What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

90 degree valve stem, main gear

I bought a set. Notice how the product description says for LSA’s and equivalent? That’s on there because of my feedback. Those tubes are paper thin and flimsy.

I sent em back, pulled out the checkbook and bought the “real ones” at several times the price.

I got the aero classic leak gaurds in 15-6x6 (90* stem) from dresser for around $75. They leak down a tad faster than my goodyears on the 6, but overall have held up fine for 250 hours. I am sure the michelins are nicer, but twice the cost.

Larry

I got the aero classic leak gaurds in 15-6x6 (90* stem) from dresser for around $75. They leak down a tad faster than my goodyears on the 6, but overall have held up fine for 250 hours. I am sure the michelins are nicer, but twice the cost.

Larry

Same here.

I went through two seats of the tubes that Larry mentioned. I was constantly putting air in them. I switched to Michelin tubes this fall. I’ve only put air in once after the temps dropped to below freezing. Yes, they are way too expensive.

I went through two seats of the tubes that Larry mentioned. I was constantly putting air in them. I switched to Michelin tubes this fall. I’ve only put air in once after the temps dropped to below freezing. Yes, they are way too expensive.

Mine would initially leak down pretty fast when the plane was still in the garage. PUlled the schrader valves to clean out the stems and there was a LOT of black gunk from the machining work (put soap on the stems to confirm they were leaking there. Poor QA at the factory. Put in all new shrader valves as well in case they were from a bad batch. Held air fine after that and called dresser to inform them of the QA issue.

Interestingly they always leaked down to 30 PSI and stopped. I deduced that the gasketed cap was able to hold 30 PSI even with the stem leak.
Larry

Last edited:
We put Goodyear tubes in the Cessna towplane last year. It seemed like the 90-degree valve stem was the better choice, but it costs TWICE as much as the same tube with a straight valve stem.

The mind boggles.

I purchased a similar tube from Desser last November. It was Aero Classic brand but listed for experimental only. They listed it as DTR20-500 15/600-6 90 experimental TR-87. The price was about $38 each. They were butyl rubber per the sales lady I talked to. I couldn’t tell any difference in rubber thickness when I installed them. I recently checked air pressure after the temp started warming up and it was within 2 lbs of what I put in at installation 4 months ago.
The only issue I had was the valve stem was really 90* and rides right next to the wheel. It was interesting that the plastic wrapping on them said “for ground use only.” I still haven’t figured out how I would “use” them other than when on the ground.

Ted Lockard
RV-10

tubes

Interesting thread....I just bought 3 of these from Desser.
When I spoke to customer service and asked the difference between these and the more expensive ones it was like...one is for certified the other for experimental but no real difference.

I guess if they don't work out I can flip them as hemorrhoid cushions as long as that 90 degree valve stem is not pointing up!

90 degree stem tubes worth it

You'll love being able to check and air your tires without removing the wheel pants.

Buy once, cry once.

Back