What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Advanced 5700 question

Fenderbean

Well Known Member
I'm just wondering, is this panel designed for the all touch scree cockpit? If I understand this correct(probably wrong) but could you not use one of these and do all functions needed to for both VFR and IFR by touch and the turn nobs on something like the Garmin series Nav/Com/GPS?

I'm just wondering, is this panel designed for the all touch scree cockpit? If I understand this correct(probably wrong) but could you not use one of these and do all functions needed to for both VFR and IFR by touch and the turn nobs on something like the Garmin series Nav/Com/GPS?

You can use either touch screen functions or buttons/knobs on AFS screens at your discretion.

I believe the 5700 is the only device that doesn’t come with knobs.

If you’ve connected it to a Skyview network, you can add the knobs any time by plugging the knob panel into the network.

https://www.dynoncertified.com/knob-control-panel.php

Sort of..... The two external modules supply some of the functions of the knobs, but not all. In my opinion the joystick is the most used knob, at least by me.

The buttons or touchscreen can bring up a 10 key to allow you to put in numeric input in a variety of fields that would normal be controlled by a knob.

Last edited:
If you’ve connected it to a Skyview network, you can add the knobs any time by plugging the knob panel into the network.

https://www.dynoncertified.com/knob-control-panel.php

Does this only work the three functions listed on the control nobs or would it act similar to the 5500/5800 knobs for changing features on the screen. Forgive my ignorance if the knobs on the 5800/5500 only control the same features listed on the linked control head.

Reason im asking is I was just curious if you could in theory have the 5700 only and then add a control head that isnt attached. I have not used one, and typically the only thing I use knobs for is tuning frequency or changing pages (which can be done with push buttons on the 5700)

Last edited:
Does this only work the three functions listed on the control nobs or would it act similar to the 5500/5800 knobs for changing features on the screen. Forgive my ignorance if the knobs on the 5800/5500 only control the same features listed on the linked control head.

Reason im asking is I was just curious if you could in theory have the 5700 only and then add a control head that isnt attached. I have not used one, and typically the only thing I use knobs for is tuning frequency or changing pages (which can be done with push buttons on the 5700)

Just those three functions…I don’t think the knobs are assignable. I have a 5400, so I have two knobs that I can assign to other things. For the cost of this little panel and ease of installation it’s a nice addition. I don’t need much…most of my entry functions I do on my IFD440, so I have most of the keyboard entry stuff either on the touch pad display, the little bluetooth keyboard I keep in my pocket, or my iPad when I’ve slaved the 440 toto my iPad

Just those three functions…I don’t think the knobs are assignable. I have a 5400, so I have two knobs that I can assign to other things. For the cost of this little panel and ease of installation it’s a nice addition. I don’t need much…most of my entry functions I do on my IFD440, so I have most of the keyboard entry stuff either on the touch pad display, the little bluetooth keyboard I keep in my pocket, or my iPad when I’ve slaved the 440 toto my iPad

Thought this maybe the case, is there anything you cannot do with the 5700 since it doesnt have the extra control knobs? It seems to be a common middle screen choice but I was a bit curious to know if it still had all the same features/possibles as the versions with the knobs and control stick.
So I assume you could do all the features the extra control heads offer on screen?

Back