What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Super Track vs Tip up/Slider mod

joew

Well Known Member
While I'm in the finishing portion of my build (about three years now), I'm considering adding mods as opposed to doing them to a completed plane. So far I'm adding a smoke system (hidden tank) and the "almost RV 14" seat mod.

I was going for the award tip up slider when I discovered the super track system. Looks like the purpose for both is cargo access. Is one better or easier to install than the other?

Those who have seem or used both, what do you think? Pros, cons.

I look forward to hearing what you fine folks have to say

Joe

Perpetual Builder

I can't speak to the tip-up/slider mod but I have Super Track installed and love it. Our EAA Chapter http://eaa21.org hosts a monthly First Saturday Fly-In and I bring the food for the event. Coolers and bags of food are easily loaded and unloaded while standing on the ramp beside the plane.

Last edited:
I have the Meske tip-up slider mod on mine. Hugely improves luggage access. Rather than rooting for one over the other, I'd say pick which ever design you like and do it. The access improvement is worth it.

I just finished installing supertracks as part of a new build, simple and sturdy. If you are still in the build process you can save a few bucks and delete the track extension from the kit and order an RV8 spine track from Vans then you won't have to splice the track.

Jake

I have the slider tip up mod now. Talked with Fly Boys at OSH. Thinking now about converting to the super track mod. My current slider tip up works good but I do believe the super track will work better for my needs. Will keep you updated if I make the swirch.

I put the 14 mod in first and then hit the canopy getting in and out. The super track fixed that.

Last edited:
Forget the kits.

Notch the slider track, exactly the width of the block. Slightly taper leads on the notch edges and block edges.

V-notch the rails 11.5" back from the roll bar, about a 60 degree included angle.

Drill out skirt brace/tube rivet. Make a prop rod. Drill a hole in the nylon pin block.

Takes about 1 1/2 hours depending on if the parts are installed or not, plus time to study the monkey motion and get comfortable with positioning the cuts.

Being able to tip the slider for baggage access convinced a friend a -14 was not for him with its difficult baggage access.

John Siebold

Last edited:
Forget the kits.

Notch the slider track, exactly the width of the block. Slightly taper leads on the notch edges.

V-notch the rails 11.5" back from the roll bar, about a 60 degree included angle.

Drill out a rivet in the skirt. Make a prop rod. Drill a hole in the nylon pin block.

Takes about 1 1/2 hours depending on if the parts are installed or not, plus time to study the monkey motion and get comfortable with positioning the cuts.

Being able to tip the slider for baggage access convinced a friend a -14 was not for him with its difficult baggage access.

John Siebold
John. This sounds very interesting and I am trying to visualize the process in my head. Do you have a build log or any photos available for this mod? Thanks. Dave

Forget the kits.

Notch the slider track, exactly the width of the block. Slightly taper leads on the notch edges and block edges.

Drill out skirt brace/tube rivet. Make a prop rod. Drill a hole in the nylon pin block.

John Siebold
+1 for pics. How does the front of the canopy pivot on the stock rollers?

+2 for the photos/drawing

This really sounds like a good alternative to a pricey kit. Have been putting off buying the Super Tracks and this may be the solution I've been looking for.

I went with the Supertracks options to avoid the possibility of the wind catching the slider "tipped up". That was one of the reasons I went with the slider to begin with.

Supertracks...

I have a tip up slider. It was installed before I bought the plane. It is nice. I think the super tracks are nicer. If mine did not already have the tip up slider, I would buy the super tracks. I think it is the coolest mod I have seen...

Slider tip up

I did what John said to do 3 years ago. I have almost 50 cents in the mod. I use it all the time. I do not have to remove one nut to take the canopy off for maintenance. Works great, does require a little training to work correctly, maybe 5 minutes.

Sorry, guys, no pics. Play with it. The canopy would tip if the block weren't engaged to the rail. Ergo, notch the rail. Disengaged from the rail, the canopy won't tip because the roller brackets are blocked from pivoting on their wheel axle by the slider track. Ergo, ...wait for it!... notch the tracks. The track notch requires the most planning so you don't cut over deep into the track, and radius the forward cut edge to let the canopy bow nest in at full tip. Careful about providing clearance between the canopy exterior latch handle and the roll bar fairing layup.

If you leave off the nuts on the bracket retention bolts (they can't fall out with the canopy closed), you can pop the bolts out and lift off the canopy in 15 seconds, 13 of which are walking around the tail from one side to the other.

John Siebold

I have installed both and I have to say that the Supertracks are far superior IMHO. The tipup slider mod is a little "Mickey Mouse" in comparison to the Super Tracks. The Super Tracks are easier to install also.

Oshkosh sale

Hey folks, we are just on our way home from the show and saw this thread. For anyone interested in our Supertracks, you can use the coupon code OSH10 on our site now through August 31 to get 10% off any one item. That puts Supertracks down to show pricing, or you can use it on any other item!

Coupon Didn't work

Hi Blake,

I tried the OSH10 coupon, but then when applied it said it wasn't valid...??

Let me know....trying to give you some more business.

Thx,

Ed,

Blake just left for a few days to attend a wedding in California. No worries, I'll get you taken care of, even if I'm not as computer savvy as young Blake.

Drop me an email to [email protected] or call me at 812-464-1839.

Vince

Hi Blake,

I tried the OSH10 coupon, but then when applied it said it wasn't valid...??

Let me know....trying to give you some more business.

Thx,

Back