camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2022, 04:34 PM

Lightbulb Announcing No-Cost US VFR Database Offering for G3X/G3X Touch

Garmin is pleased to announce new cost-saving US (United States) VFR database subscriptions for the G3X and G3X Touch flight displays! This includes a new no-cost US VFR Basic Database Bundle for G3X/G3XT users.

Beginning on November 23rd, 2022 users have been able to select the US VFR Basic Database Plan that includes US Airport Navigation Data, Terrain, and Obstacles free of charge. This database package will keep the flight displays updated on industry-standard 28-day release cycles. This is a great choice for the US VFR flyer wanting simple basemap and airport information updates.

Additionally, Garmin is adding extra value to the current US Mini Database Bundle subscription (now called US VFR Plus Database Bundle). For the current cost of $49.99/yr users will retain the US Airport Navigation Data, Obstacles, Terrain, and SafeTaxi diagrams - but will now feature added US VFR Sectionals and US Airport Facilities Directory at no additional cost.

These database plan offerings can be accessed using your current FlyGarmin.com account. You can also access several helpful how-to video guides on updating your flight display databases on the Garmin Aviation Support Center webpage.

B/R,

Brad
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 11-29-2022 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:08 PM

Are these limited-time sales, or long-term price/product changes?
Donated 12/16/2022
RV-7A (N12VD): Flying RV in Phase 1
Old 11-29-2022, 07:05 PM

Thumbs up

Yay!

Got a hangar, and moving in!
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&proj=7buPHH99v
Old 11-30-2022, 05:03 AM

Default Europe?

Nice! Now what about Europe??

RV-10 (Test Phase)
Build Log
Old 11-30-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
Garmin is pleased to announce new cost-saving US (United States) VFR database subscriptions for the G3X and G3X Touch flight displays! This includes a new no-cost US VFR Basic Database Bundle for G3X/G3XT users.

Brad
Brad,
What is in the free VFR database?
Sectionals? Airport diagrams? Ground obstacles?

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. óMARK TWAIN

Last edited by plehrke : 11-30-2022 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrke View Post
Brad,
See post #1

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 11-30-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draker View Post
Are these limited-time sales, or long-term price/product changes?
These are not limited time, but are planned to be ongoing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supik View Post
Nice! Now what about Europe??
Free VFR database plans are not currently planned for outside of the US. Our team will continue to reevaluate offerings to tailor to more specific customer bases. As a reminder, single database updates are available to receive what you need without having to purchase a total 'package' or bundle at lower costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrke View Post
Brad,
As mentioned in post #1, the free US VFR package includes databases for Terrain, Obstacles, and Airport Information (frequencies, runways, geographical information, etc). This keeps the Basemap updated with relevant information for simple VFR needs.

B/R,

Brad
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.

Last edited by g3xpert : 11-30-2022 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
These are not limited time, but are planned to be ongoing.

Free VFR database plans are not currently planned for outside of the US, as they are highly dependent on royalty fees paid for the participating country's aeronautical data. The database group in partnership with Aero Nav Data is re-evaluating several packages for international customers, which could possibly lead to more cost-effective VFR only options. As a reminder, single database updates are available to receive what you need without having to purchase a total 'package' or bundle at lower costs.

As mentioned in post #1, the free US VFR package includes databases for Terrain, Obstacles, and Airport Information (frequencies, runways, geographical information, etc). This keeps the Basemap updated with relevant information for simple VFR needs.

B/R,

Brad

Looking for a little guidance on terminology here. Want to use this new free version. I am assuming that I still get the nice pretty color map on the MFD but want to be sure that this free DB still gives me the airport symbols on that map and the other basic stuff that I use to navigate VFR. I believe that I am seeing something on the G3X that is not really a sectional, like I see on foreflight, but don't really know. Just want to be sure that I can do basic stuff with this and also curious what is going to go away once I install the first DB update over what I have now. The airport data is obvioius to me, but maybe you could explain what the sectional data offers from the paid subscription.

Larry
Old 11-30-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
Looking for a little guidance on terminology here. Want to use this new free version. I am assuming that I still get the nice pretty color map on the MFD but want to be sure that this free DB still gives me the airport symbols on that map and the other basic stuff that I use to navigate VFR. I believe that I am seeing something on the G3X that is not really a sectional, like I see on foreflight, but don't really know. Just want to be sure that I can do basic stuff with this and also curious what is going to go away once I install the first DB update over what I have now. The airport data is obvioius to me, but maybe you could explain what the sectional data offers from the paid subscription.

Larry
Hi Larry,

Yes - the pretty color map is what we refer to as the 'BaseMap'. This will be updated with terrain and obstacle information in this update. You will also have the US Navigation data, which includes the airport information/symbols and relevant information for those airports.

The US VFR Sectional option is included in the VFR Plus Package ($49.99/yr), which will bring up the digital version of US VFR Sectional Chart/Mapm SafeTaxi Charts (airport environment diagram), and the Airport Facilities/Directory.

Last edited by g3xpert : 11-30-2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

Yes - the pretty color map is what we refer to as the 'BaseMap'. This will be updated with terrain and obstacle information in this update. You will also have the US Navigation data, which includes the airport information/symbols and relevant information for those airports.

The US VFR Sectional option is included in the VFR Plus Package ($49.99/yr), which will bring up the digital version of US VFR Sectional Chart/Mapm SafeTaxi Charts (airport environment diagram), and the Airport Facilities/Directory.
Thanks! +++++