What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Landing light lens material differences

RV-Ogler

I finally got an acceptable lens trimmed and fit on my 4th attempt and one lens that will be good enough for a back up once I stop drill a tiny crack in the corner.

It seems to me my two other lenses may have broke because the material was more brittle than the pieces that came out ok.

Two lens just shattered in half when barely any squeeze from my fingers. The other two I actually tried to break intentionally the same way(squeezing the top and bottom edges towards each other). I was unable to break them.

I’m certain that the materials are different in some way. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

I found that heating up the cut by forcing a cut off wheel or using a dull vibrating cutting blade will create internal tensions along the edge of the plexi. So for me, I use only new vibrating blades for the cuts. I also dress the edges by scraping them with the back edge of a utility knife blade & at least #400 grit sand paper.
As for squeezing the lens- I have found that if trimmed just so, you should be able to maneuver it thru the wing skin opening. I haven't had to force my lenses into place.

I have bent up my own lenses on the last few planes using acrylic sheet (not Lexan) bought at the local hardware stores, as they had LED lamps requiring custom lens dimensions. A fairly easy process -
- trace the leading edge profile, downsize it the thickness of the acrylic sheeting you will be bending on it.
- cut 2 pieces of plywood to that shape, attach a piece of metal sheeting (aluminum heater ducting sheet is perfect), you now have a form
- cut an oversized piece of acrylic sheet (cut a couple) to bend over the form
- while wife is not watching, preheat oven to 350F
- drape the acrylic sheet over the form & let it sag into place
- wearing oven mits, pull the heated form & acrylic out & hold the sheet to the form while it cools.

Back