What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Cleaning "How to"

Frankster13

What are the best materials, techniques and cleaning agents for keeping a canopy clean? I am having a heck of a time getting a clean canopy and do not want to use anything that could cause damage to the surface. Thought I would reach out to the group rather than experiment.

What are the best materials, techniques and cleaning agents for keeping a canopy clean? I am having a heck of a time getting a clean canopy and do not want to use anything that could cause damage to the surface. Thought I would reach out to the group rather than experiment.

This topic is like the endless primer war, or the endless oil war. Everyone is gonna have their favorite and will defend it's virtues vigorously.

But, I use Plexus and a microfiber cloth.

Me Too

Plexus and a microfiber cloth is the best combo I’ve found. Mirror Glaze is a lot more work. Actually, clear water and the microfiber cloth does fairly well, but the Plexus is like magic.

+1 Plexus

Same here. Water is surprisingly good, but Plexus is even better.

Plexus and a microfiber cloth is the best combo I’ve found. Mirror Glaze is a lot more work. Actually, clear water and the microfiber cloth does fairly well, but the Plexus is like magic.

I use worm water in a bucket and a terry cloth to remove bugs and dust. Rinse the rag in the bucket before moving to the other side. Wipe dry with the same cloth. Then polish with plexus and a 100% cotton T shirt.

The water will lift the dirt from the surface and the terry cloth by design, will trap it inside the fibers so you are not just dragging the dirt around the canopy.

The Plexus will polish AND fill in fine scratches that you see when the sun hits it just right. Plexus also keeps future bugs from sticking as bad. I may try microfiber in place of the T shirt. The T shirt has worked well for 42 years.

Plexus

I use worm water in a bucket and a terry cloth to remove bugs and dust. Rinse the rag in the bucket before moving to the other side. Wipe dry with the same cloth. Then polish with plexus and a 100% cotton T shirt.

The water will lift the dirt from the surface and the terry cloth by design, will trap it inside the fibers so you are not just dragging the dirt around the canopy.

The Plexus will polish AND fill in fine scratches that you see when the sun hits it just right. Plexus also keeps future bugs from sticking as bad. I may try microfiber in place of the T shirt. The T shirt has worked well for 42 years.

This is the method I've used on plastic for a very long time. Not on my canopy but similar plastics mostly on convertible. I do prefer cloth diapers if available.

Don't wipe any surface in a circular motion. Ever look closely at swirlys? They are circles. It's tiny particles dragged over the paint or plastic. Wipe horizontal surfaces fore/aft. Wipe vertical surfaces up/down. No swirlys. Same process for washing or polishing the paint.

Another tip. Since the canopy isn't exactly horizontal/vertical, wipe the outside in one direction and inside 90 degrees the other direction. Makes it easy to see if the streaks are inside or out.

Last edited:

There’s nothing like bug water to attack a buggy windscreen. ��

Clean, or polish? For cleaning, I've used Plexus on cars and on my airplane canopy. For polishing and de-scratching, for it's always been Novus polishes and a Porter-Cable 7424XP. Makes short work of plastic renovation, including clear plexiglas canopies.

Last edited:
Back