What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake lines

wirejock

Well Known Member
I see those with hard line brake lines make a loop at the wheel. Is that strain relief? Service loop?
Mine are Beringer braided lines. I planned and have enough extra for a nice service loop.
How do you attach the loop at the wheel end?

Larry- I don't think you need a big service loop wit flex lines. Looking at the design, I believe the loop in the hard lines exists because it has to be flexible enough to allow the caliper to slide in and out. It isn't attached to anything at the at the wheel end except the caliper for that same reason- everything just floats so that it can flex laterally.

I just installed braided lines from TS flightlines and they were long enough to leave a little slack at the caliper to achieve the same function, but not much more than that. There's a million ways to accomplish this depending on how you clock the fittings, but however you do it, taht caliper has to be free to slide back and forth on it's pins. The picture below is how I did mine.

FYI- I elected to go with flex lines in this location specifically because i didn't want to deal with that big ugly loop of hard line. I know it works, but it just seemed like a mickey mouse way to deal with the movement and abuse that goes on down there.

Attachments

• IMG_7642.jpg
    IMG_7642.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Loop

I did the hardline loop thing and it was easy to keep it all within the wheel pant/ intersection fairing.

I am hoping the soft aluminum hardline takes a set and doesnt push the caliper apart or make it drag. I trust the others who have gone before.

I havent put the wings on, so it is hard to get inside and bleed the brakes, so not sure how the brakes work yet.

Back