What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightweight tailwheel - replacement bearings?

jbDC9

Well Known Member
Hey all,

I have the lightweight tailwheel on my -8, installed years ago with many hundreds of trouble free hours on it, until yesterday… I discovered that one of the bearings is gone. As in, not just failed and popped out, but disintegrated and disappeared! I need 2 new bearings plus two of the skinny little washers. Or are they retaining clips?

I’ve seen numerous threads regarding bearing replacements for the old Vans shopping cart wheel, but not much discussion for the lightweight (faster!) wheel. I’ve emailed Blake at Flyboy Accessories, but thought I’d also check here for any replacement ideas or vendors… any ideas?

Thanks!
John B

Last edited:
Oh Gosh

You should be able to read a part number on the remaining bearing. Usually it’s on the face of the inner ring, and you might need a magnifying glass. Once you have a Fafnir number or Timken or whoever’s number you can just about always find one by googling or going to a bearing dealer. Or maybe Flyboys would be willing to share the part number? Try not to be tempted by substitutes. Name brand bearings are often more expensive than the Chinese substitute, noticeably better quality and worth the extra $.

I got mine from Amazon.. I think a 10 pack was about 15 bucks.. ypu can either read the number off another bearing, or measure the diameter and thickness..

Well... duh.

The Flyboys website has the bearings in stock, I just didn't look hard enough to find them. My bad! Blake to the rescue, new bearings ordered!

That was easy...
JB

Back