Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 11-27-2022, 05:39 PM

Default Garmin 430 chips

If flying IFR does the terrain chip need o be current? The Nav chip is current, does the terrain chip need to be current? Am I correct the primary chip is the nav chip and the second chip is referred to as the terrain chip? Ward Combs RV 4, N234WC. Blair, Nebraska (BTA)
Old 11-27-2022, 06:03 PM

You are correct, terrain chip is not required. If following ifr rules you shouldn’t need it!
The nav data is on the left card, as seen from the seat.
Old 11-27-2022, 06:39 PM

What Bob said.

I updated the terrain/obstacle since the 430W was new to me but in the future that update is going to be few and far between. Just Nav
Old 11-30-2022, 12:23 AM

FWIW, I have the full subscription to North America databases...nav, obs and terrain. IIRC, it's Worldwide Terrain data, and it almost *never* changes (think about it ). I think the last update was a couple of years ago.

ETA: left card is nav, right card is terrain/obstacle data.

Last edited by RV7A Flyer : 11-30-2022 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
FWIW, I have the full subscription to North America databases...nav, obs and terrain. IIRC, it's Worldwide Terrain data, and it almost *never* changes (think about it ). I think the last update was a couple of years ago.

ETA: left card is nav, right card is terrain/obstacle data.
Unfortunately Terrain data does change. A newly built antenna can ruin your day.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfish View Post
Unfortunately Terrain data does change. A newly built antenna can ruin your day.
You may want to make sure to understand the difference between the terrain database and the obstacle database.

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not those of my employer.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburch View Post
You may want to make sure to understand the difference between the terrain database and the obstacle database.
What he said.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:05 PM

My G430 (non WAAS) doesn’t have a terrain card (slot but no card), just a NAV data card in the other slot. For terrain/obstacle data I use the GRT navigation data displayed on the EFIS units. The 28 day data updates cover changes to obstacles that have changed such as windmills and towers, etc.
Jim Harris, 2008 RV7A, 2nd owner, N523RM (2015) Superior XPIO-360 B1AA2, MT9 CS prop, Two PMags, Dual GRT Horizon EX with ARINC, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto level & trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to EX, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT, Mountain High O2, CO2 monitor, Custom Interior, TS Flightline hoses, ETX900 Battery, Bruce Cover

Retired - Living the dream - going broke!
Old 11-30-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankerpilot75 View Post
My G430 (non WAAS) doesn’t have a terrain card (slot but no card), just a NAV data card in the other slot. For terrain/obstacle data I use the GRT navigation data displayed on the EFIS units. The 28 day data updates cover changes to obstacles that have changed such as windmills and towers, etc.
It's true that you could use an EFIS database for terrain and obstacles instead of something like a GNS-XXX or whatever. I just like complete datasets for everything (kinda OCD, I guess).

But I'll bet that the obstacle database even on an EFIS like GRT, Dynon, etc., is really just repackaged FAA obstacle data, which is released every 56 days. Still, you are correct...you don't need both the EFIS and the GNS to have the data.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV7A Flyer View Post
It's true that you could use an EFIS database for terrain and obstacles instead of something like a GNS-XXX or whatever. I just like complete datasets for everything (kinda OCD, I guess).

But I'll bet that the obstacle database even on an EFIS like GRT, Dynon, etc., is really just repackaged FAA obstacle data, which is released every 56 days. Still, you are correct...you don't need both the EFIS and the GNS to have the data.
We’re all OCD! I guess that comes with our pilot license.

Since I have EFIS map data on my lower EFIS and PFD information on the top EFIS it just makes sense that terrain and obstacles displayed (including synthetic vision data) displayed on the lower EFIS becomes my primary source for that data. The screens on the older 430s don’t really have the resolution my old eyes need fo that type of detail. And you’re right, the GRT navigation data is repackaged FAA data - but it’s free through GRT. Jeppesen and Garmin also get their data from the FAA but charge for their system updates.

Fly safe.
Jim Harris, 2008 RV7A, 2nd owner, N523RM (2015) Superior XPIO-360 B1AA2, MT9 CS prop, Two PMags, Dual GRT Horizon EX with ARINC, EIS, Garmin 340, 335 w/WAAS gps, Dual 430s (non-WAAS), TruTrak 385 A/P with auto level & trim, Tosten 6 button Military Grips, FlightBox wired to EX, Dynon D10A w/battery backup, 406 MHz ELT, Mountain High O2, CO2 monitor, Custom Interior, TS Flightline hoses, ETX900 Battery, Bruce Cover

Retired - Living the dream - going broke!