What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

F-705G Angle on RV7/9 Tip-up

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Not having a canopy latch in-hand, I don't know how much forgiveness there is in the canopy latch slot in the F-705G angle. I found I didn't have any files small enough to work on the slot, and long story short, it's not some of my best work. I have an egg vs a slot. How exact of a match do these need to be to the pre-punched latch slots in the bulkhead? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to take a mulligan on this particular hole and try again. Is it the length that's the important dimension?

What's the best way to tackle a slot like this in thick material? I assume drill a hole on either end, but what's the best way to not make a mess of taking out the material in between? Just a jeweler's file and a whole lot of patience? The jeweler's files I've tried in the past have not been all that great at handling this thick material.

Attachments

• 20221021_145340.jpg
    20221021_145340.jpg
    684.1 KB · Views: 119
Not having a canopy latch in-hand, I don't know how much forgiveness there is in the canopy latch slot in the F-705G angle. I found I didn't have any files small enough to work on the slot, and long story short, it's not some of my best work. I have an egg vs a slot. How exact of a match do these need to be to the pre-punched latch slots in the bulkhead? I'm just trying to figure out if I need to take a mulligan on this particular hole and try again. Is it the length that's the important dimension?

What's the best way to tackle a slot like this in thick material? I assume drill a hole on either end, but what's the best way to not make a mess of taking out the material in between? Just a jeweler's file and a whole lot of patience? The jeweler's files I've tried in the past have not been all that great at handling this thick material.

A chainsaw file, the smallest diameter 5/32", is useful for a slot like that. The jeweler's files are a bit smaller but have finer teeth so can be a bit slow going and harder to control.

Sorry I don't know about the match of that particular part.

A chainsaw file, the smallest diameter 5/32", is useful for a slot like that. The jeweler's files are a bit smaller but have finer teeth so can be a bit slow going and harder to control.

Sorry I don't know about the match of that particular part.

A chainsaw file, of course! You know what's really embarrassing? I have 4 or 5 chainsaw files, and literally just sharpened my chainsaw two days ago. How did it never even cross my mind to grab one of those?! They don't live anywhere near my "aircraft tools" so completely out of sight, out of mind.

The elongated hole here is just to clear the metal fingers on the tip up latch mechanism. The latch fingers engage with the metal latches that are bolted on the canopy. The fingers extend too far past the latches, so this elongated hole is there to provide relief. Bottom line, the shape of the hole isn't terribly important.

i-NH8M6LL-M.jpg

Vans has clever design reasons . . . .

The elongated hole here is just to clear the metal fingers on the tip up latch mechanism. The latch fingers engage with the metal latches that are bolted on the canopy. The fingers extend too far past the latches, so this elongated hole is there to provide relief. Bottom line, the shape of the hole isn't terribly important.

i-NH8M6LL-M.jpg

I know Bruce did not mean it this way, but Be Careful builders; "too far" implies it can be cut off -don't do that, there is a lot of upward force on that latch when flying. The finger penetration into the hole just allows a backup to carry the force into the structure so it can not lift off. The latch has a depression rather than just an arc so once closed, loading will keep it that way.
There is a roller on the latch for a reason. :)

Back