What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Additional preflight check

N29945

I generally park my RV6A on pieces of cardboard to protect the coating on the concrete floor, I discovered the other day when I moved the plane to go flying there was a spot of 5606 staining the cardboard red, I found a leaking wheel cylinder, now my preflight check is to run my finger across the bottom of the wheel pant, it seems the wheel cylinder had been leaking for some time as per the accumulation dirt dust and oil inside of the wheel pant.
Jim Skinner
Exempt but donate, its a privilege.

Good Idea. I take a couple of rolled white paper towels and have then zip tied under my master cylinders to indicate if there is a leak there. The last one soaked the carpet and nearly drained the reservoir. I can see if they are red.

brake fluid leaks

Wow, I must be clueless as I have never in the 30+ years I've been flying had a leak in any of those areas.
Yes, I look at the hangar floor before I pull it out. Had a fitting leak in the cabin, But, that's all.
Guess I'm just lucky.
Art

I think this is great advice, I'd venture to say 20% of the RV's I have come in the shop have leaking/seeping brake calipers, the evidence is pretty obvious if you care to take the time to look (another reason I'm a fan of removing wheel pants to air up tires).
Nearly flat tires and leaks in this area drive me nuts!

Back