What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nexus 7 pirep

gereed75

Well Known Member
I recently decided to upgrade my in cockpit EFB/GPS tablet. I had been using Anywhere map on an old dedicated tablet. It gave me many years of faithful service for primarily IFR flying and I loved the Anywhere map, software - great features and intuitive interface. But the display had terrible sunlight readability and although Anywhere map kept the updates active, it is a dying package. So....

After reading great things about the Nexus 7 screen and finding them available for cheap on the net, I decided to check it out. $125.00 later for a 2012 with 36 GB, updated to the latest Droid software and then time to pick some EFB software.

Offerings are somewhat limited for the Droids. With some reluctance about joining big brother, I downloaded the free Garmin Pilot trial. Right away it seemed to present a bit of a clunky learning curve, and I could not get the Nexus GPS to lock on. Was about to give it all the heave ho and decided to try the Ifly GPS app..... Really really impressed!!

Instantly easy learning curve, full featured, easy downloads and all the modern tablet convenience. The software is refreshingly spartan - all the features that you want for IFR flying and nothing too much to confuse you. Very efficient.

The tablet has very good sunlight readability. Not sure if it is the screen or the improved mapping data, but the sectionals are even bright and usable (they were worthless on the old set-up). The GPS locks on instantly and the tablet works seamlessly with the software.

For $125.00 hardware, $50.00 download and $80.00 per year subscription, you get it all. Can't imagine flying IFR without this or similar.

Next up will be an ADSB receiver.

I agree completely regarding the Nexus 7. I use one with Flightpln Go and have absolutely no problem reading sectionals in the cockpit. Great little tablet.

love Nexus 7

I use a Nexus 7 in my -4 with the free AVARE app. Works perfect and easy to see. I usually just lay it on my leg and move on ..not much room in a -4, so I can't justify anything larger.

I use a generic tablet mount I found at at Best Buy ($24.00). Integrated into my old universal mount from Anywhere map. Works great.

+1 for Avare on the nexus. You can even do ADSB in, using only the SDR (no pi required). Only downside is, the Nexus can't both accept external power and function with USB OTG to listen to the SDR. Probably could be worked around by rooting, but I haven't had time to try it. The SDR can be remotely powered (most of the power consumption) while the nexus runs on it's battery.

Charlie

i use avare on my nexus 7 and also on an extra samsung smart phone.great backup in your shirt pocket.
last week my nexus stopped receiving a gps signal.. anyone have any fixes ?

Last week I started having GPS problems with my 2012 nexus 7 also. I ended up rebooting several times to make it work . I was in Wisconsin at the time.

I have two running Garmin Pilot. One for backup. snyc with GDL39 on bluetooth. never had a problem. I am using 2013 2nd edition model with 32MB and load all the charts and plates for the country with memory to spare. No paper for two years now.

I have tried i think all the android moving map apps. The two best that i have found are garmin and naviator. I use a nexus 7 with naviator for passenger in back seat and a samsung tab s2 which is spectacular with naviator and garmin and then my phone which is an s6 active with garmin as a backup.

2013 Nexus 7 and Iffy Gps

I've been flying with a Nexus 7 and Ifly software for a couple years and love it. I mounted a ram mount directly to the panel and it's my main navigation system. I like being able to quickly remove and take it with me to charge and plan my next flight yet it's just like having a Efis with moving map but much cheaper.

Droid + Avair + Hardware

I'm working on an open-source addition to Avare that adds hardware pressure, gyros and magentometer to make it synth viz + ECAM + AP commanding.

http://sportvfr.blogspot.com/

This sub-project is on a slow burn lately, once I get the RV-6 flying, I will get on it for real.

Back