Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 11-27-2022, 01:15 PM

Default Oil change question

I went to change the oil in my RV-4 O-320 E2D today and after warming it up and pulling the cowl I didnít have an appropriate tool to remove the 1/2Ē square oil plug.

This would be the first time Iíve changed the oil myself so was caught a bit empty handed.

Is there a socket available for that? Or is it usually done with a 1/2Ē open ended wrench? I didnít have that in the hangar either.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:48 PM

I've never needed a wrench to drain the oil on an airplane. Does the plane have a quick drain similar to the one pictured below? All the planes I've been involved with in the last 15 years had one installed at some point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quick drain valve.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	34304

I'm sure a more knowledgeable VAFer will be along to assist further any minute now.
Old 11-27-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCFI View Post
I went to change the oil in my RV-4 O-320 E2D today and after warming it up and pulling the cowl I didnít have an appropriate tool to remove the 1/2Ē square oil plug.

This would be the first time Iíve changed the oil myself so was caught a bit empty handed.

Is there a socket available for that? Or is it usually done with a 1/2Ē open ended wrench? I didnít have that in the hangar either.
Open ended wrench will work fine. NO adjustable wrench please.
I do have the quick drain show in post above and highly recommend.

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. óMARK TWAIN
Old 11-27-2022, 02:05 PM

Yes, you can buy an 8 point socket for square heads. Most socket sets will come with a few of those in standard sizes.

I agree with others that replacing with a quickdrain is the way to go. Especially since they will have a hose connection and you can contain the flow of the old oil into the drain pan. Check out the Fumoto quick drains (search here on VAF for other threads). High quality, and less expensive than the aviation versions.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and Flying Over the Hills Blog
2022 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor, Pre Buys, Build assistance - canopy/tanks/fiberglass/electrical/repairs
Old 11-27-2022, 02:16 PM

Thanks.

Iíll take my open ended wrenches to the airport next time.

I do have one of the Safeair P5000 quick drains to install. But I couldnít get the existing plug out so was stuck there.

I thought for sure I would have something already at the hangar but the 4 point plug threw me off. I just assumed I would be able to engineer something with all the swivels and adapters I had, but that was a no.

Thanks very much for all the replies.
Old 11-27-2022, 03:41 PM

If you have a 12 point socket set you should be able to remove a square plug. Most sockets for DIY are 6-point so they won't work. I highly recommend a socket over an open-end wrench.

-Marc
Plus extra donation for someone who didn't
Old 11-27-2022, 03:52 PM

Pipe wrench, channel locks, or crescent wrench will easily remove a square plug. If you pay attention the chance of rounding the edge of the plug is very small.
Flying N376E
Old 11-27-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Relic View Post
I've never needed a wrench to drain the oil on an airplane. Does the plane have a quick drain similar to the one pictured below? All the planes I've been involved with in the last 15 years had one installed at some point.

Attachment 34304

I'm sure a more knowledgeable VAFer will be along to assist further any minute now.
This! It makes oil changes super easy. I have a hose I attach it to letting it drain into a 2.5 gal collection can from autozone. Easy to take oil samples mid stream with this device too.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
Check out the Fumoto quick drains (search here on VAF for other threads). High quality, and less expensive than the aviation versions.
I have my Fumoto ready to go on. But my engine is pickled and is now filled with 12 quarts of pepboys oil. So I need to remove the square plug with 12 quarts behind it. Gonna be fun the first time.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2023, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
To Go: wing mounting, engine baffles, wing tips, move to airport
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 11-27-2022, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit View Post
If you have a 12 point socket set you should be able to remove a square plug. Most sockets for DIY are 6-point so they won't work. I highly recommend a socket over an open-end wrench.

-Marc
I was this many days old when I learned this. Much appreciated.

I actually think I have multiple sets of 12 points but I usually shy away from using them to avoid rounding off so I never even tried them.

I only need to get the plug out once so I think Iíll try this next.

Again, thanks for all the tips.