What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

stabilator hinge

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
curious to as if anyone has found their hinge bearings move in their housing as is the subject of a service bulletin of 8/2016 or 2017. mine both have moved apparently from taxiing? there has never been any trauma to my stab in the build or in my hangar. plane is waiting for this to be resolved for its first flight. tomorrow i will follow 5-20 in the maintenance manual to fix this. having a little trouble accepting the fact these bearings moved. it was noticed when the skin on the stab became tight against the fuselege.

I flew my 12 for a few years before I noticed my stabilator bearings had moved. I really hate pulling that stabilator, but it was necessary. Followed the notification instructions with Loctite, and have never had an issue since.

I installed a 4” circular inspection port on the starboard side of the fuselage near the tail. It enables me to grab the counterweight arm to guide the stabilator alignment to the hinges. It has saved me a lot of frustration.

i have done the recommended repair and the plane is back together.
advice just learned the hard way.......only disconnect elec. trim at ast. otherwise you have lots of washers to get in place in hard to get at places.
make a ''hook'' out of 1'' x 1/8'' alum. bar. bend a hook on one end and with the proper size hole and slot in the end you can pull hard enough on the cable to reattach without readjusting cables.

Back