What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider removal

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
I wanted to share a solution I came up with to remove the slider canopy without too much work:

- I cut the right track and made an insert to lock the roller in.
- The left track has a cutout for the roller.

To remove the canopy I unscrew the insert and push the right roller through the opening in the track. Then I move the canopy slightly aft and remove the right roller through the cutout in the left track.
I think it would be good enough to just make the cutouts the same on both sides like I did on the left track. Also I believe it will not overstress the canopy to bend it in one inch for removal.
The modification is easily reversible with the installation of new tracks.
I made two strips with nutplates on it which holds the tracks, so it is easy to remove and reinstall the insert.

Here are the pics:

IMG_0626edit.jpg

Right track

IMG_0628edit.jpg

Right track

IMG_0625edit.jpg

Left track

Why go to all that work? It takes very little time to pull the bolts out of the frame to roller, lift up and slide the rear block back off the track. I can get my canopy off or on in a couple of minutes. Don

Yes it is probably the easiest way to pull the bolts at the rollers.
And I didn?t think to the end and believe that the frame cannot be bent in because of the side skirt. I`m not at home so can?t confirm.

Also, you can

cut a window in the top of the rail to allow quick removal. In your case since you already have the side "ports"; you can just cut a window in the top of one rail and will not have to flex the canopy. The less strain and flexing the better. They will all crack sometime. The "window" just needs to be a little bigger than the roller. Another mod that is combined with this is an extended top track. This allows easy access to lifting luggage out; you untrack the rollers and slide the canopy completely behind the luggage area, protecting the fuselage skin with a cushion. I have a little spring lever that keeps the rollers from going all the way back to the windows until I want access to the luggage. Another alternative is to place the windows ahead of the rear position so that when the canopy is in track and fully back it can not blow up and out. Looks like your side "ports" have that method.
Dale
RV6a driver for 8 years now

Why go to all that work? It takes very little time to pull the bolts out of the frame to roller, lift up and slide the rear block back off the track. I can get my canopy off or on in a couple of minutes. Don
Hi. I so I have a regular slider (no moding done) on a 9A. I wanna pull off my canopy during each anual instead of climbling over the seats and squishing myself down in the baggage compartment like a grocery bag. What is the procedure please? Anything important to take note of? I didn't build it. Thx, DM

I replaced the roller to canopy screws with hitch pins and spring clips. After pulling the pins just slide the canopy off the center track. It's a little bit of a reach from the ground to put it back on if you are vertically challenged. This has worked well for me for three years now.

Hi. I so I have a regular slider (no moding done) on a 9A. I wanna pull off my canopy during each anual instead of climbling over the seats and squishing myself down in the baggage compartment like a grocery bag. What is the procedure please? Anything important to take note of? I didn't build it. Thx, DM

Remove the two bolts that hold the forward frame to the rollers and pull up. On the rear there is one bolt going through the rear slide block, remove and you are free. It is easier with two peps but I do it along just fine, set the rear portion on a towel after removing the rear bolt.

Back