What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

E-Mag spark plug wires

TJCF16

Well Known Member
I have replaced at least 4 plug wire ends because they have come off the plug. I find the black clip on the metal terminal broke in half. These wires/ crimp ends are junk. Is anyone using some other brand of wires. This is really been a problem.

Summit racing (or Jegs, etc) has wire, boots and terminals in bulk. Any size and color under the rainbow.

Summit racing (or Jegs, etc) has wire, boots and terminals in bulk. Any size and color under the rainbow.

Does anyone have the terminal part number for the PMAG (Distributor) side of the wires? Or vehicle type that will work?

I believe the coil used by the pmag folks is an off the shelf Ford of some kind. That should narrow the search.

Here's what I got from emagair a couple of years ago:

The coil end terminal is an ETCO 90 degree bend Brass. We have them in house and I can send some to you. The only other places to check will be auto parts stores DT-1000-HB and I doubt they carry it and that it would be a special order.

is there nothing better?

I would sure like to know if there's a better solution for auto plug terminals in general. I hate trying to get the things on / off and never feel that great that they're going to be robust. I've never actually had one break or come loose but still, I miss being able to just tighten a nut and know it's on there like with aviation plugs.

Wire Terminals - Kingsbornehttps://www.kingsbornewires.com

i order a few extra for myself.

Keith Rhea
RV-7

A little bit of sleuthing with my friends at NAPA came up with wires that worked for my installation. If I recall, it was a set for an eight cylinder which gave me many options to get the correct length wires.

I still have the leftovers, and will get you a part number when I get to the hangar in a couple days.

I misremembered, they were for a six cylinder Ford Taurus (2001-2007).

NAPA p/n 700108

Z91jNrHl.jpg

What kind of wire are EMAG/PMAG operators using? The ones I have a Black labeled with "EMAG" and "High Performance Spiral Wound", a little under 8mm in OD. The Ohms I measure 0.675K ohms or 675 ohms to 890 ohms. Per foot that works out to 185 ohms/foot. That is low. It has Aircraft Plug ends on it, so I will modify them or sell them and start over for NGK's. The spiral is stainless or copper? Not sure. What wire do you use? 8mm? Spiral Wound? What Ohms per foot?

The BOOTS and TERMINALS on coil end is FEMALE, 6-6.5mm post recessed in the tower. It is like a LS1 coil pack I read? Not sure that is correct but the terminal has an Approx 4mm ID (can open up to accept coils 6mm terminal). EMAG uses an ETCO part. The part number is ETCO DT-1000-HB terminal. That looks right and what I have in my ENAG harness kit. You have to find distributor that sells small quantities. This is not the only solution, but the ETCO looks to be very high quality. Some designs don't use a metal terminal that makes the 90 degree turn in boot. Some have a fitting at the end of the wire. The wire makes the bend in the boot. I like the all metal ETCO style. When you pull on the 90 degree boot to remove it from coil, it does not pull on the spark plug wire directly.

The coil is EPMD54 (on PMAG Coil) and has many part numbers and used on many makes and models of autos: Ford Ranger L4 2.3L from about 1999 to 2011. From Amazon:
"Ignition Coil Compatible with 1999-2011 Ford Ranger, Contour, Escape, Focus - Mazda 6, B2300 Tribute - Mercury Mystique 1.6L 2.0L 2.3L L4, Replaces DG506, FD497, DG536, DG474" (added commas)

The Spark Plug end BOOT and TERMINAL is pretty standard stuff. There is a wide variety of boots and terminals. Also you have to match the diameter of wire with terminals you go with. Wire size, 8mm is large enough in my opinion. "Monster Wire" kike 10amm is over kill and may make it hard to fabricate and get terminals that will work with a fat wire. Many auto harnesses are 7mm.

I just barfed all this up for my own reference and it may help someone. It may be easier to buy the harness kits from EMAG. The price is reasonable. By the time you buy all the parts, 15 feet of plug wire per side, you will be into it for $60 a side or more. Which is not far off from what EMAG harness kit cost. A roll your own ala carte harness may cost much more. But for the roll your own DIY'ers this thread might be a good central repository of info on EMAG harnesses.

Last edited:
Back