not had a smart comment about planning to sink the boat. :D

Question; How do you brief another pilot? One with more experience in GA/type. One with less experience in type but more heavy experience. Etc. This can go sideways fast during a non-normal. A good brief helps out tremendously. Makes the difference between pilots working against each other (not intentionally) or working together well.

If you’re a passenger in another’s aircraft, do you get a brief on equipment, differences & expectations? Do you establish who is PIC? If you assume these things and get a non-normal event… If I don’t get a brief, I now ask questions to clear up the above.

Last edited:
I always thought it would be cute to have Air Safety Art International make a custom card for an RV, I wonder how much they would charge for a project like that. Could be something a bunch of owners could pool together on if enough people are interested.

I always thought it would be cute to have Air Safety Art International make a custom card for an RV, I wonder how much they would charge for a project like that. Could be something a bunch of owners could pool together on if enough people are interested.

That's an interesting idea. Think I'll sit back and watch this group try to agree on a standard set of inputs. PPP! (Please Pass the Popcorn!)

Seriously - there are some excellent comments above. Certainly things I haven't considered. Including making an actual personalized briefing checklist. Should have done that right from the start.

I don't have a list, but I always tell them to please keep their hands and feet off the controls, how to unlatch the canopy, and show them that there's a sick-sack by their right knee. I guess I never would have thought to mention cell phones.

Number 1 on my list...

Attachments

• sicksack.png
    sicksack.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 280
and... where to wait

I've been plugging away on a nice two-sided, 5.5x8.5 card for N12VD that I can provide a passenger...

Ryan- great work.
Before we walk out, I tell them where to board, i.e. "... when I finish the preflight, I'll call you over to the right side, behind the wing..."

At the "emergency" section, I add "... after we exit, meet me at the tail, or if that's not safe, away from the airplane in that direction."

Back