What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SAM JAMES RV4 wing root fairings

Stewbronco

Well Known Member
Hi ....anyone have any pictures or real world experience with the Sam James RV4 wing root fairings ? Not much on their web site. Thanks. Stew

I like the look

I have seen a couple on RV-4s long ago, and personally think they look great, however the aerodynamic guys will tell you the simple rubber gap seal is more efficient and the SJ is more draggy..I still like the look! Almost put them on mine but couldn't find a set at the time. I just did the per plans finish kit ones.

Sam James Fairings....

I have them on SuzieQ (RV-4) and really like them. I like the look as it makes the wing look faired into the fuselage. As I recall, they fit well out of the box with a few modifications. More draggy? Who knows. There has been talk about just the rubber strip being, of course, easier and accomplishing the same thing. But I like mine..........

Attachments

• img706ac4.jpg
    img706ac4.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 204
  • img669ac.gif
    img669ac.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 192
Many thanks

Could be more draggy…I know that DAVE ANDERS doesn’t have these …but there is a pretty solid RENO racer with similar and there is an old article about a father/ son that competed with a moderately modded RV4 in aerobatic competition and their take was it bled less speed in a pull up ….got a reply from SAM JAMES and I think I am going to get a set
Many thanks for responding

Sam James Wing Root Fairings

195E64AD-225C-4EAE-96E4-B8A5874458BF.jpg

19C5CB0D-43B6-46D6-AC78-A63A37FB0E29.jpg

244A387F-0BC9-4C27-840F-40170AD354A6.jpg

I have the Sam James root fairings on my RV4. I do not know if they affect my top speed. I like the way they look so it does not matter. Be aware that the fairings do not come as one piece. You have to fit them, bond the pieces together, and do a lot of filling to get a good fit.

Last edited:
Many thanks

I agree I like the look also ….thanks for the “ heads up “ but I did get a picture of the kit from company and no problem on the work involved.

But, Is There an Aero Need?

The wingroot fairings look cool, I agree. Kinda like a P-40. Usually, if the intersection between the wing (or stabilizer, or gear leg, or whatever) is at or near a 90 degree angle, there’s no need for fillets, and in fact, the extra frontal area might cause more harm than good. If you’re a bit ambitious, you could tuft the top of the wing and the side of the fuselage, fly and photograph. Mount a camera on the back end of the fuselage by the empennage and see if the airflow is tidy around there. Unless you just like the looks, of course.

A Van’s employee tried some on his RV-4 many years ago by temporarily taping them on. The airplane had already flow with standard fairings for a few years and speed performance was well known. The airplane was slower with the custom fairings so they were removed an sent back to the seller.
This was about 25 years ago so probably not S J, but don’t know.

Steve Smith

I would love to hear from STEVE SMITH on this as I am pretty sure he is involved in a tapered composite wing going on a big engine RV6 RENO racer and I have seen pictures of the fairing trailing edge and it looks like this I think . Advanced apologies if I am wrong and of course I realize MANY variables involved in design …….as I said earlier old article on modded RV4 that owners felt the airspeed loss on a pull up was less ….but happy to be educated….entire purpose of the OP ….BUT I still like the look

Answer to couple of posts above …$485 plus shipping I think but again apologies if I am incorrect

Last edited:
Back