Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 05-09-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyolson View Post
I have a GTN 650, an AFS 5500 touchscreen EFIS and a Dynon autopilot control panel.

The current method of activating a missed approach has too many button pushes. I have to execute the Go Around on the GTN 650 for lateral tracking guidance to the MAP but ALSO engaging a vertical mode with the autopilot.

Is there a way to have ONE BUTTON to execute a Go Around then just add power like Garmin does? The Dynon HDX Manual talks about it but not a lot of specifics on how to install it or wire it.
Doesn't pressing the "up" button the Dynon AP panel do this? It does for my SkyView/IFD540 panel; no extra switch needed. Does the AFD display not provide for that?
Old 05-10-2022, 08:18 AM

Oly you want the GA button to engage the FD GA mode **AND** sequence to the published GA nav mode?!?? How many times in your 15k+ hrs of flight time have you heard the words "fly the published missed"?? Now get off the forum and get back to fixing that oil cooler!!

-Fitz
Old 05-10-2022, 09:23 AM

I've got a Go Around button wired for my Dynon HDX, in a convenient location at the base of the throttle where I can engage it simultaneous with applying power. I don't have it wired to my GPS175.

The Dynon go around button reverts to TRK mode on the current track - so it disengages NAV mode. If I want to use the GPS missed approach guidance, I need to activate the missed approach on the GPS and then press NAV on my autopilot panel.

I don't fully understand the Garmin GA button logic, if all it does is activate the missed approach navigation procedure, that option doesn't present until the missed approach point (MAP). In Canada at least, the MAP is usually the runway threshold, this is not the same point that I'd be initiating a go around as far as power and autopilot modes are concerned. That implies that a single button for both Dynon and Garmin might not be ideal.

The other thing I've found in my limited number of controlled approaches is that I often was given something other than the published missed. In those cases I wouldn't want the GPS guidance, another reason to not combine the buttons.

Just my thoughts based on my experience during IFR training. I don't have my rating yet and I don't have any IFR experience outside of my own airplane.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 05-10-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
I don't fully understand the Garmin GA button logic, if all it does is activate the missed approach navigation procedure, that option doesn't present until the missed approach point (MAP). …….

The other thing I've found in my limited number of controlled approaches is that I often was given something other than the published missed. In those cases I wouldn't want the GPS guidance, another reason to not combine the buttons.
Claude: I’m not at all certain about this, but I *think* the one-button thing is specific to the GTN series (??). They have a ‘go-around’ function, which (1) continues to provide lateral guidance on the approach course (but abandons the glide slope) and (2) when reaching the MAP automatically transitions to the missed approach guidance. I have a 420W and I don’t think it will do this.
Obviously the box doesn’t know about unpublished instructions.

Last edited by BobTurner : 05-10-2022 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:53 PM

Default TO/GA Behavior

On an RNAV approach, when the TO/GA button is pressed, a discrete input on the GTN or GPS175/GNC355/GNX375 is activated which is essentially a remote switch to unsuspend the flight plan, and allow the navigator to sequence to the first leg of the missed approach procedure.

A discrete input on the G3X Touch is simultaneously activated which results in both the lateral and vertical Flight Director modes cycling to GA/GA, while demoting GPS to the armed lateral position. Laterally this means wings level, vertically, this commands +5 degrees pitch up (or whatever you have TO/GA Go-Around Pitch set to).

At the appropriate time, the system will automatically cycle the lateral mode from GA, to the armed GPS mode, to follow the missed approach procedure guidance. No need to manually re-arm the Flight Director to follow GPS navigation in this case. Vertically, the aircraft will remain in GA mode, commanding a +5 degree pitch up attitude, until the selected altitude is reached and ALT mode is engaged.

*Note - The missed approach altitude should be set on the altitude selector while descending on the glidepath.

