What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W728 Reinforcing Strip at Wing Tip with platenuts?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
I am about to finish the removable wingtip preparation. What is the consensus on the W-728 reinforcing strip if installing platenuts for a removable tip?

Drawing 17A shows a W-728 reinforcing strip on the inside of the wingtip flange to receive either permanently installed rivets, or rivets from platenuts on removable wingtips. The verbage on page 7-13 says the reinforcing strip is not necessary with platenuts and the removable tips.

Do I believe the words (no reinforcing strip) or the drawings (reinforcing strip either way)?

I did not use the strip on two RVs with anchornuts.
No issues.
Did us soft rivets on #2 to help prevent crushing the glass.

I rivet the nutplates to the reinforcement strip, than rivet the strip to the fiberglass flange between every second or third nut plate.
Worked fine for me, but any of the three methods would be fine.

Nutplates

The nutplates are pretty solid, but a strip would certainly help. It's easy to install a thin strip bonded with G-Flex.
I found it works for me to bond reinforcement strips before drilling for nutplates or countersinking for rivets.

I did the strip install with A rivets which worked well for me. The AD'S rivets are prone to crack thin fiberglass in my experience.

I used a strip on the -6. Rethought it and just riveted the nut plates directly to the tips on the -10. I don’t think the strip is necessary - it’s just extra work and weight.

Back