What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skybolt oil door fasteners: instructions?

EdRv7

Anybody know of how I can find the installation instructions for the Skybolt oil door fasteners? I bought these camloc fasteners on Aircraft Spruce https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/sb-oildoor-fasteners.php
but they came with no installation instructions. And I can't find instructions for this model on the Skybolt site.

For instance, is it possible to install these without the specialized tool that pushes the ring onto the stud?

Any help much appreciated!

I just went thru this, and I didn't want to buy the special tool.
I just used a socket that was large enough to clear the legs of the stud, but still hit the shoulder of the star washer.

If I was doing these all around my cowl, I'd buy the correct tool, but for the two oil door fasteners, this method worked just fine.

Skybolts

Probably the same tool for regular Skybolts.
One tool looks like a pair of pliers. It just compresses the flange on the Skybolt so you can slip it into the ring. The other tool is to install the clip that locks the ring in place. Probably doable without special tools for two Skybolts.
I fabricated an install tool to squeeze the beauty ring in place or to push it out. You might also need a pin or awl to release the adjustable receptacle to adjust the position. They come with a plastic pin in place but they are useless once removed.

Heads up on Skybolt fasteners

I love them , BUT:
If you use retainer rings, it is hard to get the cowl on with the studs sticking out trying to scratch everything.
The arc of the oil door probably wont allow the studs in the holes.
So, dissapointing it is, but a small cup holds the studs for reinstall pretty quickly.

BTW, I have both tools to sell you if interested 😊

Back