What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thank You for "Smoke on"

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I was out in Prescott, AZ last weekend (and the weekend before) for some TW training flying a Cessna 140. We were one of multiple aircraft in the pattern (as you can imagine with all the Embry Riddle traffic), somewhere on extended downwind, and tower instructed us to follow a two-ship of RVs turning inbound for an extended final.

We could not locate them because they were fast, well below us, and hidden by a background of terrain. One of the RV's turned on its smoke for just a split second and instantly we located them.

Just a blip of smoke was all it took to locate them. That was awesome!

Thanks!
Ryan

I have used smoke more than once to help other pilots locate me. It surely is a safety feature for sure.

I have used smoke more than once to help other pilots locate me. It surely is a safety feature for sure.

I would like to know more about your smoke system. I have a 9A and the thought of smoke to show where I was sounds great. It may even give me confidence to fly into OSH!

I pieced mine together myself using components from smoke system helper. Built my own tank. If you want an all in 1 solution that is the place to go.

Tank behind passenger seat, honestly takes up almost zero room when not being used, but honestly since I do a lot of formation flying it gets used 75% of all the flights.

Our airport goes thru a bunch, so we order it 4 55 gallon drums at a time. But that is feeding 12 RV's burning smoke weekly at times.

We have also used concrete form release oil with almost identical results in a pinch. Cost is about the same.

Smoke ‘Em if Ya Got ‘Em

I installed a smoke system on one of my aerobatic customer’s planes just so he could turn it in from time to time while practicing in the aerobatic area near the home drome. This was some time ago but we used Tellus oil, a release oil for wooden cement forms. Bought it at the local industrial petroleum supplier, 55 gallons at a time.

I use my smoke system all the time to spotted on non tower airport. great safety feature.
I buy by the barrel at aviationoil.com you get free shipping. can't beat that.

Back