What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JPI EDM 930 Fuel Level Indication, Odd Behaviour

JonJay

Well Known Member
Short flight yesterday just to keep oil moving around.
Prior to this flight, I had accumulated 1.5 flight hours since last fuel fill up. Totalizer showed 24 gallons useable, close to what I expected (I always check this prior to flight as the fuel gauges while on the ground, as we know, are not accurate).
In the air, left tank read around 10 gallons. Right tank read something above 13 (where my float tops out). Standard Stewart Warner resistive senders.
About ten minutes into the flight, I notice my Right tank is indicating much lower than I expected, then Right tank fuel warning below 5 gallons. Shoot, that sender must be going out or I have a hole in my tank or a hose spewing fuel! No fuel smell, so pretty sure it is the sender.
Just for safeties sake, switched to Left tank. Right tank indication started hunting, up, then back down, then up. Possible sender failure.

Then, my Left tank indication started doing the same thing!
I landed shortly thereafter. I cycled the 930 and all seemed to be back to normal. Nothing else was amiss.

There is no commonality between the senders except the 930. Both senders are grounded to the airframe at their respective local locations.

Anyway, JPI is closed for the Holiday. I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone has experienced anything similar.

Same thing with GRT 4000

I have a couple of problems with my EIS4000. Both fuel gauges will occasionally read about half what they should. This happens about every third flight. They start out ok then change all at once. I cycle power to the unit and they read correctly for the rest of the flight. The second problem is the buttons will not work when the unit is cool.(less than 20 degrees F) The plane has been flying since 2009.

I have a couple of problems with my EIS4000. Both fuel gauges will occasionally read about half what they should. This happens about every third flight. They start out ok then change all at once. I cycle power to the unit and they read correctly for the rest of the flight. The second problem is the buttons will not work when the unit is cool.(less than 20 degrees F) The plane has been flying since 2009.

Thanks Doug.
JPI has a free upgrade program for the 930 right now. I might have to look into it. Perhaps this is a bug they know about. Odd, I have over 700 hours on this unit and have never had this issue. I have never had an issue in the cold either, but I don't have a lot of time flying in under 20deg F, but I have done it a few times.

Back