What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 430 chips

WardC1020

If flying IFR does the terrain chip need o be current? The Nav chip is current, does the terrain chip need to be current? Am I correct the primary chip is the nav chip and the second chip is referred to as the terrain chip? Ward Combs RV 4, N234WC. Blair, Nebraska (BTA)

You are correct, terrain chip is not required. If following ifr rules you shouldn’t need it!
The nav data is on the left card, as seen from the seat.

What Bob said.

I updated the terrain/obstacle since the 430W was new to me but in the future that update is going to be few and far between. Just Nav

FWIW, I have the full subscription to North America databases...nav, obs and terrain. IIRC, it's Worldwide Terrain data, and it almost *never* changes (think about it :)). I think the last update was a couple of years ago.

ETA: left card is nav, right card is terrain/obstacle data.

Last edited:
FWIW, I have the full subscription to North America databases...nav, obs and terrain. IIRC, it's Worldwide Terrain data, and it almost *never* changes (think about it :)). I think the last update was a couple of years ago.

ETA: left card is nav, right card is terrain/obstacle data.

Unfortunately Terrain data does change. A newly built antenna can ruin your day.

My G430 (non WAAS) doesn’t have a terrain card (slot but no card), just a NAV data card in the other slot. For terrain/obstacle data I use the GRT navigation data displayed on the EFIS units. The 28 day data updates cover changes to obstacles that have changed such as windmills and towers, etc.

My G430 (non WAAS) doesn’t have a terrain card (slot but no card), just a NAV data card in the other slot. For terrain/obstacle data I use the GRT navigation data displayed on the EFIS units. The 28 day data updates cover changes to obstacles that have changed such as windmills and towers, etc.

It's true that you could use an EFIS database for terrain and obstacles instead of something like a GNS-XXX or whatever. I just like complete datasets for everything (kinda OCD, I guess).

But I'll bet that the obstacle database even on an EFIS like GRT, Dynon, etc., is really just repackaged FAA obstacle data, which is released every 56 days. Still, you are correct...you don't need both the EFIS and the GNS to have the data.

It's true that you could use an EFIS database for terrain and obstacles instead of something like a GNS-XXX or whatever. I just like complete datasets for everything (kinda OCD, I guess).

But I'll bet that the obstacle database even on an EFIS like GRT, Dynon, etc., is really just repackaged FAA obstacle data, which is released every 56 days. Still, you are correct...you don't need both the EFIS and the GNS to have the data.

We’re all OCD! I guess that comes with our pilot license.

Since I have EFIS map data on my lower EFIS and PFD information on the top EFIS it just makes sense that terrain and obstacles displayed (including synthetic vision data) displayed on the lower EFIS becomes my primary source for that data. The screens on the older 430s don’t really have the resolution my old eyes need fo that type of detail. And you’re right, the GRT navigation data is repackaged FAA data - but it’s free through GRT. Jeppesen and Garmin also get their data from the FAA but charge for their system updates.

Fly safe.

Back