VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

-POSTING RULES
-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.






VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

  #11  
Old 11-27-2022, 07:45 PM
dmattmul's Avatar
dmattmul dmattmul is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 564
Default +1

I do have the quick drain show in post above and highly recommend.
__________________
RV-14A QB builds (2017), Lycoming 390 Thunderbolt arrived July 2019, Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 300-72, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, Parts became real airplane 8/15/2020. Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade HRT 378, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, real airplane hopefully early-mid 2024. Paid subscriber
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2022, 01:51 PM
agent4573 agent4573 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mountain view
Posts: 684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCFI View Post
I went to change the oil in my RV-4 O-320 E2D today and after warming it up and pulling the cowl I didnít have an appropriate tool to remove the 1/2Ē square oil plug.

This would be the first time Iíve changed the oil myself so was caught a bit empty handed.

Is there a socket available for that? Or is it usually done with a 1/2Ē open ended wrench? I didnít have that in the hangar either.
Mine takes a 9/16" open ended wrench. If you don't keep a set at the hanger, be sure to bring both sizes. Also, with the appropriate sealant, there doesn't need to be a crazy amount of torque on that plug. Due to the exhaust placement, I can't fit a quick drain plug, so I've resigned myself to removing and installing that plug 40-50 times before the engine goes in for overhaul. I'm hoping the threads last that long.
__________________
www.rv7build.com - out of date, will be updated soon
N69ER - built and flying - 2022 Bronze Lindy
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-28-2022, 05:45 PM
RV8JD's Avatar
RV8JD RV8JD is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
Due to the exhaust placement, I can't fit a quick drain plug, so I've resigned myself to removing and installing that plug 40-50 times before the engine goes in for overhaul. I'm hoping the threads last that long.
The builder of my airplane (with an IO-360-M1B) replaced the oil drain plug with this fitting:

AN816-10D NIPPLE - FLARED TUBE AND PIPE THREAD
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=8366273
and cap:

AN929-10 FLARED CAP ASSEMBLY # 10 ALUMINUM
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=8497184
Just remove the cap to drain the oil. Will save the oil sump drain plug threads. A buddy saw my setup and installed those components to his engine too.

I tried to fit a Fumoto quick drain, but the intake pipe was in the way so couldn't do it.
__________________
Carl N.
RV-8
KAWO

Last edited by RV8JD : 11-28-2022 at 06:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-29-2022, 03:53 AM
GregMac GregMac is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Albany Western Australia
Posts: 83
Default

Take any two half inch drive sockets, weld em together (just rod welding is Ok) then you can use you socket ratchet or extensions etc
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-29-2022, 10:17 AM
agent4573 agent4573 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mountain view
Posts: 684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
The builder of my airplane (with an IO-360-M1B) replaced the oil drain plug with this fitting:

AN816-10D NIPPLE - FLARED TUBE AND PIPE THREAD
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=8366273
and cap:

AN929-10 FLARED CAP ASSEMBLY # 10 ALUMINUM
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ickkey=8497184
Just remove the cap to drain the oil. Will save the oil sump drain plug threads. A buddy saw my setup and installed those components to his engine too.

I tried to fit a Fumoto quick drain, but the intake pipe was in the way so couldn't do it.
That's a pretty good idea. I'll get a steel one on order and see if it fits during the next oil change. It's way too close to the exhaust for me to feel comfortable putting an aluminum fitting there.
__________________
www.rv7build.com - out of date, will be updated soon
N69ER - built and flying - 2022 Bronze Lindy
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-29-2022, 12:36 PM
RV8JD's Avatar
RV8JD RV8JD is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
That's a pretty good idea. I'll get a steel one on order and see if it fits during the next oil change. It's way too close to the exhaust for me to feel comfortable putting an aluminum fitting there.
FWIW, I have the AL fitting and cap and it's worked well for 1280 hours so far. No signs of any heat damage with the IO-360-M1B.

I have a loop of safety wire wrapped around the cap, as seen in the pic below. It takes many turns of the cap before any oil begins to leak out. I've always found the cap tight when removing it for oil changes. Use two wrenches when removing the cap, one to hold the fitting and one to remove the cap.

__________________
Carl N.
RV-8
KAWO

Last edited by RV8JD : 11-29-2022 at 12:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-29-2022, 12:45 PM
agent4573 agent4573 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mountain view
Posts: 684
Default

Pic shows what I'm working with. The half-raven return is too close as well, but I was able to fit a heat shield in there so there's some comfort level there. The other drain dumps basically onto the exhaust. I'll do some test fitting during the next oil change and see if it's worth pursuing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20211109_041320960.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	34416  
__________________
www.rv7build.com - out of date, will be updated soon
N69ER - built and flying - 2022 Bronze Lindy
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-29-2022, 01:06 PM
rockwoodrv9 rockwoodrv9 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Meridian ID, Aspen CO, Okemos MI
Posts: 3,267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent4573 View Post
Pic shows what I'm working with. The half-raven return is too close as well, but I was able to fit a heat shield in there so there's some comfort level there. The other drain dumps basically onto the exhaust. I'll do some test fitting during the next oil change and see if it's worth pursuing.
After looking at your picture, you probably have a nice smoke system after each oil change for a few minutes.

Thats tough to make work. I would suggest putting an elbow on to move it outside the exhaust but it looks pretty tight to be able to spin the elbow on. I know there are some pretty small brass fittings that may work but may be more trouble than it is worth. Good luck.
__________________
rockwoodrv9a
Williamston MI
O-320 D2A
Flying N376E
2023
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-30-2022, 12:51 AM
OKAV8r OKAV8r is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 292
Default

similar conflict on my 4 pipe exhaust. I replaced the plug with a 45 deg street-ell, then was able to put a quick drain into that.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-30-2022, 01:43 AM
agent4573 agent4573 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Mountain view
Posts: 684
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKAV8r View Post
similar conflict on my 4 pipe exhaust. I replaced the plug with a 45 deg street-ell, then was able to put a quick drain into that.
I tried putting a 90 degree elbow in when I first noticed the quick drain wouldn't fit, only downside is I have to drop the exhaust to install it. Maybe at annual.
__________________
www.rv7build.com - out of date, will be updated soon
N69ER - built and flying - 2022 Bronze Lindy

Last edited by agent4573 : 11-30-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:39 AM.


The VAFForums come to you courtesy Delta Romeo, LLC. By viewing and participating in them you agree to build your plane using standardized methods and practices and to fly it safely and in accordance with the laws governing the country you are located in.