If given alternate instructions by ATC, the pilot can change the Flight Director mode to the appropriate mode, or modify the flight plan to reflect the updated guidance.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 11-01-2022, 10:20 AM

Default TO/GA button specs and testing

Just wanted to check off on possible issues why I can't get my TOGA button to cooperate and wanted to check off on the basics. I've read what appears that if one uses the GEA 24 that is when you need a double pole switch? I'm working on a new panel and trying to spec the switch and would like to clarify this. The panel builder seems to indicate a DPDT switch is needed (attached) but on the same drawing it appears the switch type used is not DPDT? My current panel the TOGA bottom appears to be wired to the GTN and AP and not the GEA so maybe not needed.

As a side question I've tried to verify the TOGA button is working or wired correctly. Can this be tested on the ground? I can make a RNAV (GPS) procedure fine and it flies very nicely down the glide slope but at the DA and push of the TOGA button nothing happens. The pitch up setting is set at 5 degrees in the flight director so that does not seem to be an issue. Any help?

Thanks again to all, great site for builders,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPEC FOR TOGA BUT.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	33094  Click image for larger version

Name:	aP IRE 5.png
Views:	19
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	33095  Click image for larger version

Name:	sTEINSWITCH WIRUNG.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	33096  Click image for larger version

Name:	aP IRE.png
Views:	20
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	33097  
RV-14A QB builds (2017), Lycoming 390 Thunderbolt arrived July 2019, Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 300-72, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, Parts became real airplane 8/15/2020. Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade HRT 378, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, real airplane hopefully early-mid 2024. Paid subscriber
Old 11-01-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
As a side question I've tried to verify the TOGA button is working or wired correctly. Can this be tested on the ground?
Assuming your TO/GA button is wired to your GMC 507 as shown in your drawings... go to config mode, hilight the GMC 507, and see what it says next to "TO/GA Input".

Any opinions expressed in this message are my own and not those of my employer.
Old 11-01-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattmul View Post
Just wanted to check off on possible issues why I can't get my TOGA button to cooperate and wanted to check off on the basics. I've read what appears that if one uses the GEA 24 that is when you need a double pole switch? I'm working on a new panel and trying to spec the switch and would like to clarify this. The panel builder seems to indicate a DPDT switch is needed (attached) but on the same drawing it appears the switch type used is not DPDT? My current panel the TOGA bottom appears to be wired to the GTN and AP and not the GEA so maybe not needed.

As a side question I've tried to verify the TOGA button is working or wired correctly. Can this be tested on the ground? I can make a RNAV (GPS) procedure fine and it flies very nicely down the glide slope but at the DA and push of the TOGA button nothing happens. The pitch up setting is set at 5 degrees in the flight director so that does not seem to be an issue. Any help?

Thanks again to all, great site for builders,
Yes, you should see the FD pitch up when TO/GA is selected. As an option, you can use a single switch with steering diodes to "Tee" all the TOGA inputs into a single "ground" switch.
G3X system? The G3X manual shows the wiring for various configurations. Just search on TO/GA.

N164WM RV-6A Slider/O-360/FP Sold 4/2022
N184WM (RV-8) Flying. Titan IOX-370/ CS/G3X
N184P reserved (RV-8QB) Empennage kit and QB wings in the shop
Old 11-01-2022, 11:35 AM

ďAssuming your TO/GA button is wired to your GMC 507 as shown in your drawings... go to config mode, hilight the GMC 507, and see what it says next to "TO/GA Input".

Configuration mode on the G3X panel?? Iím not at the airframe now but the Autopilot in the configuration mode I donít believe has that input designation ??
RV-14A QB builds (2017), Lycoming 390 Thunderbolt arrived July 2019, Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 300-72, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, Parts became real airplane 8/15/2020. Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade HRT 378, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, real airplane hopefully early-mid 2024. Paid subscriber
Old 11-01-2022, 12:36 PM

Default System information on the G3X Configuration Mode

Highlighting the GMC GMC 507 Device list shows TO/GA Input as Open/High. Not a clue if this is correct and canít find where to see options to change it to.