Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 11-22-2022, 05:34 PM

Iíve been running dual PC-625 batteries in all three RV projects, the first is over 20 now. I get more than six years of service (the pulled batteries go on to the various neighbors tractors). I never use a batteries minder/tender/trickle charger. The 625 has a little more CCA and AMP-Hrs than the 680 and is a little lighter. You do however need to modify the battery mount.

For the RV-10 two fit very well into the stock mount with slight modifications.

Carl
Old 11-22-2022, 06:20 PM

Walmart online is selling the red top for $127 manufactured June 2022...

Seem to work ok in my plane.

OP what was the date on your batteries that failed (from Vans)?

- Been there, Donated 2023
Old 11-22-2022, 06:27 PM

It has been a while since I dug into it, but my understanding is the only difference between the black and red PC680 is the steel jacket. The steel jacket allows a higher internal temperature before the case cracks (plastic is not as strong as steel). The vent in the battery is set at a specific pressure. As a result, the plastic battery will vent at a lower pressure, hence a lower temperature, than the steel case version, therefore lower temp rating for the plastic. If you take the steel case off of the PC680MJ, the vent will hold a higher pressure, but the car may crack rather than the vent working, not an advisable thing to do. Electrically, they are the same.

Tim
Old 11-22-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcalvert View Post
Walmart online is selling the red top for $127 manufactured June 2022...

Seem to work ok in my plane.

OP what was the date on your batteries that failed (from Vans)?
On walmart.com, I see the PC680 for $126, but they also have one for $181. The specs look identical. Which one is better?
Old 11-22-2022, 08:11 PM

Default Fullriver FT230

After doing some digging on VAF and elsewhere, I just replaced my ailing, less than 2 year old PC-680 with a Fullriver FT230 AGM. My experience with the PC-680 is similar to others who have posted here - the older ones seemed almost bulletproof, the newer ones not so much.

I can report that the FT230 fits perfectly in the metal battery box on my -7. It is rated at 20AH/230CCA which is more than the 16AH/170CCA of the current PC-680. It's not cheap - basically $149 depending upon where you buy it. Not that much different than the Odyssey.

So far so good. We will see if it will go the distance.
First Flight July 26th, 2014
927 hours and counting . . . .
34 Pilots N Paws Flights
Based at Moontown (3M5)
Old 11-22-2022, 08:33 PM

Iíve been using the SBS J16 for quite some time, no issues, from my research I think itís a bit better than the 680.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 11-23-2022, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt View Post
Iíve been using the SBS J16 for quite some time, no issues, from my research I think itís a bit better than the 680.
Is the SBS J16 also an Odyssey battery made by EnerSys? At aircraft spruce it is called PowerSafe but listed under Odyssey. Looks like it is the same as a PC680 but FAA PMA?

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact. óMARK TWAIN
Old 11-23-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plehrke View Post
Is the SBS J16 also an Odyssey battery made by EnerSys? At aircraft spruce it is called PowerSafe but listed under Odyssey. Looks like it is the same as a PC680 but FAA PMA?
Yes. They are the same basic battery but the SBS J16 must comply with the inspection requirements set forth by its FAA approval. That would imply more stringent tolerances than the PC 680. But that may not be true if both models come off the same factory line with quality assurance standards that exceed the FAA requirements. If so you would be paying the extra $50 for a different label on the same battery. I can't say for sure. However, the price of the PC 680 has stabilized over the years and even dropped a little while the SBS has risen a little (used to be a $20 spread). I know of an example of product that exceed FAA certification requirements are modern seat belts which must comply with federal motor vehicle requirements that are much higher. The antiquated FAA seat restaint standards have been eclipsed. So maybe the same thing with the Odyssey / Powesafe batteries.
Old 11-23-2022, 09:18 AM

Default FAA PMA

Also, I think the FAA PMA certification means they can not change assembly location either. So if the original battery was certified for production in USA, then that battery manufacturing cannot be moved to Mexico, or another place overseas.

So I am confident that if the FAA PMA version holds up well, it will always be that way in the future. For Walmart batteries, those manufactures can decide tomorrow to move the line somewhere else and the consumer would never know unless the reliability starts to waiver.

So the question is, are the FAA PMA batteries suffering the same reliability issues?

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2023, worth every penny

RV9A- Status:
98% done, 2% left to go
To Go: wing mounting, engine baffles, wing tips, move to airport
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com
Old 11-23-2022, 01:27 PM

Default Giving SBS-J16 a try

I just removed a PC-680 that I installed 8 months ago and replaced it with SBS-J16.

I have been losing faith in the PC-680 over the last couple of months. I usually fly at least once a week and I had 2 occurrences were the battery did not have enough charge to start the engine.

On one occasion, the engine would barely turn over. When I connected my Odyssey charger to battery, the charger detected an issue and would not go into charge mode. Eventually, I got the battery to take a charge and it was working fine until last week.

The second occasion was last week. The battery turned the engine over but not very fast. It didn't take much to run the battery down and I wasn't able to start the engine. That's when I ordered the SBS-J16.

I installed the new battery today and the engine started right away. I could tell from the get go that it was turning the engine faster than the PC-680 at full charge.

I had one other anomaly a couple of months ago. I was out doing a local flight and about 30 minutes into the flight the Voltage went to about 15.9 V for a couple of minutes before coming back down to my normal 14.6v steady state. I had the same thing happen a second time before I landed. I discussed this with my avionics guru brother and he thought a battery cell might be starting to go bad.

Hopefully, I will get better service out of the new battery
Jacksonville, FL