What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

TW Endorsement and RV-7 Trng in AZ

[email protected]

Well Known Member
Hello Folks! Will you help me develop a plan?

I'm reaching out seeking your guidance and help to find the right people who could provide training in or near Arizona. I'm based out of KTYL (Taylor, AZ)

I'm a ~550hr VFR Private pilot with no TW endorsement nor any training in an RV-7. Yet, the RV-7 is what I decided to build a little over 5 years ago. I'm hoping my RV-7 will receive its airworthiness cert in the next couple of months.

My approach has been to just take things one step at a time, in the proper sequence. So, I didn't see any need to begin TW or transition training until near completion of the RV-7.

I currently own a Cherokee 180 and am willing to fly it anywhere within AZ or to neighboring states in order to receive training. I'm not aware of anyone in AZ who can provide both TW training as as well as an RV-7 aircraft for this training? So, one plan would be to obtain TW training/endorsement with someone in AZ, then travel to Texas where Alex De Dominicis provides transition training in his RV-7 (see rvtraining.com). I've already contacted Alex and he requires that I have my TW endorsement before coming to him.

Can someone provide contact information for TW training? How about RV-7 transition training in or near AZ?

Thank you and I really appreciate your advice!

Ryan

What about first flight?

Another question I've had on my mind: If you were me, would you pilot that first flight?

My engine was built by JB Aircraft engines Sebring, FL. However, this engine has not been run. So, I have an untested engine and untested airframe.

Should I be hiring a test pilot? What would you do if you were me?

Thanks!
Ryan

Insurance

I sent a PM, but I left one thing out.

Talk with insurance brokers and select a company. The requirements imposed by the insurance company with regard to checkout may alter your plans.

Another question I've had on my mind: If you were me, would you pilot that first flight?

My engine was built by JB Aircraft engines Sebring, FL. However, this engine has not been run. So, I have an untested engine and untested airframe.

Thanks!
Ryan

Probably the best thing you can do is to find an EAA FLight Advisor to talk with about your specific experience, goals, and options - no two builder/pilot’s situations are the same, and generic advice on the internet that doesn’t take into account your specific experience is really just noise.

For instance, I knew a pilot who was one of the top aerobatic pilots in a first-world country, and he had only about 600 hours total time. Al of it, however, was stick and rudder, and his profession meant that he knew how to handle emergencies in a calm manner (he was a cosmonaut….). Very different situation from someone who had flown lots of straight and level cross-country in that same number of hours.

For tailwheel training, you might also consider Bruce Bohanon in the Houston area. He’s got a Cub that is loads of fun, and he’s outstanding in teaching you to really fly.

Thank You!

Thank you Jim & Paul for taking time to respond!

I've been thinking that a flight advisor is exactly what I need regarding the decision of first flight given my RV-7 circumstances.

I'll be reaching out!

Ryan

Hello Folks! Will you help me develop a plan?

I'm reaching out seeking your guidance and help to find the right people who could provide training in or near Arizona. I'm based out of KTYL (Taylor, AZ)

I'm a ~550hr VFR Private pilot with no TW endorsement nor any training in an RV-7. Yet, the RV-7 is what I decided to build a little over 5 years ago. I'm hoping my RV-7 will receive its airworthiness cert in the next couple of months.

My approach has been to just take things one step at a time, in the proper sequence. So, I didn't see any need to begin TW or transition training until near completion of the RV-7.

I currently own a Cherokee 180 and am willing to fly it anywhere within AZ or to neighboring states in order to receive training. I'm not aware of anyone in AZ who can provide both TW training as as well as an RV-7 aircraft for this training? So, one plan would be to obtain TW training/endorsement with someone in AZ, then travel to Texas where Alex De Dominicis provides transition training in his RV-7 (see rvtraining.com). I've already contacted Alex and he requires that I have my TW endorsement before coming to him.

Can someone provide contact information for TW training? How about RV-7 transition training in or near AZ?

Thank you and I really appreciate your advice!

Ryan

https://www.vansaircraft.com/rv-flight-training/

I would recommend emailing Mike Seager and asking if he does both - I suspect the answer would be the same. Check with your insurance company and see what the minimum TW time is as well.

https://www.classicairaviation.com/tailwheel-endorsement-fast-track/

I don't think Desert Rat is open in Maricopa anymore but worth investigating.

I've already contacted Alex and he requires that I have my TW endorsement before coming to him.

There’s a reason for this (quote, above). As you know or should know, commercial use of an EAB is not allowed. Any legitimate RV transition trainer who furnishes the airplane will have a waiver to this rule (a ‘LODA’). Now, there is some variation from FSDO to FSDO, but most LODAs emphasize that the cfi may only sign off ‘transition training given’. No high power endorsement, no biennial Flight Review, no instrument training, no TW endorsement.

So find someone with a Cub or other normally certified TW, get the endorsement, then look for RV 7 specific transition training.

As others have said, if you plan to insure the airplane, talk to an agent and find out what the insurance company(s) want in terms of training. I like and recommend Gallagher Agency (VAF advertiser and, at OSH, beer supplier).

I see no one has answered your question about first flight, hire a test pilot, yes or no?
IMHO this is a highly personal decision only you can make. After transition training you should have the stick and rudder competency to do the first flight. The question is the mental one: if trouble develops and the right choice is to put it down in a corn field, an impartial test pilot won’t hesitate. Would you?

Thanks!
Ryan

Sending you a PM. There's a guy at Stellar who can help you out. He's transitioned a few people in a multitude of AC.

Back