What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Armstrong -9A First Flight

SeanB

Well Known Member
First Flight, John Armstrong -9A

Witnessed my friend, John Armstrong, lift off for the first time today in his well built -9A. Great prep and all was very well executed. On to Phase 1, but first….time to celebrate! Congrats, John!

Attachments

• John first flight celebrate.jpg
    John first flight celebrate.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 359
  • John run up.jpg
    John run up.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Sean,
Tell your friend John he is going to have a great time with his plane. I have about 15 hours in mine so far after phase 1 and having a blast. It is so much more fun that the 172 I was flying.

Hey Rocky,

I will pass along your message. Glad to hear you are flying and enjoying yours! All the best!

oh...good

Saw the thread title and thought someone had to hand prop the 9 on the first flight out. Glad to see that I was WAY off.
The mindset and vocabulary must date me.
Anyway... the 9 and 9A are two of the best flying machines every designed.
Have owned a dozen planes over 45 years. Love the 9A the most.

Congrats, John!

Well done. Here I thought I'd be in the air before you or Sean. Alas, life has most definitely slowed my build. Thanks for the motivation!

Thanks everyone. It’s been quite a journey and it’s still hard to believe this collection of parts I’ve been working on for 13 years is finally an airplane. There are a number of people I need to thank, and first and foremost is my amazing wife Kim for her support and patience over the years (her car sat outside in Colorado winters for 8 years while I was building in the garage). Thanks also to my ground crew of Sean Blair, Chris McClernon, and Jay Brinkmeyer who helped make my first flight as boring as possible (which was a good thing), and finally thanks to Bob Condrey who introduced me to this sickness called airplane building and provided significant guidance and motivation throughout the build. The RV community is an amazing group!

P.S. Can't forget my parents who gave me the work ethic and persistence needed for a project like this. Thanks Mom and Dad!

Attachments

• First Flight.jpeg
    First Flight.jpeg
    551.5 KB · Views: 219
Thanks Vlad. Sean gave that bottle to me quite a few years ago and I decided to save it for my first flight. It was worth the wait!

Congrats on getting it flying John!! The real fun begins now, Enjoy. :D

We'll have to met up and go over the rock pile for at pizza at Amicas in Salida.

Back